Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 36789 LastLast

Thread: Perth and Western Australia

Default Re: Perth and Western Australia

I am back guys! Thanks all for the pointers. I had a really great trip.

As expected, the flies came out. But not in full force yet. And yes, they love my lips, my face, my nose and my exposed skin... I also got bitten by a species of bees with green eyes during my trip down south. They just land on my feet and starting stinging my feet.

When i hit the roads, the weather was still pretty cool. When i hit back Perth, the temperatures soared to 38 degrees during the day. For those gg down soon, may wan to take note of this.

Quote Originally Posted by kuantoh View Post
    I am back guys! Thanks all for the pointers. I had a really great trip.

As expected, the flies came out. But not in full force yet. And yes, they love my lips, my face, my nose and my exposed skin... I also got bitten by a species of bees with green eyes during my trip down south. They just land on my feet and starting stinging my feet.

When i hit the roads, the weather was still pretty cool. When i hit back Perth, the temperatures soared to 38 degrees during the day. For those gg down soon, may wan to take note of this.
    It's going to be a warm weekend

Saturday Very hot. Sunny. Min 20 Max 37
    Sunday Very hot. Partly cloudy. Min 22 Max 39
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Quote Originally Posted by adamadam View Post
    It's going to be a warm weekend

Saturday Very hot. Sunny. Min 20 Max 37
    Sunday Very hot. Partly cloudy. Min 22 Max 39
    Was in Perth when it hit 39 on Sunday. The car's temperature gauge peaked at 41 across Melville.

I find it easier (albeit paying a lil more ) collecting the car at perth airport itself. You fly in, if by sq225 at 0630 in the morn, collect the car and hit the road. Chances are if you collect it in perth city itself, you gotta take a cab, blah blah blah, so i rather pick the car up and head straight for breakie! Plus you can drive back and return the car at the airport itself.

WA roads are easy to drive with lots of signs so the chances of getting lost is very little.

yup... it's the ol' cost vs convenience dilemma.
    I agree with you that the reduced cost of getting from town (Bayswater) can be negated by the costs of travelling to and from the airport.
    Exploring! :)

The way to save on this is if you have free airport transfer to your apartment or hotel. If not, yes... it makes more sense just to get the car from the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    The way to save on this is if you have free airport transfer to your apartment or hotel. If not, yes... it makes more sense just to get the car from the airport.
    I was cheated of my free airport transfer
    very unhappy about that. Booked with DiscoverWest with the indicated free airport transfer to hotel... But that service has been discontinued, apparently.

Update from the local Police - Fremantle area is being hit hard by our indigenous brothers (Aboriginals) who up are to their usual nefarious trade of breaking car windows and grabbing anything in sight, or covered up. Over the past few weeks there's been a spate of such vehicle break-ins reported.

Last weekend I had one of my vehicles broken in to in Freo as well. The 2 indigenous fellas snateched two backpacks (under covers) from the vehicle. Sadly for both women concerned they lost not only their backpacks but also passports, e-tickets and camera lenses, clothes etc.

Please take heed of this as it's common place all over Australia and has been on the increase for the past few years. The breakins for vehicles can and do often occur at deserted or semi deserted locations, in car parks and at any time of the day or night. NOTHING is safe in the vehicle, even in the boot as the thieves often carry a slide hammer (used in vehicle body repair trade) to punch out the locks of the car. They can break in to a vehicle and empty it in less than 30 seconds. So please always take your valuables with you where ever you go.
    Last edited by Ian; 12th March 2010 at 02:24 PM.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

oh my...
    that's so scary...

I'm so glad such things didn't happen to me whilst I was in Perth...
    shucks. I guess nowhere is safe nowadays.

thanks for the warning!

Appreciate everyone who contributed to this thread. Definitely made my trip a lot more fruitful with the places shared. Thanks guys!

Tot i contribute some info too.

was in perth-Margaret river last month (march). I booked via DiscoveryWest for my hotel, which was Goodearth. I actually got the free transfer. But how i got it was instead of calling in, i emailed them directly, was afraid they couldnt understand my snglish. You can reach them via their website http://www.perthairportconnect.com.au/pac/index.php

My car was from bayswater perth city, which also contributed to my decision to get goodearth, because it is along the same street. A 5-10 min walk to reach bayswater from hotel. Also the price at bayswater is way cheaper than hertz or avis. So the only time when i spent on cab was to get to the airport, $36.

If u want value for money authentic asian fare, do lookout for taka. A japanese eatery ard perth city area. $5 plus could get u a decent meal.

if u r taking jetstar, they actually require you to weigh in your hand carry luggage as well during the return flight. 10kg limit. So pls remove those gears before checking in at the counter. Once they weighed it, labelled it, then u can plonk in ur gears when away from the counter.
    it's not how fanciful are your gears, but how beautiful are your shots.

Great thread!
    I'll be there for 2 1/2 years. Definitely want to check out the scenic places there.
    Will be in the Crawley suburb.
    Last edited by E3lipse; 9th April 2010 at 06:42 PM.
    What do I write here?

Quote Originally Posted by E3lipse View Post
    Great thread!
    I'll be there for 2 1/2 years. Definitely want to check out the scenic places there.
    studying at UWA i suppose...

all the best!

I liked the jap eatery Taka...
    hahaha ate there twice during my 8 day holiday to Perth.

good value for money, though I was chiding myself for eating so much asian food on a holiday. Usually I make an effort to try the local stuff.

Hi guys, I'm planning down to Perth on end May (8 days) with 4 adults & 4 children. Do you think it will be very cold? Any recommendation for farm stay in Margaret river? Also in Albany.

Quote Originally Posted by E3lipse View Post
    Great thread!
    Enjoy your time at UWA. It's been a while since I was last on campus

Quote Originally Posted by Alfjas View Post
    Hi guys, I'm planning down to Perth on end May (8 days) with 4 adults & 4 children. Do you think it will be very cold? Any recommendation for farm stay in Margaret river? Also in Albany.
    End May (start of Sg School Hols?) .... it will start to get cold and wet. Sorry, can't advise you on farm stay. There are loads of information on that online. You can 'borrow' the information from farm stay tours (those advertised by travel agents).

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post

all the best!

good value for money, though I was chiding myself for eating so much asian food on a holiday. Usually I make an effort to try the local stuff.
    Next time you are there, just walk a little further and try the Italian cafe - Lambretta near Jester's Pie. There are also plenty of makan places in Subiaco along Rokerby Road which is like 5 mins drive from Crawley (Hampden Road).

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post

all the best!

Yup, I'll be at UWA
    Thanks

To cut down on stress and logistics, I'll be staying in a residential college in the campus itself so probably we'll get local food daily...

I hope it isn't like Germany, food there is extremely sweet or salty.
    What do I write here?

Ok la. Food is generally alright. Currie Hall & Trinity College have more Asian food IIRC

Watch out for the max power load in the rooms. It will trip the board if you use a heater in your room.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    Ok la. Food is generally alright. Currie Hall & Trinity College have more Asian food IIRC

Watch out for the max power load in the rooms. It will trip the board if you use a heater in your room.

Have fun!
    Thanks for the tip bro..
    Aw darn... I'm going Currie...

Are you from UWA too? Wouldn't hurt to feel more Singapore in a foreign land.

Heater? I love cold weather man . Doubt it can get as cold as Germany , minus 2 to plus 5 at around 6 - 7am in March
    Last edited by E3lipse; 25th April 2010 at 07:28 PM.
    What do I write here?

Quote Originally Posted by Alfjas View Post

weather will be cooling... autumn season~
    lowest would be ard 4-9deg cuz currently its ard 9deg plus minus.

a great place for farm stay at Margaret river would be Sunflowers Animal Farm & Farm Stay (http://www.sunflowersfarm.com/), i visited the place a couple of times. OR Red Gate Farm Stay (http://www.redgatefarmstay.com.au/).

as for Albany, have a search & read at http://www.albanytourist.com.au

hope it helps. =)
    United For Life!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 36789 LastLast