Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP! Broke friend's tripod..

Default Re: HELP! Broke friend's tripod..

great, thanks! will give them a call later.

Quote Originally Posted by lilithfiend View Post
    yea i do want to buy a new one, just dunno where to get since you guys say its usually bundled with the camera. he's got other tripods so i doubt he wants a new one..and if i confess, he won't want me to buy or pay for it cos...he's my bf's father!!!
    HAHAHA. then i am sure he is a nice guy and so you can just tell him, even after you fix it. get it fixed or buy a new one and tell him what happened. not very wise to try to bluff your bf's father..haha. or you can just admit it and see what he says, of course you must apologise and offer to pay..

I think you really need to be more careful when handling equipment.... regardless of whether it's your own or others.

Personally, I feel if you don't, then don't borrow lor... it's not about whether the item is cheap or not, but the principle of responsible borrowing.

Just my 2cents.. not a personal attack.
    Nikon D80,D300,D700.Tokina 12-24,Tamron 90,Nikon 18-200, 70-200, 80-400, 50, 85, 17-55, 24-70 & no $

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Its a good time to purchase better tripod. Perhaps your friend can forgive you for that.
    perhaps her friend will be grateful to her

Well TS.... while I don't think its such a big deal replacing such a cheapo tripod (lets hope it really is a cheapo tripod)... It would do well for you to be careful next time. I mean, since you borrow from your friend.... it will do well for you to take good care of his/her stuff.

But worry not..... likely the tripod is one of those cheap aluminium type with a 'NIKON' sticker on it only.....

Scuba & Father... For Life

Blog Entries

yes, your friend should thank you for breaking his tripod.... these are just oem tripods with Nikon , Sony or Canon stickers attached that are not stable under any load conditions above 1kg.

Should just compensate your friend $30-40 to subsidize his purchase of a REAL tripod

just buy your friend a better tripod than the one he lent you. i think all will be forgiven.. manfotto comes to mind...

cannot! i cannot tell him la. the last time i used his camera on a overseas trip, i dropped the lens cover into the river! if i tell him i broke his tripod, i think i really can forget about borrowing anything else next time.
    Did you consider maybe that's why he lent you this tripod and not a more expensive one..

after reading this again.... are you sure it just isn't the removable tripod head that came off? is it a rectangle piece of hard plastic with the screw attached to it? or did the whole screw come off?

thanks guys for all your replies!

rijac > yes, the whole screw came off. as in it broke la. hard to describe. i don't even know how it could break! unless it broke when i dropped it.

lsisaxon > yes, that came to mind. haha, but cannot blame him..

Well, really, if you're friends, least you could do is tell him right?

I'm going to agree with lsisaxon that there's a reason why the cheapo tripod was offered.

In any case the good news it's only the quick release that's spoilt. The bad news is that I'm not sure if there're replacements about. These are really *cheap* tripods we're talking about here. I doubt there're any replacements short of finding one from someone who has a damaged tripod.

What I'd do is simply own up, apologise and offer to either get a replacement ($30-$50 from these forums) or offer that amount towards a new tripod or accessory.

And oh, maybe take a little more effort in learning to be less clumsy. It's not just friends. Helps in life too.

Quote Originally Posted by luna_sea83 View Post
    Maybe your friend will even thank you for tht so that he can have a good excuse to get a better tripod
    Old one never go, how to get new one...

time to BBB
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Think you are in luck, someone has a nikon tripod for sale at $30 on the classifieds right now.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551009
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

I think... in these circumstances, owning up to one mistakes is always the right path to take. If it's me and im going to get a rolicking because of it so be it. It's my mistake anyways. Put yourself in the other side and if someone broke something of yours, wouldn't you want the other party to at least tell you about it? If you lost his trust in you to allow him to borrow you things, then no choice, you have to gain it back. You would expect the same thing too if it happens to you.

And I think he somehow presume you will mess things up when he borrowed his cheap tripod instead of something more expensive... so he wouldn't be too mad about it i presume.

Nothing personal, just my humble views on it.

I got to agree with zsubari. Putting my shoes in your fren's, I wouldn't want to find out that you I was fooled. If you're ready to compensate, just let your freind know.
    |SonyA700|T180mmf3.5|M70-210mmf4|S30mmf1.4|T17-50mmf2.8|T90mmf2.8|M5600hsdX2|

just get a manfrotto man! all will be forgiven. he might even offer to lend you his most awesome camera

Better come clean. A simple lie could need a lot more lies to cover up and before you knew it, you can come clean anymore. Who knows the lender might be testing you in the 1st place by lending you a broken tripod and see how you react. Telling the truth will solve all this problem.

For my case, If someone had borrowed my things and lost/damage it and get me a replacement without telling me, I would be damn angry. Sometimes $$ is not all the solution. If the tripod belongs to yr BF's father, why not tell yr BF and see what he says.

I agree with most of the people here in about being honest and telling your friend about the mishap. Probably you can bring your friend to some reputed camera shops to try out the good tripods available (He would have known or most likely would understand the value of his tripod now). You can then be generous and budge in the broken tripod $$ on his new purchase. If he decides to replace the exact one, you can buy a new one off the shelf with his presence so that he wont doubt it whether it's new or not.

yea i do want to buy a new one, just dunno where to get since you guys say its usually bundled with the camera. he's got other tripods so i doubt he wants a new one..and if i confess, he won't want me to buy or pay for it cos...he's my bf's father!!!

i also want my own equipment..just too broke for it right now!
    ah.. the most crucial bit is this part..
    I suggest you buy him the tripod, and then own up.
    Since it's bought, he will have to accept it.
    Since you're honest about it, he'll be happier abt it.

He probably lent you a tripod that he considers "disposable" in the 1st place (super wild assumption). For example, one of those $800 tripods can shatter easily if used wrongly, I really doubt he'll lend you...

Look lilithfiend, everyone here is as equally kan cheong about your boyfriend's Father as well as your broken tripod. I read your postings with palpitation too.
    Why don't you do all a favour and just snap a picture of the tripod in the whole, and the broken part? Why? Because firstly someone will be able to identify it and give a valuation of its worth in monetary terms, secondly, someone will also be able to assess the degree of damage.
    Quick quick.. we are all waiting for you...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast