Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on Studio photographs

scarface
    Guests

Unhappy Need advice on Studio photographs

Hi Folks,

I recently took some family photographs in a photo studio. The photographer took about 80 photos in 2 hours. I paid about $600 for 4 photos to be developed. When I asked for all the digital images in RAW format, he said that it is too expensive for me. When I asked for all the digital images in JPG format, he said that it will be about $50 per image (resolution will be reduced to be only able to print up to A4 size). That means I have to pay $4000 to have all the 80 digital images in a CD!

Does he have the legal right to keep all the images and charge such prices if I want a copy of the digital images?

Who is the right authority in Singapore who will advise me correctly and help me resolve this issue?

Please help advise.

Default Re: Need advice on Studio photographs

Did you read the contract you signed?

Any why do you want all 80 images?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

vince123123
    Guests

Read your contract/agreement/invoice/receipt etc. You're asking a question that cannot be answered by people outside the transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by scarface View Post
    Hi Folks,

I recently took some family photographs in a photo studio. The photographer took about 80 photos in 2 hours. I paid about $600 for 4 photos to be developed. When I asked for all the digital images in RAW format, he said that it is too expensive for me. When I asked for all the digital images in JPG format, he said that it will be about $50 per image (resolution will be reduced to be only able to print up to A4 size). That means I have to pay $4000 to have all the 80 digital images in a CD!

Does he have the legal right to keep all the images and charge such prices if I want a copy of the digital images?

Who is the right authority in Singapore who will advise me correctly and help me resolve this issue?

Please help advise.

scarface
    Guests

I would like to keep the digital photos for future use. However, even for the 4 pictures that he is developing for me, he will not be providing me with the digital images. Instead he said he will give them to me as a screensaver.

There was no contract, but only the receipt. The wordings are as follows:
    1.) Pictures/works exclude source/digital files, and are not to be used for your commercial or advertising purposes, unless otherwise stated herewith.
    2.) Studio reserve full copyrights to our works. We may, at our discretion, use reproduce, display or distribute them in any of our publicity forms/media.

Would CASE or IPOS be the right people to help solve my request? Please feedback your thoughts.

I don't think you don't have a case here, since 1.) Pictures/works exclude source/digital files and 2.) Studio reserve full copyrights to our works.

Thats how most photography studios work anyways, charging you a premium over the cost of developing, and also future print costs.

yea 2.) basically blocks you out from everything since they have the rights to everything.
    and since most people operate like that, i dont think CASE will be able to do anithing

:S
    you paid 4 k for family portraits? only to receive 4 print out? wow.....
    i hope that the print out is not in a4 size.
    didn't you have any agreement before the shoot?
    like how many photos, in cd or print will be provided and how much? no?

Hi Folks,

Please help advise.
    The thing that i fear the most, is that my pictures will bore you to death...

Quote Originally Posted by tammyt View Post
    :S
    you paid 4 k for family portraits? only to receive 4 print out? wow.....
    i hope that the print out is not in a4 size.
    didn't you have any agreement before the shoot?
    like how many photos, in cd or print will be provided and how much? no?
    the ts paid $600 for 4 prints. not $4,000.

ahhhhh..okokok...
    was reading it too fast just now......
    Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    The thing that i fear the most, is that my pictures will bore you to death...

To be exact.

TS paid about $600 for two hours studio session, that includes the time, expertise and creative of the photographers, and also 4 finish prints to be selected from 80 poses/images.

and TS wish to get RAW images, but not avail, so was offered to purchase high resolution (A4) jpg file at $50 per piece. He intended to purchase all images, I don't think this studio did persuade him to purchase, or insist he has to purchase all the images.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    To be exact.

TS paid about $600 for two hours studio session, that includes the time, expertise and creative of the photographers, and also 4 finish prints to be selected from 80 poses/images.

and TS wish to get RAW images, but not avail, so was offered to purchase high resolution (A4) jpg file at $50 per piece. He intended to purchase all images, I don't think this studio persuade him to purchase, or insist he has to purchase all the images.
    yeah. just wondering is that a common practice in sgp? i see it done mostly overseas by studios.

Quote Originally Posted by tammyt View Post
    ahhhhh..okokok...
    was reading it too fast just now......
    last time english oral nvr get high marks right?

Blog Entries

Hi Folks,

Please help advise.
    i believe what you were sold is the 4 prints
    and nothing else

in the days of film, the negs/trans were also not given to the customer
    so why would the digital files be given today?

they will just be shooting themselves in the foot

well, shouldnt TS do more research before taking up the offer of this photographer?

I would like to keep the digital photos for future use. However, even for the 4 pictures that he is developing for me, he will not be providing me with the digital images. Instead he said he will give them to me as a screensaver.

There was no contract, but only the receipt. The wordings are as follows:
    1.) Pictures/works exclude source/digital files, and are not to be used for your commercial or advertising purposes, unless otherwise stated herewith.
    2.) Studio reserve full copyrights to our works. We may, at our discretion, use reproduce, display or distribute them in any of our publicity forms/media.

Would CASE or IPOS be the right people to help solve my request? Please feedback your thoughts.
    since you have read the fine print, after you have taken the portrait, paid the money, there is noting more to say.

btw, before you purchase anything, don't you have a habit of asking what are you buying, how much you need to pay, what will you get in return?

This is a practice carried over from the old pre-war days. The studio owner will keep the negatives until the day he dies or close shop. You want re-prints? Just go back to him and pay extra.

In this case, the photog do NOT have to assign the rights to you, unless you specifically made this request from the beginning and pay accordingly. In commercial photography, the client ask for FULL copyrights and the photographer is just commissioned to shoot. That's why commercial photography rates are in 5-figures minimum rates.

yeah. just wondering is that a common practice in sgp? i see it done mostly overseas by studios.
    it is a norm for all portrait studios, including bridal shops.

that's why so many people want to come to clubsnap to look for cheap and ****** photographers,

and thanks to clubsnap, many customers to around portrait studios to ask for RAW images, condeme any photographers for not shooting RAW for paid jobs, irregardless what type of jobs.

Blog Entries

just as good as buying a nice meal and asking the chef for the recipe so that you can make it yourself the next time

Is this the company that are specailized in shooting Convocation?

TS has no rights to the raw files.

period.

My advise is, enjoy the 4 prints, move on.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast