Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: what's the difference between smartphone and normal phone?

  1. #1
    Member adorable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bury Road
    Posts
    229

    Question what's the difference between smartphone and normal phone?

    Knowing that I've an iPhone, my friend asked me what's the difference between a smartphone and a normal phone when a normal phone can do everything a smartphone can.

    Smartphone can play video, so can a normal phone.

    Smartphone can play music, so can a normal phone.

    Both phones can install programs, apps and games.

    Both phones can take photo and video (in fact, her normal phone is 8mp with flash!)

    Both phones have large memory (by having a large memory card, her phone is 64GB, larger than iPhone 32GB)

    Both phones can surf internet, MSN and emails.

    So what's the difference?
    Why is smartphone more powerful?

  2. #2

    Default Re: what's the difference between smartphone and normal phone?

    More expensive.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    In The Shadows
    Posts
    1,230

    Default Re: what's the difference between smartphone and normal phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by adorable View Post
    Knowing that I've an iPhone, my friend asked me what's the difference between a smartphone and a normal phone when a normal phone can do everything a smartphone can.

    Smartphone can play video, so can a normal phone.

    Smartphone can play music, so can a normal phone.

    Both phones can install programs, apps and games.

    Both phones can take photo and video (in fact, her normal phone is 8mp with flash!)

    Both phones have large memory (by having a large memory card, her phone is 64GB, larger than iPhone 32GB)

    Both phones can surf internet, MSN and emails.

    So what's the difference?
    Why is smartphone more powerful?
    Because of the word smart infront.

    GMAN

  4. #4
    Member Cartman2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    1,732

    Default Re: what's the difference between smartphone and normal phone?

    by having a large memory card, her phone is 64GB
    Yikes, isn't it laggy?

  5. #5

    Default Re: what's the difference between smartphone and normal phone?

    Nowadays its like decided by whether it has a touch screen?

  6. #6
    Member adorable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bury Road
    Posts
    229

    Default Re: what's the difference between smartphone and normal phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by redmonsoon View Post
    Nowadays its like decided by whether it has a touch screen?
    So got touchscreen = smartphone.

    I asked around, some of my friends said got OS like Symbian, iPhone 3.0, Windows Mobile, Andriod, then are smartphones.

    Some said got multimedia and internet are smartphones ... but normal phones these days also powerful, also got multimedia and internet capabilities leh.

  7. #7
    Member adorable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bury Road
    Posts
    229

    Default Re: what's the difference between smartphone and normal phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    More expensive.
    Some luxury series like Vertu more expensive, are they considered smartphone?

  8. #8

    Default Re: what's the difference between smartphone and normal phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by adorable View Post
    Some luxury series like Vertu more expensive, are they considered smartphone?
    If you can't afford it, buy liao, not very smart.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  9. #9

    Default Re: what's the difference between smartphone and normal phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by adorable View Post
    Knowing that I've an iPhone, my friend asked me what's the difference between a smartphone and a normal phone when a normal phone can do everything a smartphone can.

    Smartphone can play video, so can a normal phone.

    Smartphone can play music, so can a normal phone.

    Both phones can install programs, apps and games.

    Both phones can take photo and video (in fact, her normal phone is 8mp with flash!)

    Both phones have large memory (by having a large memory card, her phone is 64GB, larger than iPhone 32GB)

    Both phones can surf internet, MSN and emails.

    So what's the difference?
    Why is smartphone more powerful?
    smartphone are for smart ppls and normal phone are for normal ppls.....

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: what's the difference between smartphone and normal phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    If you can't afford it, buy liao, not very smart.
    You mean the buyer not very smart, or phone not smart?

    HS

  11. #11

    Default Re: what's the difference between smartphone and normal phone?


    in this case, this must be for dummy

  12. #12
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: what's the difference between smartphone and normal phone?

    Smartphone is a old term used to describe phones that have a OS built in (Palm or Window Mobile.... nowadays, Symbian, iPhone 3.0, Andriod....etc). Most smartphones also have some PDA features... like Doc reader (pdf, Win Office) movie/media player, appointment recording.... etc.

    But nowadays..... even some simple 'Non-smartphones' could also do some or all of those functions.

    The line between Smart or Non-smart phones had greatly been blurred.....

    Btw.... I'm using Samsung Omnia II..... from Sony Ericsson W395I......

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  13. #13

    Default Re: what's the difference between smartphone and normal phone?

    The difference lies in the person behind the phone.
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

  14. #14
    Member adorable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bury Road
    Posts
    229

    Default Re: what's the difference between smartphone and normal phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Smartphone is a old term used to describe phones that have a OS built in (Palm or Window Mobile.... nowadays, Symbian, iPhone 3.0, Andriod....etc). Most smartphones also have some PDA features... like Doc reader (pdf, Win Office) movie/media player, appointment recording.... etc.

    But nowadays..... even some simple 'Non-smartphones' could also do some or all of those functions.

    The line between Smart or Non-smart phones had greatly been blurred.....

    Btw.... I'm using Samsung Omnia II..... from Sony Ericsson W395I......
    Ya, the line between smart and normal phones are so blurred, even some high end normal phones can open PDF, documents and do PDA stuff.

    So what's the added advantage of a smartphone other than the touchscreen?

  15. #15

    Default Re: what's the difference between smartphone and normal phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by lexus View Post
    smartphone are for smart ppls and normal phone are for normal ppls.....
    I'm still using a 'normal' phone when others are already using 'internet capable' color screen phone.. Till now I still use my mobile for at least 2yrs.. I'm really V normal plain joe..

  16. #16

    Default Re: what's the difference between smartphone and normal phone?

    The term 'smartphone' is a marketing term to hype up mobile phones. I remember when it was first used, it meant that the phone had a more sophisticated operating system, and could do email, surf the web using a browser (not WAP), and had some form of address book/ calendar applications. That was the minimum requirement. Then as time passed, you saw PDA features spill over to the phone arena, and then we had PDA phones which had CPUs and were capable of running productivity suites like Powerpoint, Word and Outlook (or their equivalent). Then the line between smartphone and PDA phone became really blurry when the smartphone tried to grow up. To me the term smartphone will continue to lose its significance. Don't worry about its definition, just concentrate on what features you need. Smartphone is not a 'standard', like ISO 9001 or some assurance of a phone's quality or powderful-ness. : P

  17. #17

    Default Re: what's the difference between smartphone and normal phone?

    smartphones r to compensate for the stupid user.

    like express stream is actually normal,
    n normal stream is ........

    serious now,
    u proclaim loudly whatever u lack,
    like MASTERphotographer,
    studioKING, Nissan XXXXXX LIMITED EDITION n so on.

  18. #18
    Senior Member dennisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Freezing Upp Thomson/Mandai!
    Posts
    2,008

    Default Re: what's the difference between smartphone and normal phone?

    Been using smartphones for like since it came out 7yrs ago or more. O, Ipaq, HTC, etc and now sudddenly everyone goes hoo haaa over the iphone. It's basicly the same thing.

    Not to forget smartphones can run your pc DOS applications (even dos games), update you on the currency, weather, GPS, maps, have tons of dictionaries, read e-books, watch dvd quality videos, compose excel, words, whatever. That's what I do with my phone anyways.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •