Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Perth and Western Australia

Default Re: Perth and Western Australia

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    you drove all the way to Albany then next morning head back to Margaret River?
    Was Albany interesting at all?
    Albany doesn't have a lot of things, but enough to keep you busy for a couple of hours walking around the shops and see the historical buildings amidst the modern structures.

The real charm is actually out of Albany. For natural wonders, you'll get blowhole, the gap (must go.. amazing place) and natural bridge.

There's also whaleworld, not very very fascinating, but you'll get to learn a lot about Albany's whaling history..

A short detour will bring you to windfarm. I went there just before sunset and I like it

I did the whale cruise in Albany, sadly just saw 1 whale only + some dolphins..

By the way, for lodging, I stayed in Vancouver Guest House in Albany. Location is fantastic, all the rooms deco are different, so you'll get to choose which room you like most. Trish (the owner) is a really nice warm lady, and her home-cooked breakfast made it the best lodging we've stayed in WA.

I'm impressed at the distance you covered in 2 days. Basically Perth to Albany and then Margaret River, AND stopping to see blowhole, valley of giants, etc...
    And I thought of removing Albany from my itinerary (as posted a week ago) because I didn't think I had enough days to see so many towns

Quote Originally Posted by SnapSnap
    Ya... that was the route for the self drive package... not really interested in Albany but it if you want to see the Valley fo the Giant and things along the coast, this is the way...
    Quote Originally Posted by SnapSnap
    I'm back... and here's what I did.

Day 1 - Arrive in Perth. Pickup rental car, check in hotel, go to Fremantle for shopping and dinner at Kaili
    Day 2 - 8.30am Drive to Albany, stopping at Bannister (short break), Kojonup (lunch) and Mt Barker Hill Scenic lookout (sight seeing). Reach Albany at 4.30pm.
    Day 3 - 8.30 am Drive to Margaret River. Stop by Frenchman Bay, Blowhole, Windfarm (sight seeing), Denmark, Bartholomews Meadery (for honey wine tasting and honey ice cream!), Walpole (Lunch, Valley of the Giant, Tree Top Walk) and Pemberton. Reach Margaret River at 5pm.
    Day 4 - 8.30 am Drive to Busselton (This is the shortest drive for the whole trip!) Just stop by anywhere, any time... Lighthouse, lots of winery along the way... but please appoint a driver... no wine tasting for the driver!! I was the driver!
    Day 5 - Based out of Busselton for the day. Busselton Jetty (2km long wooden jetty that is under renovation right now... will be ready early 2010... Whale watching... AUS$75 per adult
    Day 6 - Drive to Mandura. Somehow there are still more wineries... When to Hog's Breath for dinner. Just love their prime ribs.
    Day 7 - Drive to Perth. Visit Margaret River Chocolate Company, sample chocolate, lunch, some more wine tasting opposite the chocolate company... Dinner at Kaili again. (Try the grill section. I think it is better than the fish and chips.)
    Day 8 - Packup go for last min shopping at Fremantle (again...) Drive to airport, fly home.

Still working on processing the photos... ha ha...
    Exploring! :)

Thanks for your tips! I'm still working out my itinerary again, coz I'm not sure if the drive to Albany and back again will take too much time.

Quote Originally Posted by behyx View Post
    Albany doesn't have a lot of things, but enough to keep you busy for a couple of hours walking around the shops and see the historical buildings amidst the modern structures.

The real charm is actually out of Albany. For natural wonders, you'll get blowhole, the gap (must go.. amazing place) and natural bridge.

There's also whaleworld, not very very fascinating, but you'll get to learn a lot about Albany's whaling history..

A short detour will bring you to windfarm. I went there just before sunset and I like it

I did the whale cruise in Albany, sadly just saw 1 whale only + some dolphins..

By the way, for lodging, I stayed in Vancouver Guest House in Albany. Location is fantastic, all the rooms deco are different, so you'll get to choose which room you like most. Trish (the owner) is a really nice warm lady, and her home-cooked breakfast made it the best lodging we've stayed in WA.

If you have time here's a few places not so often visited by Singaporeans.

Serpentine Dam
    Wellington Dam (not far from Collie)
    Kwinana Speedway (Sat nights Oct through March)
    Hillaries Harbour complex
    Toodyay (80km North East of Perth, nice historic town)
    New Norcia (125km North of Perth on Gt Northern Highway) - Benedictine Monastary and so on.
    Telegraph Park (Applecross, classic views across water to Perth)
    South Perth Foreshore (Be there at dusk to get great wide angle shots of CBD Skyline)
    Arrulen Botanical Gardens (Arboretum etc).

The ang moh from Hell

Am back from Perth!
    It was a thoroughly enjoyable trip.
    Very relaxing.
    Total of 8 days, spent as such:
    1) Arrive in Perth. Walk around town to familiarize. Photographed Bell Tower, St Mary's church (@ Victoria Square), Perth City
    2) Fremantle, Mandurah, Bunbury via the coast.
    3) Busselton, Dunsborough, Cape Naturaliste, Yallingup, Margaret River. Saw limestone caves, whales off the Cape Naturaliste lighthouse, Busselton Jetty (under construction till Apr 2010)
    4) Augusta, Pemberton, Walpole
    5) Denmark, Albany. Walked through Valley of the Giants. Saw a meadery (making wine and products from honey). Went through Greens Pool, Elephant Cove. Albany Wind Farm, The Gap, Natural Bridge.
    6) Morning in Albany, then long drive (415km) to Perth via Albany Highway. Photographed Perth at sunet from Kings Park.
    7) Shopping around Perth
    8) Back to Singapore

I took things much slower than a normal 3 or 4 day tour, but I think it was an event-filled holiday anyway!

Total journey was about 1350kms.
    Rented from Bayswater for about A$260 (7 days, incl normal insurance coverage + extra charge A$30 for overseas license).
    Average price/night for accomodation (standard motel room, etc) was about A$120-130 /night.
    Best value for money was Dolphin Lodge in Albany. A$80/night for a standard room. I was lucky to get upgraded to spa room, with in-built jacuzzi in bathroom. Very spacious! There was a kitchenette, lounge room with 2 recliners, King bed, etc.

Cool thread. I will be heading back to Perth and WA for my 2nd time next Fri. Wondering if my itinerary can be improved or some additional stopovers can be included.

Below is my itinerary:

Day 1:

Arrive in Perth in morning. Proceed to accomodation. Walkabout Perth City for the day. Overnight Perth.

Day 2:

Collect car in morning. Drive down via Albany Highway, passing by Castle Rock, Mt Barker, Stirling Ranges then to Albany. Check in Hotel at 1530hrs. Walkabout Albany town. Overnight Albany.

Day 3:

Morning head down to Frenchman Bay, Torndirrup National Park, Goode Beach and Vancouver Peninsula. Coming back in late afternoon to Port Albany. Overnight Albany.

Day 4:

Drive down South Coast Highway turning in William Bay National Park for Greens Pool and Elephant Rocks. Then head down to Peaceful bay for a nice swim before heading down to Walpole Nornalup National Park for Valley of Giants and some other attractions. Overnight Pemberton.

Day 5:

To Gloucester National Park for a morning walk - THE CASCADES -- Easy 1.2 km, 30 minute loop crossing the Lefroy Brook and The Cascades.

Head on to Augusta, thereafter to Cape Leeuwin lighthouse. Next Jewel Cave. Then to Hamelin Bay for some suntanning and cool swim! Drive to Margaret River and break for the day. Overnight Margaret River.

Day 6:

Tour around Margaret River region. After lunch, set off for Dunsborough, Cape Naturaliste, Eagle Bay then to Sugarloaf Rock. Head down to check in hotel in Busselton. Sunset at Busselton Jetty. Overnight Busselton.

Day 7:

Busselton to Bunbury see dolphins. Hit South Western Highway all the way to Armadale. Tour around Armadale before heading to Coogee near Freo for the night. Overnight Coogee.

Day 8:

Off to Freo markets, Freo Prison, Kaili's / Cicerellos (Wonder if Cicerellos still taste as good), Maritime Museum. Back in Perth for the afternoon. Rest. Return car. Chill out time. Overnight Perth.

Day 9:

King's Park, Swan Bells, shopping, sightseeing etc in Perth. Overnight Perth.

Day 10:

Back to SG.

This itinerary differs from the last time that I did 4 years ago by a little. Some differences include, the Margaret River region, Busselton, Bunbury and Armadale.

Any nice stopovers or inclusions are welcomed before i hit the roads next week ya!
    Last edited by kuantoh; 16th November 2009 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kuantoh View Post
    Day 2:

Collect car in morning. Drive down via Albany Highway, passing by Castle Rock, Mt Barker, Stirling Ranges then to Albany. Check in Hotel at 1530hrs. Walkabout Albany town. Overnight Albany.

Day 3:

Morning head down to Frenchman Bay, Torndirrup National Park, Goode Beach and Vancouver Peninsula. Coming back in late afternoon to Port Albany. Overnight Albany.
    Day 7:

Busselton to Bunbury see dolphins. Hit South Western Highway all the way to Armadale. Tour around Armadale before heading to Coogee near Freo for the night. Overnight Coogee.

Day 8:

Off to Freo markets, Freo Prison, Kaili's / Cicerellos (Wonder if Cicerellos still taste as good), Maritime Museum. Back in Perth for the afternoon. Rest. Return car. Chill out time. Overnight Perth.

Day 9:

Any nice stopovers or inclusions are welcomed before i hit the roads next week ya!
    If you have time on the way to Albany drive through both the Stirling Ranges (go in at Cranebrook) and then back on to the highway a bit further south via the Pogonorups.

While in Albany do go up to the Fort at Mt Clarence (down near Middleton Beach). Also the wharf area down by the grain handling unit is being upgraded at present. Middleton beach at dawn for a potential killer sunrise.

On the way back from Bunbury take a detour up to Serpentine Dam and come back in to Armidale via the back roads that runs through Arulen.

While doing Freo check out the north and south mole. Also a drive up to Hilllaries if you have time or out to Caversham wildlife park.

It's going to be raining most of this week, and there's no forecast for next week released as yet. It might be worth bringing at least one Sloppy Joe and a rain jacket. Today it was only 23-5C here in Perth.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDW12300.shtml
    Perth Forecast
    Issued at 4:35 pm WST on Monday 16 November 2009

Warning summary
    Nil.

Forecast for Monday evening
    Partly cloudy. Moderate SW winds.

Precis: Partly cloudy.

Forecast for Tuesday
    Shower or two developing. Light to moderate W/SW winds.

Precis: Shower or two developing.
    City: Min 14 Max 23
    Mandurah: Min 16 Max 22

UV Alert: 8:10 am to 3:50 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 10 [Very High]
    Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: LOW-MODERATE
    Hills: HIGH

Wednesday Few showers. Min 15 Max 21
    Thursday Few showers, easing in the evening. Min 12 Max 20
    Friday Partly cloudy. Min 9 Max 22
    Saturday Chance of a shower. Min 11 Max 23
    Sunday Cloudy. Min 13 Max 25
    Monday Partly cloudy. Min 12 Max 29
    Forecasttttttttt
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Quote Originally Posted by kuantoh
    Cool thread. I will be heading back to Perth and WA for my 2nd time next Fri. Wondering if my itinerary can be improved or some additional stopovers can be included.

This itinerary differs from the last time that I did 4 years ago by a little. Some differences include, the Margaret River region, Busselton, Bunbury and Armadale.

Your itinerary is very thorough!
    I wish I had more time to spend in WA as well. I was very lucky to have the favourable weather (clear and blue skies, cool temperatures).
    Cicerellos is better than Kailis, in my opinion. And slightly better value too. The prices that Kailis charges for additional stuff like coleslaw, tartare sauce, etc is significantly more.

I hope you get some nice photos of the Albany wind farm!
    Busselton jetty is under construction till Apr 2010 though, so you can't go that far out. The cranes look a bit ugly too.

Quote Originally Posted by adamadam View Post
    Forecasttttttttt
    Yeah and next weeks forecast will be changed on Saturday The Met Bureau is next to useless with long range forecasts as they don't have the stations or computers to do accurate modelling. (thanks to John "shrub" Howard and the Ruddite)
    The Ang Moh from Hell

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    If you have time on the way to Albany drive through both the Stirling Ranges (go in at Cranebrook) and then back on to the highway a bit further south via the Pogonorups.

While in Albany do go up to the Fort at Mt Clarence (down near Middleton Beach). Also the wharf area down by the grain handling unit is being upgraded at present. Middleton beach at dawn for a potential killer sunrise.

On the way back from Bunbury take a detour up to Serpentine Dam and come back in to Armidale via the back roads that runs through Arulen.

While doing Freo check out the north and south mole. Also a drive up to Hilllaries if you have time or out to Caversham wildlife park.

It's going to be raining most of this week, and there's no forecast for next week released as yet. It might be worth bringing at least one Sloppy Joe and a rain jacket. Today it was only 23-5C here in Perth.
    Cool! Thanks for the info! Weather not as expected at this time of the year i supposed? Can i say that the wildflowers are blooming later than usual this year? May be able to catch some of them in full bloom if i am lucky...

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Your itinerary is very thorough!
    I wish I had more time to spend in WA as well. I was very lucky to have the favourable weather (clear and blue skies, cool temperatures).
    Cicerellos is better than Kailis, in my opinion. And slightly better value too. The prices that Kailis charges for additional stuff like coleslaw, tartare sauce, etc is significantly more.

I hope you get some nice photos of the Albany wind farm!
    Busselton jetty is under construction till Apr 2010 though, so you can't go that far out. The cranes look a bit ugly too.
    Cicerellos still nicer IMO too... haha...

Hmm... cranes at busselton jetty... Will see how along the trip. May go for sunset at sugarloaf rock instead at dunsborough... hmm...

Great source of info here guys. Kudos!

Will be doing a trip down to Albany via the Albany Highway (Australia State Route 30) from Fremantle. I should reach Albany thereabouts 4-5pm.

1) Besides the wind farm, middleton beach, what else is there to see & do in albany? Is it worth 2 nights?

2) After Albany, I will be driving back up via Denmark, Margaret River etc. Should I spend the night in margaret river or in bunbury before heading back to Perth? I've got 2 nites here again.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by enkindel View Post
    Great source of info here guys. Kudos!

Will be doing a trip down to Albany via the Albany Highway (Australia State Route 30) from Fremantle. I should reach Albany thereabouts 4-5pm.

1) Besides the wind farm, middleton beach, what else is there to see & do in albany? Is it worth 2 nights?

2) After Albany, I will be driving back up via Denmark, Margaret River etc. Should I spend the night in margaret river or in bunbury before heading back to Perth? I've got 2 nites here again.

Thanks guys.
    Albany has more options for accomodation, but staying there 2 nights might be too much. If you arrive there late evening, it might still be ok, coz you basically spend the entire 2nd day in Albany, stay another night, then head off in the morning.
    You could try spending 1 night in Augusta and another in either Busselton or Bunbury, so you have sufficient time to see the lighthouses, limestone caves, vineyards, coastline around Margaret River area as you slowly make your way up north back towards Perth.

[QUOTE=kuantoh;5610814]
    Day 2:

QUOTE]

how about going to the wave rock?

[QUOTE=Guni_hoon;5622597]
    Quote Originally Posted by kuantoh View Post
    Day 2:

QUOTE]

how about going to the wave rock?

Wave Rock is a blood big detour from your proposed route (at least a 3-4 hour detour). It's stuck out in the middle of nowhere and it's about a 120 minute drive each way from Pingelley which is on the North Eastern Side of the Stirling Ranges.
    The Ang Moh from Hell

Hi all,
    Thanks for all the input. Ill be going to Perth at the end of Nov for a vacation. Will be doing a self drive.
    Seems like Bayswater car rental is highly recommended but the nearest branch is about 3km from the Perth International Airport.
    What about any recommended ones available right at the airport?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by e69087 View Post
    Hi all,
    Thanks for all the input. Ill be going to Perth at the end of Nov for a vacation. Will be doing a self drive.
    Seems like Bayswater car rental is highly recommended but the nearest branch is about 3km from the Perth International Airport.
    What about any recommended ones available right at the airport?
    Thanks!
    The on airport car hires are @#$ Expensive compared to Bayswater Rentals.
    The Ang Moh from Hell

you have to factor in the cost of travelling to and from the airport by taxi/bus if you rent from Bayswater.

Thanks for the replies.
    Any idea how much is the cab fare (to their office in Bayswater)?
    BTW, is their office open 24 hrs a day?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast