View Poll Results: Do you 'baby' your equipment?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes of course! I will start weeping and tearing my hair out if I ever see as much as a tiny scratch on my gear!!

41 21.69%
  • Yes, generally take good care of it, but one or two scratches or dings is nothing to lose sleep about

113 59.79%
  • No, as long as it works, who cares if its banged-up a little?

25 13.23%
  • My gear looks like its been through a few wars (and then some)

10 5.29%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do your 'baby' your equipment?

Deregistered

wah bro, kenna that stressed? now "repay" by shooting a lot ah!

i also shoot to get back my sanity. and get a load of stress - creative and good stress, at that

Do I baby my kit?

Hell NO. My kit winds up with no paint, extensive brassing and dings after 4-5 years of use and by the time it's 10 years old it's UGLY.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Deregistered

Ian, any ugly pictures of the hardware to share?

Wink

I baby my lens....
    Few weeks ago I go burma, then sit on horse cart damn dusty and rocky. My lens got a scratch till some silver lining come out. Then I lost one lens cap.
    I REALLY SUM TONG.....
    But then, after that I boh chap loh...what can I do rite?
    But come back to singapore baby it properly loh, blow blow and sayang sayang in dry box....Still very sim tia to see that 1.5cm scratch on the side of my lens...damn
    Dancing desert scorpion
    :devil:

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    Ian, any ugly pictures of the hardware to share?
    I might have a dig and see what I can find .. got a nice ugly great ding in the front of my 400/2.8 AFS after bouncing it off a concrete floor a few weeks ago (lens is fine however).
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

hmm.. HWZ always got theards showing photos of thier messy PCs interior. Maybe we can start a theard showing our oldest, dirtest, well-worn equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by Harlequin
    Being too careful takes the fun out of everything in life.

Taking good care is a definite must, especially sensitive equipment like cameras/lens. I'm not asking you to throw/trash the equipment around, but do be careful thats all.

If a person is so obessed by the fact that he has already spent loads of money on expensive equipment and end up being too obsessed with caring the equipment so that he can resell them later, then will he be able to go out and enjoy photography with peace of mind ? Go figure.

Being too careful at times can cause even more accidents....because your mind is concentrating on the thought that you've to protect the equipment....

Relax and the world will be with you.

Money is of course important, but you should know that getting into DSLR game is going into an bottomless pit.

Just make sure you're enjoying every moment of it and not worry about losing a screw, scratching your tripod or getting dust on UV filters.
    Hey...don't spoil the market le... a bunch of us is always looking for deals from these group of photogs.

Anyway, guys keeping buying and upgrading. make very sure you take very good care of your equipment.. we pay a few % higher than those banged up ones you know.

cheers.

Happy New Year.

buy top rated gear and thrash the living daylights out of it. after all, thats the way its supposed 2b

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    buy top rated gear and thrash the living daylights out of it. after all, thats the way its supposed 2b
    Hey, that's the right attitude man ! If not, you become a slave to your "baby" equipment.
    http://www.avianwatchasia.org for some real bird photos
    My website : http://www.gorgeousfeathers.com

Red face

I always keep my baby equipment in a showroom condition. Everytime there's a new model, I'll visit them at Sim Lim Square, Harvey Norman, Best Denki, etc. then wait until the price drop. When the price dropped, the new model is coming, I change my mind and the new model will become my new baby. Same sequence repeated...

Nothing is permanent. Things wear out, things break down, things die off. Face it people!!!!!Your equipment won't be in it's mint condition forever and ever and ever, so makeit's life worthwhile and give it a chance to make beautiful pictures before it breathes it's last.

I think the general attitude is the more pro you are, the less afraid you are of having bumps and scratches to the body. Afterall, the pictures pay for your your equipment and most consider them as tools only to be upgraded as and when required. But for the amateurs, this can be more difficult to accept, even though we've heard countless times and we understand "It's the final product/photographer that matters, not the camera, shoot more, ignore that 2 cm body scratch on your 1 week old D100" blah blah... Easy to say but not necessarily easy to accept!

But at the end of the day, it can get a little philosophical.. cos passionate photography generally is not a cheap hobby and it can be a materialistic affair. Viewed from a philosophical or even religious perspective, yeah, nothing in this world is permanent. I mean, if tomorrow you know something bad is happening that no riches you have can replace it... Or think about the man who owns $20,000 worth of camera stuffs and he discovers one day he has cancer... the scratches on the equipment ain't a big deal anymore!

Cameras and other stuff are there to serve us and we are their masters. So do not be slaves to your equipment. I do not care if there are some scratches or a little bum on my stuff. These days, most cameras and lenses have got polycarbonate bodies - very tough and hardy. In the old days, we used to have aluminum and steel stuff. A steel camera back and the hinge could rust if you do not clean up after a day's trip to the beach.

These days, metal parts are either aluminium or stainless steel - so, not so much worries about rust.

I think we tend to be of either extreme - those fuss over their babe and those who throw around their stuff and few are in-between.

Default How about a crack on your F5?

That one sian ji bua... I work in a cleanroom, so I like to bring my equipment in to blast with nitrogen gas to remove the dust. So my equipment is always in perfect condition.
    "A closet Nykon lover"

Quote Originally Posted by Harlequin
    When you fuss too much, you'll end up losing concentration on the actual thing you're suppose to do.

Taking good care of your equipment is a must, but not to an extent that you've become obsessed with the cleaniness,screws,or event a simple scratch that may leave you frustrated.

so what if the lens is scratched or the tripod is dirty ? Photography is about capturing that moment....not about how clean your equipment looks.

Life is short...couple of thousand bucks is not worth losing lots of brain cells for a moment lost....

Like Nike's advertising tag line, "JUST DO IT !" and Harlequin's tagline "JUST SHOOT IT !"

Cheers !

If some people have thousands of dollars to spend every month, it's easy to say that. Just think about your hard earned money/savings that used is a must worth it thing whenever you buy any item that cost a bomb or to a certain extend. As time goes by, and they realise that this item is not good enough for them. Than, they can probably sell it away at a better price. Don't you think so? And lastly, 'YES' not to the extend as you mentioned above quote. No offend, just speaking from my point of view.
    Last edited by Spectrum; 22nd February 2004 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum
    If some people have thousands of dollars to spend every month, it's easy to say that. Just think about your hard earned money/savings that used is a must worth it thing whenever you buy any item that cost a bomb or to a certain extend. As time goes by, and they realise that this item is not good enough for them. Than, they can probably sell it away at a better price. Don't you think so? And lastly, 'YES' not to the extend as you mentioned above quote. No offend, just speaking from my point of view.
    Its not about the money....I'm not loaded with cash by any chance.
    You buy equipment to use it as what it was designed for in the first place...and not to resell it later after using it for a while.

If you baby it too much, , then you've become a slave to the equipment and you won't be able to use the equipment to help you deliver what you started out in the first place. Which is PHOTOGRAPHY !! Not Buy & Sell.

I've seen fellow photographers out there in the field , who really baby their equipment so much that the "babying " actions irritates the hell out of us. Of course, with that much "babying", lots of photo opportunity was lost for this photographer.

Concentrate on the photography part and not "babying"....else what ever passion or drive you have will go to waste.

For example, last week 3 CSBFers were out there in the field shooting some rare birds in the late afternoon. It started to rain and we still continue to shoot , occasionally covering the equipment with covers.

Now if another fellow photographer who really babies his equipment, in such situation, he will definately scramble and packed up.

His loss is the opportunity to take rare shots....is it worth it ?
    http://www.avianwatchasia.org for some real bird photos
    My website : http://www.gorgeousfeathers.com

Deregistered

scratch on lens? simi scratch?

this is my own lens that i got 2nd hand, in pretty well maintained condition. all the resulting scratches were result of me using it without babying it. personally, those people especially shooting sports and cannot stand the sight of the scratches should probably give up anyway, since sports shooting will tekan the lens much more than say, a more indoor environment like studio - but even studio eqpt will still have the worn-out look from abrasion, especially in ballheads etc. wear and scratching is inevitable. you only have one life anyway.

not that i advocate not taking care of your equipment, but don't forget, a lens is made purely for its optical quality, not its cosmetic quality. unless you're an eqpt collector, then just accept that scratches are part and parcel of photography.

this is the 70-200/2.8 lens that a zaobao photographer has. from what i was told, the lenses are practically just chucked into a drawer, since they're in use practically daily. definitely, it has gone through "war"... his 17-35 was just as "bad" too heehee

a lens that hasn't been nicked or scratched, and 101% pristine is probably a showroom lens. you know, like the mammoth 400mm sitting in the canon showroom? a well used lens will be carrying some signs of use.

another thing i like about the canon L lens is the fact that i can wipe down the lens body with a damp cloth and not worry about water seeping in. what more can i ask for when shooting sports?

Ian, where's the lens you mentioned the last time that got quite a workout?
    Last edited by sehsuan; 23rd March 2004 at 05:27 PM.

wow... wtf..

L lens like that.. wonder how much will it fetch in the buy sell fourm? $10? lol..

Quote Originally Posted by yamcake
    wow... wtf..

L lens like that.. wonder how much will it fetch in the buy sell fourm? $10? lol..
    Definitely worth much more than that lar. Provided the optics are still in very good condition and the lens still works perfectly. Its 'L' u know... And L lenses are built to withstand punishing use from PJs and sports photographers. As sehsuan had illustrated the point in his pics...

Well don't overdo it ... it's meant to serve us, not the other way around!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast