Thread: Regarding slot in filter, Lee, Cokin, Singh-ray, Hi-Tech and Tian Ya....

Question Regarding slot in filter, Lee, Cokin, Singh-ray, Hi-Tech and Tian Ya....

Which one is better?
    Well, if cost is not an issue, the ranking should be Singh-ray, Lee, Hi-tech, cokin and tian ya. But has anyone has the estimated budget?

Beside ND and GND what are other filters that is necessary?
    ND has ND2, 4 , 8 .... etc
    GND hard and soft
    What about sunset etc?

Also, normally which type of material is better? Polyester, resin or glass?

Any user uses combination of e.g.: Cokin P holder with other brand's filter before?

Default Re: Regarding slot in filter, Lee, Cokin, Singh-ray, Hi-Tech and Tian Ya....

Did some searches before posting this thread and found this:

Thanks to emlee for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by emlee View Post
    I'm a bit slow here. I just checked out the price of Lee Filter System in Cathay (30 Jul 08, 1pm).
    The foundation system (basically the holder) cost S$130
    The adaptor ring cost S$100 (regardless of thread diameter)
    The 3 piece GND filters (soft) cost S$400

total price is more than some good lenses.

I am now forced to consider Tianya. Thanks for the tip that Cokin has yellow tint.
    What about a cokin P holder on a wide angle lens? (Max is 84mm) Will it cause vignetting?
    Is it filmsy? Good enough to mix with other brand's filter?

Default Re: Regarding slot in filter, Lee, Cokin, Singh-ray, Hi-Tech and Tian Ya....

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Did some searches before posting this thread and found this:

Thanks to emlee for the information.

What about a cokin P holder on a wide angle lens? (Max is 84mm) Will it cause vignetting?
    Is it filmsy? Good enough to mix with other brand's filter?
    I am using the P wide angle holder for UWA lens (16mm - 35mm eq.). This holder has only 1 slot. Using the normal holder will cause vignetting. If you are going to use many filters, I recommend using the larger size ones (Cokin Z or Lee) or just hold the filter with your hand.

Btw, the tint on the cokin can be easily removed using WB.
    Last edited by KY1977; 27th July 2009 at 04:30 PM.

GND 146 per piece at cathay... holder should be 120 if not remember wrongly... adaptor ring less than 100... you should go down to cathay and have a look... they put all lee filters prices as exact price... no nego...

but mind you... lot of things don't have stock one... so in the end i got some here and the rest in HK...

I found that the P Cokin (slim version for wide angle) isn't wide enough for my 16-35 at 16mm. Vignetting went away only at 20mm. So I got the Z-Pro series. Am happy now

Oh, I also read that the Tiffen NDs are great but very ex. 200+ per piece.

oh ya... by the way... if you got Lee filters size (4"x6") GND hard transition you could use it as ND filter because it's large enough to cover the whole...

Great info.

As for ND, I have few info:

1) My best solution now of ND is to get a fader variable ND filter , meaning can from 2.... to 800. But it is screw in type.

2) CPL is actually ND2 (can be wrong, roughly I remember that)

3) CPL + PL can be no. 1) also.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Great info.

As for ND, I have few info:

1) My best solution now of ND is to get a fader variable ND filter , meaning can from 2.... to 800. But it is screw in type.

2) CPL is actually ND2 (can be wrong, roughly I remember that)

3) CPL + PL can be no. 1) also.
    Hi James, do you know where can I get the fader ND screw-in type in SIN? Thks
    Wedding Cinematographer+Editor H/p:98368086 http://idoproduction.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jaRv1s View Post
    GND 146 per piece at cathay... holder should be 120 if not remember wrongly... adaptor ring less than 100... you should go down to cathay and have a look... they put all lee filters prices as exact price... no nego...

but mind you... lot of things don't have stock one... so in the end i got some here and the rest in HK...
    do u know of any cheap filter alternatives to use on lee filter holder?