Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello... an absolute noob here.. pls be gentle.

Default Re: Hello... an absolute noob here.. pls be gentle.

Yo! FYI, i just got my 1000d from John 3:16. I have to say they do give very good service... learn a few tricks from them as well. After i agreed to buy the camera, the sale peson (Reginald) let me try the 50mm f.18 lens on my new camera... nearly spent almost 1 hour asking him to teach me and he gladfully teach me all the nice tricks. Hence, i would also recommand for ya to buy from john 3:16.

IMO, the most important thingy b4 u buy a camera is the feel of the camera. Since u mention u have a feeling for D90, why not go for that model?

Whoa.. many aspects on lenses... I know there many types of them in the market, but being new and all, I was really just thinking on the 18-105 lens kit and going for the others once I get a hang of using a DSLR.

Quote Originally Posted by postal View Post
    Yo! FYI, i just got my 1000d from John 3:16. I have to say they do give very good service... learn a few tricks from them as well. After i agreed to buy the camera, the sale peson (Reginald) let me try the 50mm f.18 lens on my new camera... nearly spent almost 1 hour asking him to teach me and he gladfully teach me all the nice tricks. Hence, i would also recommand for ya to buy from john 3:16.

IMO, the most important thingy b4 u buy a camera is the feel of the camera. Since u mention u have a feeling for D90, why not go for that model?
    Did you get it today? There was a dude who bought a 1000D just now...

Yea.. I was actually very impress with their service. I was there with my wife and son earlier today and although there was lots of people there and I didn't buy anything, Samuel and co. were so patient with my questions and queries.. I get to play with the 50D, 500D and D90!

I am going for the D90. Im still doing some research... and the more I read, the more I like it!

If it feels nice in your hands, and the price is within your budget (don't forget other extras like dry cabinet, flash, tripod, etc), by all means, the D90 is a great camera.
    Happy Shooting once you get it!
    Exploring! :)

Welcom to CS zsubari..!!

All those Camera you mentioned is too bad...
    just go and do search in CS.
    there are many threads been discussed.

but just go out and feel the camera...
    so you can decide for you.... no one can decide for u.....

have fun and enjoy ur camera....

Go for the D90.
    Buy from John 3:13.

I recommend John3:13 because of service and price.
    I live and work in Vietnam and rely on friends travelling back and forth from Singapore to collect my purchases from J 3.
    As I buy sight unseen I have to ask them all manner of questions by email. I always get swift sensible answers and no problem when my friend goes in to collect the item.

When around (again) sourcing for the D90 without luck, although Mustafa did have one, selling @ SGD1669. But the thing is, they won't even allow me to open the box to check the things inside. Ended up not buying... Surprising thing I found out today was different Harvey Norman branches(when to 3 of them, 1 yesterday, 2 today) quoted me different prices for the D90, they were competitive, but sadly, out of stock too.. Courts and Best Denki are the most expensive.

I've been thinking of getting a polarized and a UV filter too. I have been reading up some and some say B+W filters are good, abiet expensive.. Hoya are cheaper, but not lasting. I wouldn't mind paying a little more if B+W is good and lasting. But, how much are these types of filters and where can I get them? Read from the Nikon website that the filter attachment size is 67mm for the 18-105mm VR len... so is that the filter size that I should go for?
    Last edited by zsubari; 27th July 2009 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drechohead View Post
    Only after getting back from a long trip and lots of blurry concerts snaps before i decided to get one..
    Hi bro. Not trying to burst your bubble but you still can get blurry images from DSLRs too, if they are not handled properly. But of course with DSLRs, it will provide greater flexibility over P&S.

Quote Originally Posted by zsubari View Post
    I've been thinking of getting a polarized and a UV filter too. I have been reading up some and some say B+W filters are good, abiet expensive.. Hoya are cheaper, but not lasting. I wouldn't mind paying a little more if B+W is good and lasting. But, how much are these types of filters and where can I get them? Read from the Nikon website that the filter attachment size is 67mm for the 18-105mm VR len... so is that the filter size that I should go for?
    Yes, that's the filter diameter you will need.
    Get only UV if you think you need additional protection for your lens. Leave the rest aside for the time being. Maybe you have friends where you can borrow one from time to time.
    There is a Mass Sales thread by Henessy for B+W filters, don't be shocked by the prices Shops will sell for slightly higher prices. Prices are quite constant, not much up and down. For other brands you can check the Filter Price List
    For CPL you can also get the biggest diameter (77mm) and use step-up rings to fir to smaller lenses. So you can use your CPL with all future lenses, most of them will be smaller than 77mm.

get a D90!!

Being a Nikon user myself I'm more incline to say "go and grab the D90" it's a good starting point for u to handle a dslr. btw how much is john 3:16 quoting?

Quote Originally Posted by RezzShaz View Post
    Being a Nikon user myself I'm more incline to say "go and grab the D90" it's a good starting point for u to handle a dslr. btw how much is john 3:16 quoting?
    SGD1660 with a 4GB SDHC card. so far, if you discount the freebies(like 8GB card, bag) some may give and SLS shops, they are the cheapest I have found.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Yes, that's the filter diameter you will need.
    Get only UV if you think you need additional protection for your lens. Leave the rest aside for the time being. Maybe you have friends where you can borrow one from time to time.
    There is a Mass Sales thread by Henessy for B+W filters, don't be shocked by the prices Shops will sell for slightly higher prices. Prices are quite constant, not much up and down. For other brands you can check the Filter Price List
    For CPL you can also get the biggest diameter (77mm) and use step-up rings to fir to smaller lenses. So you can use your CPL with all future lenses, most of them will be smaller than 77mm.
    Thanks for the heads up! Now I know I that I would go for the 77mm.. save $$$.. rather than keeping on buying different sizes when I get different sized lens!

Where can I get the step-up rings, are they universal and how much are they?

Sorry guys for so many questions... but a BIG thank you to all for being so patient with me and answering my queries!

honestly, when i was shopping for my D90, i think it is all down to if you want the freebies, do you want the free bag, tripod and all that stuff, without freebies, it will definitely cost less. some freebies are worth paying for. esp memory card. but if you don't want those stuff then forget the freebies and go for the camera itself.

Quote Originally Posted by sidloojl View Post
    honestly, when i was shopping for my D90, i think it is all down to if you want the freebies, do you want the free bag, tripod and all that stuff, without freebies, it will definitely cost less. some freebies are worth paying for. esp memory card. but if you don't want those stuff then forget the freebies and go for the camera itself.
    Well, it's not that I don't want the freebies, having freebies is great, but some freebies are redundant to me.. like the bag, Im sure, I will change the bag to something else.. rather have a blower/lens cleaning kit. And the shop that I am buying from too are a main part of my consideration. Those big retail shops are good for their warranties, but pricing for most of them are... rather expensive(but HN prices are very competitive!).. J316 feels good to buy from them. It's like you 'know' that the after sales service would be there. Being new to photography, this is important to me.

SLS offer some very low prices! There was one shop in lvl 2 that offered me the D90 (18-105VR)kit with freebies of the nikon bag, cleaning kit, 4GB memory card for SGD1300 w/o GST! but i wasn't really keen on buying from them as it was the kind of shop that seems to be like.. "once sold, not my problem" kind of place.. if you know what I mean.

Well, it's not that I don't want the freebies, having freebies is great, but some freebies are redundant to me.. like the bag, Im sure, I will change the bag to something else.. rather have a blower/lens cleaning kit. And the shop that I am buying from too are a main part of my consideration. Those big retail shops are good for their warranties, but pricing for most of them are... rather expensive(but HN prices are very competitive!).. J316 feels good to buy from them. It's like you 'know' that the after sales service would be there. Being new to photography, this is important to me.

SLS offer some very low prices! There was one shop in lvl 2 that offered me the D90 (18-105VR)kit with freebies of the nikon bag, cleaning kit, 4GB memory card for SGD1300 w/o GST! but i wasn't really keen on buying from them as it was the kind of shop that seems to be like.. "once sold, not my problem" kind of place.. if you know what I mean.
    Hi bro.

This is the right attitude when purchasing DSLRs. Be firm on what you want, knowing that the equipment will eventually outgrow itself.

There are only 2 shops in SLS that I would step in - Alan Photo @ Lvl 1 and Orient Photo @ Lvl 6. But I would put my money @ Lord's @ Lucky Plaza. Pls note that I'm not affliated with them, just another happy customer with the quality service.

Bottomline is be sure on what you want, do your homework and research.

sgd 1300 doensnt sound right for me.. too cheap for a D90.. they will sure ask you to buy extra stuffs before they sell u the D90..

for newbies, i will sugest buying from reputable shops ONLY, you can refer to this list for list of the recommended shop:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showp...48&postcount=7

even tho these are recoomended shops, please do your homework before buying, and DO NOT buy any extra things that they ask you to buy tat you not sure wat's the market price.

for my case, i got my D90 with 18-105 from Harvey Norman @ Funan at abt the same price 3 months back, they do offer very competetive price compared to major camera shops, just get the camera from the shop that you are most comfortable with, for me, i'm willing to pay slightly extra cash for a better service. and btw, i waited for abt 10 days to get my camera, not sure abt the market now.

just get your camera ASAP and start shooting! all the camera u mentioned are great, but between D80, D90, D5000, i'll choose D90, no regret..

Quote Originally Posted by miaoteh View Post
    sgd 1300 doensnt sound right for me.. too cheap for a D90.. they will sure ask you to buy extra stuffs before they sell u the D90..

for newbies, i will sugest buying from reputable shops ONLY, you can refer to this list for list of the recommended shop:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showp...48&postcount=7

even tho these are recoomended shops, please do your homework before buying, and DO NOT buy any extra things that they ask you to buy tat you not sure wat's the market price.

for my case, i got my D90 with 18-105 from Harvey Norman @ Funan at abt the same price 3 months back, they do offer very competetive price compared to major camera shops, just get the camera from the shop that you are most comfortable with, for me, i'm willing to pay slightly extra cash for a better service. and btw, i waited for abt 10 days to get my camera, not sure abt the market now.

just get your camera ASAP and start shooting! all the camera u mentioned are great, but between D80, D90, D5000, i'll choose D90, no regret..
    Yea.. that's what I felt about the SLS shop prices too.. or maybe it's a grey item... who knows? I should be getting it by tomorrow or wednesday, that's when some shops say the supply is coming in.. haiz.. now got money in hand cannot buy.. have to wait..damn gian already!

Harvey Norman does offer a great price. I could safely say, they quoted me almost the same price as what J316 quoted. Feel like going to courts and buy from them, then claimed the extra i paid with the lowest prices policy....

Quote Originally Posted by ABT View Post
    Hi bro.

This is the right attitude when purchasing DSLRs. Be firm on what you want, knowing that the equipment will eventually outgrow itself.

There are only 2 shops in SLS that I would step in - Alan Photo @ Lvl 1 and Orient Photo @ Lvl 6. But I would put my money @ Lord's @ Lucky Plaza. Pls note that I'm not affliated with them, just another happy customer with the quality service.

Bottomline is be sure on what you want, do your homework and research.
    Called up Lord's yesterday and they too don't have the D90 in stock, so are MS, OP and HN, all no stock.. price-wise, they all was qouted me @ around SGD1700.

Yea.. that's what I felt about the SLS shop prices too.. or maybe it's a grey item... who knows? I should be getting it by tomorrow or wednesday, that's when some shops say the supply is coming in.. haiz.. now got money in hand cannot buy.. have to wait..damn gian already!

Harvey Norman does offer a great price. I could safely say, they quoted me almost the same price as what J316 quoted. Feel like going to courts and buy from them, then claimed the extra i paid with the lowest prices policy....
    ya! that is what i was gonna tell you, 1300 will probably get you a grey set..it is never so cheap, if it is, it's fake!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast