Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice on Studio photographs

Default Re: Need advice on Studio photographs

I've learn something new today...

Does the 4 prints includes frames and on what material (photo paper/ canvas?) and what size?

Depending on what u get, the initial $600 maybe quite cheap.

As for the softcopies, the studio has is just practising what the market is doing.

Welcome to the commercial world.
    It is easier to critique than to create ; www.razin-photography.com
    My studio is available for rent

i think the price is ok.. 50bucks per high res on the other hand is too cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by astroboy View Post
    In this case, the photog do NOT have to assign the rights to you, unless you specifically made this request from the beginning and pay accordingly. In commercial photography, the client ask for FULL copyrights and the photographer is just commissioned to shoot. That's why commercial photography rates are in 5-figures minimum rates.
    The photographers/studios does not own the right at the first place. You can refer to Singapore's Copyright act http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/non_versi...st&method=part.

As long as photographer is commissioned with valuable (i.e financial) consideration to shoot another person, the commissioner has the copyright UNLESS, of course, if an agreement has been made to allow photographer to retain the rights.

Therefore by printing "Photographer reserves rights to all works", studios have covered their own backside in a way. By proceeding to allow the studio to take the photos can be argued as an act of agreement to contract by act of commission and therefore TS is at the disadvantage.

That said, I personally agree with photographers retaining rights to works. As mentioned by catchlight, the effort, creativity and labour involved has to be factored into the costs as well. If you're unwilling to pay for that, then don't expect the copyright.

My ex-boss shared with me a story she read in some marketing book. A man went to an famous artist to get a portait drawn. Without first agreeing to a price, the man asked for his portrait to be done first. The portrait was done in two hours and the artist asked for huge payment. The man said, "But you only took 2 hours, I should pay only you for 2 hours of work!". The artist replied, "You are wrong, sir, your portrait took 30 years. 10 years for me to learn drawing as an apprentice and 20 years practicing for today."

The keyword is "commissioned", my friend.

In fact, for all the clients that I deal with, the conversation would start like this:

Mr Client: "So who has the final copyrights to the images?"
    Me: "For $20,000 a day, I'll assign all copyrights to you, Mr Client."

Quote Originally Posted by weevil84 View Post
    The photographers/studios does not own the right at the first place. You can refer to Singapore's Copyright act http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/non_versi...st&method=part.

As long as photographer is commissioned with valuable (i.e financial) consideration to shoot another person, the commissioner has the copyright UNLESS, of course, if an agreement has been made to allow photographer to retain the rights.

Therefore by printing "Photographer reserves rights to all works", studios have covered their own backside in a way. By proceeding to allow the studio to take the photos can be argued as an act of agreement to contract by act of commission and therefore TS is at the disadvantage.

That said, I personally agree with photographers retaining rights to works. As mentioned by catchlight, the effort, creativity and labour involved has to be factored into the costs as well. If you're unwilling to pay for that, then don't expect the copyright.

My ex-boss shared with me a story she read in some marketing book. A man went to an famous artist to get a portait drawn. Without first agreeing to a price, the man asked for his portrait to be done first. The portrait was done in two hours and the artist asked for huge payment. The man said, "But you only took 2 hours, I should pay only you for 2 hours of work!". The artist replied, "You are wrong, sir, your portrait took 30 years. 10 years for me to learn drawing as an apprentice and 20 years practicing for today."

lol. i could do it for you so much cheaper! hahaha. never go to studios!

Quote Originally Posted by sgsschess View Post
    lol. i could do it for you so much cheaper! hahaha. never go to studios!

I took my son's graduation pictures at home ....dirt cheap
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12