Thread: Macro - filter or extension tubes?

Default Macro - filter or extension tubes?

i don't want to have the trouble of bringing out another lens for quickie macro, so i am thinking of either filter or extension tubes to achieve better close-up.

i know the raynox 250 is one of the best choices, and i would jump at it... except that the filter size is smaller than what i usually bring out.

i was thinking of close-up filters - is the canon 500D close-up filter really good compared to Hoya kind which you can combine?

or are extension tubes better?

i intend to use it either with 24-105 or 135 or even with 50 which gives filter size of 72-77mm. i guess if i get the canon 500D then i'll get a stop-down ring to fit the 72mm filter size.

Default Re: Macro - filter or extension tubes?

Extension tubes won't degrade IQ like close up filters, but at the cost of light. I'm using kenko extension tubes, with decent results.

extension tubes are supposed to because they dont contain optics , thus the image quality wont be affected. but there's light falloff so you'll need a longer shutter speed or way more light. they're also incredibly troublesome to use. i used to have them but changed them for a raynox 250. too bad it can't be used on your lens.

hmm i just read that close-up lens is more recommended for longer telephoto lens while extension tubes work better with shorter focal lengths.

well i can use the raynox with my 85mm, but i usually don't take it out so kinda defeats the purpose.

i guess i might give close-up filters a shot. any idea on quality of the hoya kind which you can combine filters versus just the canon 500D?

Quote Originally Posted by gazkw View Post
    hmm i just read that close-up lens is more recommended for longer telephoto lens while extension tubes work better with shorter focal lengths.

well i can use the raynox with my 85mm, but i usually don't take it out so kinda defeats the purpose.

i guess i might give close-up filters a shot. any idea on quality of the hoya kind which you can combine filters versus just the canon 500D?
    Hi dere,

Sharing my experience with all of the above 3 mentioned.

1. Kenko Extension Tubes (used for 1st 3 weeks)
    Pros: No degration of IQ, more flexibility in terms of magnification as it comes in 12,24,36cm
    Cons : Cumberson to use, as u need to detach between shooting say a butterfly and a Jumper spider becasue with it on, u can only focus few cm near.

2. Raynox DCR 250 (Used for next 8 weeks)
    Pros : Affordable, lightweight, gd optical quality, flexible to use, can just detach if u do not need that extra manigfication.
    Cons : Unable to use on filter size 67 mm and above and unable to use with Ring flash(dual flash system like R1, MTE24), shorter focusing distance

3. Canon 500D (Using now 3 days so far, did some indoor testing)
    Pros : Optical quality is the best out of the above mentioned so far. Longer focusing distance
    Cons : Heavy, most expensive of the 3 options,need step up ring if use on norm macro lens.
    Best results is used with longer zoon lens like 24-70mm or 70-200mm.

Hope the above helps, cheers
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

great! thx for the advice... i guess i will check out the 500D

You said that your filter thread size is 72-77mm right?
    For a try out, you can try looking for the +10 close-up filter.

Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    You said that your filter thread size is 72-77mm right?
    For a try out, you can try looking for the +10 close-up filter.
    which brand?

from what i read so far, canon's 500D is really among the best quality for close-up.

if not, i know hoya has a whole series of close-up filters.

well, i'm still seeing if i can nail one down 2nd hand, if not then i'm going to the shops.