Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: originality.

  1. #1
    Member tammyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    brunei, malaysia, singapore
    Posts
    219

    Default originality.

    I recently watch a singing contest show, and the judge commented on one of the contestant way of singing, as he is mimicking other singer voice.

    and it got me thinking on the issues of originality....
    you may copy others voice/style at the beginning as a stepping stone for the learning stage, but frm there, you must explore your own style,else, slowly you will become a "copy cat."

    yes, a copy cat.... living behind others shadow..
    and i am to relate it to design / styling / photography or creativity, the conceptual part.

    i am in doubt of the "originality" issues too..
    its now the 21st century, most of the ideas and concept has been done by others..
    even for my own work, i cant even guarantee if it has been done before..
    and cant deny the facts that, sometime it is just a coincidence that you thought of something that other ppl has been done before....
    but to purposely copy it and make it your own work, i think that is very unforgivable..you may take the inspiration, how the work inspired you to form another piece of art, or to add in a different style of yours, but not to direct copy it.

    i have seen some work, which i ADORE and ADMIRE... a piece of art, i must say, from styling, to composition...however, lately i found out that, it was a "DIRECT" copy from other photographers' achieves...you may be famous, and be recognized by ppl who didn't know of the original creator, but sooner or later, with the help of the advance internet, ppl will find out you are just a copy cat...

    yes a copy cat.....

    i am not a pro, nor i am very good in this field.. i am just to vent my disappointment over this issues. you may disagree with my point, but again, it is just my p.o.v.....


    t.
    The thing that i fear the most, is that my pictures will bore you to death...

  2. #2
    Senior Member dennisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Freezing Upp Thomson/Mandai!
    Posts
    2,008

    Default Re: originality.

    just take it as the saying goes: mimicry is the best form of flattery
    and your life will be simpler

  3. #3
    Member tammyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    brunei, malaysia, singapore
    Posts
    219

    Default Re: originality.

    tat's help..
    well, if it is my work tat being copied. i will be proud.. haaha...
    but still it is kind of sad....

    Quote Originally Posted by dennisc View Post
    just take it as the saying goes: mimicry is the best form of flattery
    and your life will be simpler
    The thing that i fear the most, is that my pictures will bore you to death...

  4. #4

    Default Re: originality.

    'There is no original ideas left'
    This is not a new argument and has been discussed n debated to death.

    Even our very sense of beauty and all things is not original but shaped by everything from our history, culture and surroundings. And thus we use words like personal 'interpretations'.

    Perhaps if there appear a whole new 'Emotion' or 'Feeling' in the human race, I'll say all avenues has already been explored in varying degrees. Its just all different interpretations.

    Lets say if tomorrow I shoot
    1. wedding photos of couple looking like they died in a warzone..
    2. whole series of Cars with beautifully lit undercarriages..
    3. fashion models who are all missing one arm..
    4. food photography where all food are served on broken plates.
    etc etc..I think the above are all just interpretations of various ideas.

    Is there anyone who dare say his work is a truly original work in terms of concept?I do not tink so.
    If so, its just because we're too used to loosely using the word 'originality'
    In fact, they more we 'learn' and so call 'improve',the further we are moving away from any hope of originality.
    Last edited by redmonsoon; 24th July 2009 at 08:26 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northland
    Posts
    2,141

    Default Re: originality.

    Quote Originally Posted by tammyt View Post
    I recently watch a singing contest show, and the judge commented on one of the contestant way of singing, as he is mimicking other singer voice.

    and it got me thinking on the issues of originality....
    you may copy others voice/style at the beginning as a stepping stone for the learning stage, but frm there, you must explore your own style,else, slowly you will become a "copy cat."

    yes, a copy cat.... living behind others shadow..
    and i am to relate it to design / styling / photography or creativity, the conceptual part.

    i am in doubt of the "originality" issues too..
    its now the 21st century, most of the ideas and concept has been done by others..
    even for my own work, i cant even guarantee if it has been done before..
    and cant deny the facts that, sometime it is just a coincidence that you thought of something that other ppl has been done before....
    but to purposely copy it and make it your own work, i think that is very unforgivable..you may take the inspiration, how the work inspired you to form another piece of art, or to add in a different style of yours, but not to direct copy it.

    i have seen some work, which i ADORE and ADMIRE... a piece of art, i must say, from styling, to composition...however, lately i found out that, it was a "DIRECT" copy from other photographers' achieves...you may be famous, and be recognized by ppl who didn't know of the original creator, but sooner or later, with the help of the advance internet, ppl will find out you are just a copy cat...

    yes a copy cat.....

    i am not a pro, nor i am very good in this field.. i am just to vent my disappointment over this issues. you may disagree with my point, but again, it is just my p.o.v.....


    t.




    Chill, girl.... strive on ..looking fwd to see more works from you


    Our local FASHION photographer, Geoff shared this as a parting quote in one of his recent talks:



    Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And donít bother concealing your thievery ó celebrate it if you feel like it.

    In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: ďItís not where you take things from ó itís where you take them to".

    Jim Jarmush

  6. #6

    Default Re: originality.

    BUT, as to how I view it..
    I appreciate beauty in all its various forms,eg. a lady may be asian, caucasian,etc, but still, I know a stunning lady when I see one.

    I do not require her to be an original. In fact, can you imagine how sad the world would be if such a beauty walks the world but once?(originality)

    However, I love that beauties appear in their various forms(interpretations). Doesnt matter that there may be copies in the world that I have not seen.

  7. #7
    Member tammyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    brunei, malaysia, singapore
    Posts
    219

    Default Re: originality.

    Hello redmonsoon,

    thanks for the feedback...
    and i totally agree with your point with:

    "Even our very sense of beauty and all things is not original but shaped by everything from our history, culture and surroundings. And thus we use words like personal 'interpretations'."

    perhaps i should change the title...
    i am not really taking about "originality"
    as i mentioned, i doubt that term too..
    like i said, its 21 century now, most of the things has been done before.....
    and no one can guarantee their work is original....
    for example,when i see a piece of art, and it inspired me to do something similar,
    but i m to imply my own style, my own interpretation.. and that's belongs to me.. i did not copy the work... and i am fine with it, even myself did that... some of my design work were inspired by other great designers..

    but what i am pointing my finger are to those "copy cat",
    who "copy" at least 95% frm the original work.. the concept, the design....
    with the 5% left are perhaps the angle, the colour or the model...
    below are an example taken from american next top model...
    and another photographer....
    have you seen something similar? yes, i did, few of them... :S



    and this,




    t



    Quote Originally Posted by redmonsoon View Post
    'There is no original ideas left'
    This is not a new argument and has been discussed n debated to death.

    Even our very sense of beauty and all things is not original but shaped by everything from our history, culture and surroundings. And thus we use words like personal 'interpretations'.

    Perhaps if there appear a whole new 'Emotion' or 'Feeling' in the human race, I'll say all avenues has already been explored in varying degrees. Its just all different interpretations.

    Lets say if tomorrow I shoot
    1. wedding photos of couple looking like they died in a warzone..
    2. whole series of Cars with beautifully lit undercarriages..
    3. fashion models who are all missing one arm..
    4. food photography where all food are served on broken plates.
    etc etc..I think the above are all just interpretations of various ideas.

    Is there anyone who dare say his work is a truly original work in terms of concept?I do not tink so.
    If so, its just because we're too used to loosely using the word 'originality'
    In fact, they more we 'learn' and so call 'improve',the further we are moving away from any hope of originality.
    The thing that i fear the most, is that my pictures will bore you to death...

  8. #8
    Member tammyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    brunei, malaysia, singapore
    Posts
    219

    Default Re: originality.

    Hey Ah V!


    thanks!
    yeah, i am aware of that quote too..
    and i am totally agree with him........
    and i love that phrase
    "Itís not where you take things from ó itís where you take them to"

    go ahead and steal ideas, but complete it with your own interpretation / creativity!!!


    t

    Quote Originally Posted by AhV View Post



    Chill, girl.... strive on ..looking fwd to see more works from you


    Our local FASHION photographer, Geoff shared this as a parting quote in one of his recent talks:



    Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And donít bother concealing your thievery ó celebrate it if you feel like it.

    In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: ďItís not where you take things from ó itís where you take them to".

    Jim Jarmush
    The thing that i fear the most, is that my pictures will bore you to death...

  9. #9

    Default Re: originality.

    two quotes:

    "it's all been done before"

    "originality is overrated"

    kthxbai

    often, the people who think their work is original.. just haven't seen enough sometimes.

  10. #10
    Member tammyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    brunei, malaysia, singapore
    Posts
    219

    Default Re: originality.

    Haiz,

    it's a matter of fact that you did it on purpose or not........


    t

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    two quotes:

    "it's all been done before"

    "originality is overrated"

    kthxbai

    often, the people who think their work is original.. just haven't seen enough sometimes.
    Last edited by tammyt; 25th July 2009 at 12:36 AM.
    The thing that i fear the most, is that my pictures will bore you to death...

  11. #11

    Default Re: originality.

    do it purposely and yet do it better
    so others will forget about the originality

  12. #12
    Member tammyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    brunei, malaysia, singapore
    Posts
    219

    Default Re: originality.

    do it purposely and do it better =
    do it purposely and change nothing =
    hehehehehehe

    Quote Originally Posted by soeypixels View Post
    do it purposely and yet do it better
    so others will forget about the originality
    The thing that i fear the most, is that my pictures will bore you to death...

  13. #13

    Default Re: originality.

    Quote Originally Posted by tammyt View Post
    Haiz,

    it's a matter of fact that you did it on purpose or not........
    the world is pragmatic.

    you can do it on purpose or not, sell it properly one way or another, people will believe.

    person a has an original idea but doesn't know how to sell it

    person b sees the original idea, notes that person a doesn't know how to sell it, nor how to protect it, he takes it, markets it well, and sells it

    person b becomes famous and rich. do you think person a is going to try to do anything, especially if person a remains poor?

    it's nice to be idealistic now and then.. but too often, you just become a dreamer

  14. #14

    Default Re: originality.

    I was just tinking after my bath just now, and standing in front of the mirror..
    That it'll be so difficult or possibly, almost next to impossible to simply ' Have an original facial expression!'..

  15. #15
    Deregistered riotvan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    at your bedroom window
    Posts
    1,489

    Default Re: originality.

    two people can execute an idea so cliched, and though both aren't original ideas, it doesn't mean that one can't outshine the other.

    it's really the way you do it. poor execution of any idea, whether original or not, will still result in a horrible picture.

    and if you can make a supposedly unoriginal idea look even better than the original one, why not?
    Last edited by riotvan; 25th July 2009 at 05:21 AM.

  16. #16
    Member tammyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    brunei, malaysia, singapore
    Posts
    219

    Default Re: originality.

    i am cool with the idea of do it better than the original...

    btw, i can't stop laughing about the "original SMile" thingy!!! lol
    i wonder who invented "smile".. besides, for what i have know of,
    everyone has their own different kind of smiling face, everyone smile differently isnt it? no?
    unless it is a clone? hrmmm.. clone sounds scary!!!!!
    Last edited by tammyt; 25th July 2009 at 02:01 PM.
    The thing that i fear the most, is that my pictures will bore you to death...

  17. #17
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: originality.

    Quote Originally Posted by redmonsoon View Post
    I was just tinking after my bath just now, and standing in front of the mirror..
    That it'll be so difficult or possibly, almost next to impossible to simply ' Have an original facial expression!'..
    Turn your back to the mirro and smile.

    That's an original smile.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: originality.

    Quote Originally Posted by riotvan View Post

    ...and if you can make a supposedly unoriginal idea look even better than the original one, why not?
    Is it original to tranform an unoriginal idea into an original result which is better than the unoriginal one but not worse than an original piece but turns out to be unoriginally original?

  19. #19

    Default Re: originality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Is it original to tranform an unoriginal idea into an original result which is better than the unoriginal one but not worse than an original piece but turns out to be unoriginally original?
    this sounds like something i would have typed..

  20. #20

    Default Re: originality.

    Originally Posted by Sion View Post

    Is it original to tranform an unoriginal idea into an original result which is better than the unoriginal one but not worse than an original piece but turns out to be unoriginally original?

    this sounds like something i would have typed..
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken413o View Post
    this sounds like something i would have typed..

    Ohhh.. Go out take my original(to me & my camera) photos loh...
    *u guys complicates e world too much..lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •