Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: originality.

Default Re: originality.

singing/singer is different.....you dont need two celin dion, you dont need 2 jacky chang, you dont need 2 michael jackson.....no one will buy your album, period.
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    singing/singer is different.....you dont need two celin dion, you dont need 2 jacky chang, you dont need 2 michael jackson.....no one will buy your album, period.
    for every successfully marketed celine dion, michael jackson

there is a beautiful voice singing on the streets with an upturned cap, collecting pennies.

such is life.

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    You don't need two William Hung too.

Last edited by Sion; 25th July 2009 at 11:35 PM.

Originality is everywhere.

It is the same as different species of monkeys, flowers, etc.
    They have similar traits but the minor differences are what make each species totally different from one another.

The same way that a layout of a red square on a white background in the center of the page, versus a layout of a red square on a white background 2% to the left of the center of the page are two totally different beasts.

The only reason you don't see originality in alot of things is because you're mainly concerned with the big brush strokes-the concept of a photo of a girl with paint over her face

The concept is not the main determining factor of whether something is original
    The process and execution heavily determine how "original" something is also.

if you copy, you should publicly pay homage to the one you copied from. it makes you "noble". unoriginal yes, but noble still.
    "The more you know, the more you suffer."

mostly of those who "clone" or "copy" the original piece will avoid credit the original...

well seriously, my point is not really much on the originality but more on the copy or clone part... some of the work you seen ard, are obviously a piece of stealing art, a "cloning" work,
    some may take it as a inspiration and interpret it in their own style.. and that, we call creativity.....
    The thing that i fear the most, is that my pictures will bore you to death...

There is no such thing as a true ORIGINAL work .... as long as the work results in a lot of interests and inspirational, then it can be considered ORIGINAL ...

You dont need two Edison Chens
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by tammyt View Post

well seriously, my point is not really much on the originality but more on the copy or clone part... some of the work you seen ard, are obviously a piece of stealing art, a "cloning" work,
    some may take it as a inspiration and interpret it in their own style.. and that, we call creativity.....
    but it is still to a certain extent, imitation, right?

a lot of what we see is not original. especially the ones that make it to the front page news.

funny how my mates and I were having this discussion about originality and covers in the music industry, especially with relation to Kanye West.
    chicken fight!

whats about kanye west?
    he is not original????

by the way, talk about music and imitation.. i remember that's one time, i purchased a cd frm a local shop here in brunei... the cashier took a look at the cd that i picked and looked at me with her confused face and says: "i guess you've taken the wrong disc, this is the original cd, the pirated version is over the other side" (over here, most of the cd shops sells pirated discs, and of cos those are the hot items in the shops)
    and yeah, not alot of ppl support "original" anymore... and it is "weird" to purchase "original" disc........

Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post
    funny how my mates and I were having this discussion about originality and covers in the music industry, especially with relation to Kanye West.

whats about kanye west?
    he is not original????
    nah the conversation we had was about preserving the classics, and is what Kanye West doing considered a form of preservation, since the nature of his music is the mixing of sounds/records that have been done by other people, and serving it up to people of today's generation.

so we were wondering is that really considered creativity, or a form of creativity (coz you have to be creative to mix music together), or just plain out plagiarism.

we didn't come to a conclusion coz we were distracted by videos of girls dancing.
    chicken fight!

mostly of those who "clone" or "copy" the original piece will avoid credit the original...

actually, if you could call those clone work something else, i would call them crispy

complicated....

now when i step back and rethink the whole issue, i am thinking,
    be it an imitation or original work, all needs hard work to produce..
    although the imitation work obviously has less work to do... but well...
    i believe, no one will willing to live behind the shadow.. be it a musician, a painter,
    a photographer, artist.... i wish all well...

Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post
    nah the conversation we had was about preserving the classics, and is what Kanye West doing considered a form of preservation, since the nature of his music is the mixing of sounds/records that have been done by other people, and serving it up to people of today's generation.

so we were wondering is that really considered creativity, or a form of creativity (coz you have to be creative to mix music together), or just plain out plagiarism.

we didn't come to a conclusion coz we were distracted by videos of girls dancing.

"CRISPY"????

Quote Originally Posted by sprintist View Post
    actually, if you could call those clone work something else, i would call them crispy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12