Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slide -> Print

Originally posted by nuts
    at 16Base and can see pixels at 4R print? I think its either the operator doing the scanning screwed up, or the operator doing the printing in the lab screwed up.... .. thats more than 300dpi!
    well, to share an experience, I've submitted a roll of unmounted slides to Nets Imaging (at Ikea building) for scanning. They too charge $18 for base16 and they use the Noritsu minilab machine which I believe PhotoFriend uses too (the resulting CD includes a Noritsu viewer...). The results were great! So I went again to scan another roll. The lady at the counter appears unsure and after consulting with the boss accepted the order. When I got my scans, they were pretty "grainy"! I complained to the boss who agreed to redo the scans. Later I saw the boss teaching/explaining something to the lady on the Noritsu machine ... gee, lucky me, got a newbie...

..NuTs..

I believe those are the new Noritsu digital mini labs, the equivalent of the Fuji Frontier machines. As with any other mini labs, the operator's skill is very important. You're lucky to have it rescanned at no charge.

Regards
    CK

yeah, those noritsu machines are relatively new.. a friend who is working in noritsu lamented that they are quite slow in releasing their machine (which came out almost a full year after the fuji frontiers came out) ... he commented that photofriend is actually an impt client bcoz in the peninsula area, they are the ones that showcase the capabilities of the noritsu machine since konata, colourlab etc uses the fuji frontiers....

..NuTs..

Originally posted by ckiang

I believe those are the new Noritsu digital mini labs, the equivalent of the Fuji Frontier machines. As with any other mini labs, the operator's skill is very important. You're lucky to have it rescanned at no charge.

Regards
    CK

I scanned my negatives at Photo Friend yesterday. While the results were far better than those which I got from Colour Lab (which had messed up the colours), they were still a little grainy for my liking.

i don't see why all the complains about slides
    i've personally been shooting them from day one and almost never shoot negs unless i need iso800 and above. I've printed slide to print at RGB, ColorLab and photofriend
    RGB: Has different qualities. If uve got this really good slide u wanna print, go to them, pay more but the outcome is better than photobooks.....very professional ppl here....

Originally posted by szekiat
    i don't see why all the complains about slides
    i've personally been shooting them from day one and almost never shoot negs unless i need iso800 and above. I've printed slide to print at RGB, ColorLab and photofriend
    RGB: Has different qualities. If uve got this really good slide u wanna print, go to them, pay more but the outcome is better than photobooks.....very professional ppl here....
    I've printed a 8x12 from slide at RGB and the result was not that fantastic in regards to the price you pay, just acceptable.

Originally posted by munfai
    I scanned my negatives at Photo Friend yesterday. While the results were far better than those which I got from Colour Lab (which had messed up the colours), they were still a little grainy for my liking.
    The moment you print, the grain will no longer be that visible. Trust me.

Regards
    CK

Whats the biggest size good quality print that can be made from 16-base and 4-base scans ?

My slide to print turn out okie leh.... Only thing I lost was the fact that the prints looks a bit underexpose by 1/2 stop... Lost of color not really that much leh.... But I feel it's still better then negative....

Quote Originally Posted by ckiang
    It's 16-Base. It is Kodak's way of expressing image resolution way back in the PhotoCD (not to be confused with PictureCD, which is nothing more than a CD of low res JPGs) days.

16-Base describes a resolution of 3072 x 2048.
    4-Base is 1536 x 1024.

There's also 64-Base, at a much higher resolution, the exact number which I forgot.

Regards
    CK
    hmm...do the measurements differ from machine to machine?

cos i did 4-base scans and it came up to abt 1812*12xx ...cant remember the exact resolution offhand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12