Page 1 of 9 1236 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 164

Thread: Perth and Western Australia

  1. #1
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Perth and Western Australia

    Perth and Western Australia

    Places of Interest and photography opportunity

    Perth City – Hay Street, Murray Street and St George Terrace
    Fremantle – Fremantle Markets and Pier
    Rottnest Island
    Claisebrook Cove
    Cottesloe Beach
    Magaret River
    Busselton Jetty
    Augusta - Leeuwin Lighthouse

    Credit to Ernest_ted

    Kings Park
    South Perth
    and this http://www.valleyofthegiants.com.au/ (if u have more time)

    Pemberton http://www.about-australia.com/weste...ons/pemberton/

    Or go inland to York or Northam, take pics of old towns.

    York http://www.about-australia.com/weste...inations/york/
    Last edited by Francis247; 27th July 2009 at 09:45 PM.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    woodlands
    Posts
    1,229

    Default Re: Perth and Western Australia

    do i get to see any pics from u? :P i maybe going there soon..

    thanks

  3. #3

    Default Re: Perth and Western Australia

    besides those listed u can extend yr trip to Torndirrup National Park @ Albany, whale watching @ Bunbury, Scarborugh Beach in Perth

  4. #4
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Perth and Western Australia

    Getting around Perth City is quite easy as you can hope on to any one of the CAT (Central Area Transit) service for free. See the diferent routes taken by the different CAT bus.

    Besides the CAT service, taking any bus service is free as long as you board and alight within the Free Transit Zone (FTZ).





    Credit to Transperth Homepage. http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/
    Last edited by Francis247; 27th July 2009 at 10:02 PM.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  5. #5
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Perth and Western Australia

    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  6. #6
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Perth and Western Australia

    As photographers, weather is very important to us. Do check the weather as you are planning for your trip.

    Perth - http://www.weatherzone.com.au/wa/perth/perth
    Cottesloe/Swanbourne - http://www.weatherzone.com.au/wa/perth/cottesloe
    Busselton - http://www.weatherzone.com.au/wa/southwest/busselton
    Albany - http://www.weatherzone.com.au/wa/sou...coastal/albany
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  7. #7
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Perth and Western Australia

    Quote Originally Posted by evonfrances View Post
    besides those listed u can extend yr trip to Torndirrup National Park @ Albany, whale watching @ Bunbury, Scarborugh Beach in Perth
    Thanks. Hope to see more contribution of ideas.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  8. #8

    Default Re: Perth and Western Australia

    have you been to Pinnacle? thought of driving there, the distance is not as far as Margaret River....
    I also read that now is the time for whale watching at Augusta.. thought of taking the 2-3 hours boat tour for whale watching

  9. #9
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Perth and Western Australia

    Quote Originally Posted by mystudio View Post
    have you been to Pinnacle? thought of driving there, the distance is not as far as Margaret River....
    I also read that now is the time for whale watching at Augusta.. thought of taking the 2-3 hours boat tour for whale watching
    Haven't been to the Pinnacle, planning for it also. Was at Augusta, the tour guide mentioned about whales migrating but no sight of whales. Visited Rottnest during my last trip in June, heard got whales also but never see any. I think the best timing is September if the info given by the tour guide is correct.
    Last edited by Francis247; 27th July 2009 at 10:31 PM.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  10. #10

    Default Re: Perth and Western Australia

    Another interesting place is Monkey Mia, north of Perth.. where you can see and even feed the dolphins. Its about 10hours drive from Perth or take a domestic flight but it cost a "bomb"

    There is also a beach that is formed from billions of tiny shells and is one of only two in the world. It stretches for approximately one-hundred and ten kilometres and is between seven and ten metres deep. This shell beach is located about 45km from Denham, just before Monkey MIA.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Perth and Western Australia

    Francis:

    I will be staying over weekend, do you think its better to stay in Perth City or Fremantle? I read that Perth city itself is a dead town after 5:30pm on weekdays and practically very quiet on weekend.... is that true?

    I think Fremantle has more activities and more place of interest, Fremantle market, prison.. etc

    And I am looking forward to the fish and chips at Kailis :P

  12. #12
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Perth and Western Australia

    Quote Originally Posted by mystudio View Post
    Another interesting place is Monkey Mia, north of Perth.. where you can see and even feed the dolphins. Its about 10hours drive from Perth or take a domestic flight but it cost a "bomb"

    There is also a beach that is formed from billions of tiny shells and is one of only two in the world. It stretches for approximately one-hundred and ten kilometres and is between seven and ten metres deep. This shell beach is located about 45km from Denham, just before Monkey MIA.
    Driving is quite dangerous in a sense because the road condition is really dark.
    My trip from Busselton back to Perth is a good example. The bus departed at around 6:30pm, the sky is dark and there is really no street lights except at some roundabout.

    Was thinking of renting a car and drive to Busselton by myself this weekend, but not confident enough. Still thinking...
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  13. #13
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Perth and Western Australia

    Quote Originally Posted by mystudio View Post
    Francis:

    I will be staying over weekend, do you think its better to stay in Perth City or Fremantle? I read that Perth city itself is a dead town after 5:30pm on weekdays and practically very quiet on weekend.... is that true?

    I think Fremantle has more activities and more place of interest, Fremantle market, prison.. etc

    And I am looking forward to the fish and chips at Kailis :P
    You really did your homework.

    The best time to fly over to Perth is Wednesday or Thursday so that you can enjoy the late night shopping on Friday night where shops will extend their business hours till 7pm or later. Most shops will open on Saturday but end at around 5pm. Some shops will open on Sunday but it closes early like 3pm.

    Must try Kailis' Fish and Chip (Traditional) and remember to add the tartare sauce and chicken salt. The chicken salt does magic.

    If you like spicy food, can try Nando's at Northbridge also. Northbridge is where most night activities are like clubbing and pubbing. Really crowded on Friday night.

    I never tried staying overnight at Fremantle also, but it also got nothing much except the Harbour side where most eateries are.
    Last edited by Francis247; 27th July 2009 at 10:33 PM.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  14. #14
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Perth and Western Australia

    Why not you try this?

    Thursday - Fly to Perth
    Friday - Stay in Perth, stay for Friday night shopping
    Saturday - Move to Fremantle. Stay at the Esplanade Hotel
    Sunday - Take ferry to Rottnest. Day trip - Wear appropriately and travel light. Try to hire a bicycle to travel around Rottnest. Take 4pm Ferry back to Fremantle, stay for another night. Or travel back to Perth
    Monday - Back to Perth. Day shopping and walking around. (if you came back last night, more time for Day trip)
    Tuesday - Day trip to somewhere
    Wednesday - Day trip to somewhere
    Thrusday - Fly back.
    Last edited by Francis247; 27th July 2009 at 10:51 PM.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  15. #15

    Default Re: Perth and Western Australia

    Those going in spring, and like hiking or wildflowers, check out Stirling Range National Park :

    http://blog.roving-light.com/2008/10...onal-park.html

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Perth and Western Australia

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis247 View Post
    Driving is quite dangerous in a sense because the road condition is really dark.
    My trip from Busselton back to Perth is a good example. The bus departed at around 6:30pm, the sky is dark and there is really no street lights except at some roundabout.

    Was thinking of renting a car and drive to Busselton by myself this weekend, but not confident enough. Still thinking...
    Hi Francis,

    On reading your msg, I reckon you currently must be in Perth. If you do have sufficient time (like 3-4 days) to spare, I do strongly recommend that you drive down to Albany and spend some time there visiting many of those magnificient wonders - like the gap, blow-holes, wind farm, free whale and dolphin watching (from the blow-hole area), etc... I promise you'll never regret that.... Best time is now to around October (I was working in Perth for 15 months ard this time last year)

    Driving from Perth is only 5 hours - one straight road along Albany Highway. And the first thing to do is to hit for the tourist information center and ask for a free copy of Albany map.

    I have the coordinates to few of these places if you have interest of venturing there with a GPS.... let me know...

  17. #17

    Default Re: Perth and Western Australia

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis247 View Post
    Why not you try this?

    Thursday - Fly to Perth
    Friday - Stay in Perth, stay for Friday night shopping
    Saturday - Move to Fremantle. Stay at the Esplanade Hotel
    Sunday - Take ferry to Rottnest. Day trip - Wear appropriately and travel light. Try to hire a bicycle to travel around Rottnest. Take 4pm Ferry back to Fremantle, stay for another night. Or travel back to Perth
    Monday - Back to Perth. Day shopping and walking around. (if you came back last night, more time for Day trip)
    Tuesday - Day trip to somewhere
    Wednesday - Day trip to somewhere
    Thrusday - Fly back.
    Thanks for the suggestions, i will try to rework the itinerary based on your input

  18. #18
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Perth and Western Australia

    Quote Originally Posted by stevle View Post
    Hi Francis,

    On reading your msg, I reckon you currently must be in Perth. If you do have sufficient time (like 3-4 days) to spare, I do strongly recommend that you drive down to Albany and spend some time there visiting many of those magnificient wonders - like the gap, blow-holes, wind farm, free whale and dolphin watching (from the blow-hole area), etc... I promise you'll never regret that.... Best time is now to around October (I was working in Perth for 15 months ard this time last year)

    Driving from Perth is only 5 hours - one straight road along Albany Highway. And the first thing to do is to hit for the tourist information center and ask for a free copy of Albany map.

    I have the coordinates to few of these places if you have interest of venturing there with a GPS.... let me know...
    Thanks for the suggestion man.
    I am here for business so can only can spare my weekends. I really love to stay in those farmstay and explore more of the south of WA also, but the weather is quite cold, wet and cloudy these days.
    Last edited by Francis247; 27th July 2009 at 11:03 PM.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  19. #19
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Perth and Western Australia

    Quote Originally Posted by mystudio View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, i will try to rework the itinerary based on your input
    You are welcome. I think Stevele's suggestion is not bad. Can plan to spend some good time in the South of WA.

    Hope that you got a backup driver if you plan to drive because the road is straight and boring and dark...

    Depends on what you want to get out of the trip. To explore more places or just to take time to relax.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  20. #20

    Default Re: Perth and Western Australia

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis247 View Post
    You are welcome. I think Stevele's suggestion is not bad. Can plan to spend some good time in the South of WA.

    Hope that you got a backup driver if you plan to drive because the road is straight and boring and dark...

    Depends on what you want to get out of the trip. To explore more places or just to take time to relax.
    Stevele's suggestion is good also

    I thought of Albany initially but then i reckon I have to decide between Margaret River/Augusta and Albany. Ideally is to travel in a loop, Perth City-Fremantle-Busselton-Margaret River-Augusta-Albany then back.. but it will takes many days..

Page 1 of 9 1236 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •