Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 75

Thread: what do you think abt the act of keep locking threads up?

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: what do you think abt the act of keep locking threads up?

    Perhaps the locking of threads is also due to too many OT happening in the forums? Some are really nonsense talk only nothing to do with photography.

  2. #22
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: what do you think abt the act of keep locking threads up?

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin View Post
    Perhaps the locking of threads is also due to too many OT happening in the forums? Some are really nonsense talk only nothing to do with photography.
    Not because of this, is just that we have many very honest and very direct members here will tell people that they are posting snapshots.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  3. #23
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: what do you think abt the act of keep locking threads up?

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin View Post
    Perhaps the locking of threads is also due to too many OT happening in the forums? Some are really nonsense talk only nothing to do with photography.
    It's difficult to OT when photography is about life and living.

  4. #24

    Default Re: what do you think abt the act of keep locking threads up?

    I realise that too! Hmm, living in self-denial?

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: what do you think abt the act of keep locking threads up?

    And only 1 pic..


    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    just go to Photo Galleries see which are the locked threads has only one or two posts.

  6. #26

    Default Re: what do you think abt the act of keep locking threads up?

    All I can say is, is his/hers choice.

    I can respect that.

    However, the pictures are really bad, even for casual snap shots.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  7. #27

    Default Re: what do you think abt the act of keep locking threads up?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    All I can say is, is his/hers choice.

    I can respect that.

    However, the pictures are really bad, even for casual snap shots.
    KO

  8. #28

    Default Re: what do you think abt the act of keep locking threads up?

    If he wants to share, just let him share. If he does not want comments, then locking up his thread is a way of not having to deal with comments. Just like there are people like him, there are also others who insist on delivering their comments & opinions even when comments are not welcomed.

  9. #29

    Default Re: what do you think abt the act of keep locking threads up?

    Quote Originally Posted by zero o View Post
    If he wants to share, just let him share. If he does not want comments, then locking up his thread is a way of not having to deal with comments. Just like there are people like him, there are also others who insist on delivering their comments & opinions even when comments are not welcomed.
    i think there is a premise that if you post your works up on internet, it is for commentary.

    so why should we select against people when it comes to that? because they don't say what we like to hear?then the problem has to lie with the listener, not the person who comments.

  10. #30

    Default Re: what do you think abt the act of keep locking threads up?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    actually there is no need to lock after posting ... just politely state that TS does not want any comments/bad reviews/etc...
    that's true

    in fact, i wager there'd be commenting on the line that he doesn't want any comments, etc

  11. #31
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: what do you think abt the act of keep locking threads up?

    Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    Actually.. what I felt is that, maybe the person can start 1 thread, then post all his pictures in that thread (since there will not be any comments as thread is locked).. then it will not take up too many slots on the CS pages. Once you start a thread, another entry got pushed back deeper..

    Not sure if threads can be unlocked after it is locked?
    the original issue is the photos were post all over the places, some even our mods also don't know how to categorize them, so got a few warnings before, and I don't think our admin want to create a snapshot gallery for that.

    so put all photos into one thread that will not work, unless it is at A Photo A Day Project 2009, and that will be the one and only post and lock APAD thread in four years history.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  12. #32

    Default Re: what do you think abt the act of keep locking threads up?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i think there is a premise that if you post your works up on internet, it is for commentary.

    so why should we select against people when it comes to that? because they don't say what we like to hear?then the problem has to lie with the listener, not the person who comments.
    The premise that it is up for commentary is at best a internet community expectation / norm. It is not expressively stated anywhere that one has to expect / give / accept / reject commentary or otherwise. The internet does not have rules governing commentary nor does it have selection process as to who can comment or otherwise. Just like some like very much to force their comments / opinion onto others, there are also those who dont want to listen. Can you honestly say one person is in the right whlist the other is in the wrong ?

  13. #33

    Default Re: what do you think abt the act of keep locking threads up?

    Quote Originally Posted by zero o View Post
    The premise that it is up for commentary is at best a internet community expectation / norm. It is not expressively stated anywhere that one has to expect / give / accept / reject commentary or otherwise. The internet does not have rules governing commentary nor does it have selection process as to who can comment or otherwise. Just like some like very much to force their comments / opinion onto others, there are also those who dont want to listen. Can you honestly say one person is in the right whlist the other is in the wrong ?
    so what is an internet forum for?

    for exchange of ideas, and information.

    i believe this includes statement of opinions, and the fact that people will have different opinions.

    else, there is no use for a forum, whole day just tcss, and buddy comment each other?

  14. #34

    Default Re: what do you think abt the act of keep locking threads up?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    so what is an internet forum for?

    for exchange of ideas, and information.

    i believe this includes statement of opinions, and the fact that people will have different opinions.

    else, there is no use for a forum, whole day just tcss, and buddy comment each other?
    The internet is a lot of things to a lot of people. To you it may be all those things you have mentioned above, but to some other people, it may be totally different. Just like everyone has different opinions, people also have different wants / needs / desires for being on the internet. You cannot force your opinion / expectations on others, just like you expect others not to force their's unto you.
    Last edited by zero o; 28th July 2009 at 12:12 PM.

  15. #35

    Default Re: what do you think abt the act of keep locking threads up?

    Quote Originally Posted by zero o View Post
    The internet is a lot of things to a lot of people. To you it may be all those things you have mentioned above, but to some other people, it may be totally different. Just like everyone has different opinions, people also have different wants / needs / desires for being on the internet. You cannot force your opinion / expectations on others, just like you expect others not to force their's unto you.
    this is the most enjoyable part everytime.

    the fact that you have committed to this ideology that people should not force their opinions on others. i say, there is no forcing. there is only statement, if people not happy, then they discuss further, and see what it is. nothing to do with forcing.

    on the other hand, you keep pushing the point that people should not force their opinions on each other on me. isn't that a way of forcing either?

    you have to see things from a broader perspective, differences in opinion will exist, there is more respect given when you state what you think of something, as opposed to just ignoring it, because you have considered the opposing party's point of view.

    can we take offense? do we have opinions?

    the answer is yes and yes. maybe i will quote salman rushdie once again, who makes a whole load of sense, if you ask me. he was talking about opinions on religion, but i think it applies to opinions as a whole, how it should be done, and why people normally fail to receive or give opinions properly:

    Quote Originally Posted by Salman Rushdie
    The idea that any kind of free society can be constructed in which people will never be offended or insulted is absurd. So too is the notion that people should have the right to call on the law to defend them against being offended or insulted. A fundamental decision needs to be made: do we want to live in a free society or not? Democracy is not a tea party where people sit around making polite conversation. In democracies people get extremely upset with each other. They argue vehemently against each otherís positions. (But they donít shoot.)

    At Cambridge University I was taught a laudable method of argument: you never personalise, but you have absolutely no respect for peopleís opinions. You are never rude to the person, but you can be savagely rude about what the person thinks. That seems to me a crucial distinction: people must be protected from discrimination by virtue of their race, but you cannot ring-fence their ideas. The moment you say that any idea system is sacred, whether itís a religious belief system or a secular ideology, the moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible.

  16. #36

    Default Re: what do you think abt the act of keep locking threads up?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    just go to Photo Galleries see which are the locked threads has only one or two posts.
    Sprot kha ah??

  17. #37

    Default Re: what do you think abt the act of keep locking threads up?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    this is the most enjoyable part everytime.

    the fact that you have committed to this ideology that people should not force their opinions on others. i say, there is no forcing. there is only statement, if people not happy, then they discuss further, and see what it is. nothing to do with forcing.

    on the other hand, you keep pushing the point that people should not force their opinions on each other on me. isn't that a way of forcing either?

    you have to see things from a broader perspective, differences in opinion will exist, there is more respect given when you state what you think of something, as opposed to just ignoring it, because you have considered the opposing party's point of view.

    can we take offense? do we have opinions?

    the answer is yes and yes. maybe i will quote salman rushdie once again, who makes a whole load of sense, if you ask me. he was talking about opinions on religion, but i think it applies to opinions as a whole, how it should be done, and why people normally fail to receive or give opinions properly:

    If you want to look at things in a broader perspective, history has proven itself time and again that (a) different opinions exists (b) groups with differing opinions will engage each other continuously (c) this engagement will continue until either one party is convinced, or one party gives up, or in an act of physical warfare, one party is defeated. (d) or both parties agree to disagree. Its a question of how much energy and effort you want to put into the "crusade" and what outcome you desire to achieve.

    And the irony of the whole thing is - most of these fights are about opinions.. and i say again opinions. There is no absolute right / wrong Or is there ? If we put this to a debate proper with university students and debators, do you think either party will submit and say ... "Oops ..OH yeah .. you are right ...."


    So perhaps this is argument for argument sake

  18. #38
    Member tammyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    brunei, malaysia, singapore
    Posts
    219

    Default Re: what do you think abt the act of keep locking threads up?

    complicated....
    there must have a reason for locking up the thread? besides not wanting any comment?
    maybe he has a bad experiences before?
    i go check it out first...
    The thing that i fear the most, is that my pictures will bore you to death...

  19. #39

    Default Re: what do you think abt the act of keep locking threads up?

    Quote Originally Posted by tammyt View Post
    i go check it out first...
    always the Light, .... always.

  20. #40

    Default Re: what do you think abt the act of keep locking threads up?

    Quote Originally Posted by tammyt View Post
    complicated....
    there must have a reason for locking up the thread? besides not wanting any comment?
    maybe he has a bad experiences before?
    i go check it out first...
    No need to check lah, it's that simple, not wanting comment.

    Anyway, the open discussion above is why I like the forum so much. Intelligent remarks are made, opinions are exchange and knowledge is gained. One member is free to lock his thread after posting and the rest are free to start a thread to discuss about this sort of actions.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •