View Poll Results: Photographers, do you all mind to be photographed?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 20.41%
  • No

52 53.06%
  • Depends (preferably quote your reasons why)

26 26.53%

Thread: Do photographers like to be photographed?

Default Do photographers like to be photographed?

Hey yo...I was talking to a budding artist colleague cum good friend about her plans to change her career direction....

We were talking about photography and she tells me most photographers will not want to be photographed. The reason is because they think they will spoil the pictures...

Personally I don't mind being photographed...

So any opinions?

set urself up to look good in the final image! helps in ur portfolio..

in the heat of action, usually no. coz ur eyes r in the viewfinder n u cant see sideways anyway.

when not in action...that depends

i photograph people on the streets so i know how essential it is to get that moment you want.

i wouldn't mind being photographed if the photographer sees a moment that he feels is interesting. however if it eats into my personal space (like i'm with gf, etc) then i'd hope he won't post it anywhere though

Smile

personally, i'm camera shy... i dislike being snapped because i'm not a looker.

that's why i got a camera and started snapping pictures, it ensures i stay on the correct side of the camera. the comfortable side.

Wink

Depends
    If it is someone I can trust whom will not circulate my pictures, I do not mind.
    But I have a fellow PSS members who took pictures of me when I am resting with my eyes close in the clubhse, and he did that twice despite me telling him off that I do not like it.
    Personally, I feel very offended because I dont trust him and I certainly felt that he is very rude in doing that.
    But as a photographer, I do take candid shots of pple on the streets without their knowledge. So if I had mine taken by others, that is something which I cannot control and guessed I have no say.
    Dancing desert scorpion
    :devil:

actually I always complain that pictures of me dun turn out the way I want them....

Taipei, Taiwan/ Los Angeles, California. U.S.A.

If I am the one taking the picture, I don't mind at all

Actually, if you ask me nicely and when I'm in a good mood, I don't mind being photographed. I'm photogenic anyways.
    Then my smile comes out nicely and not plastered awkwardly on my face.

Come think of it, I don't mind being a model for some of you people that I know pretty well.

hmm sounds like being in a photo isnt a good idea for eyes...

but i think only the photographer him/herself will think a lot more...but the truth is that hardly anyone will think the photographer spoiled the pic.

i was actually thinking, prob my friend worshipped art...not appreciate art. to me art is never to be feared...

just my one cent coin ... =)

Well...to me...it really depends on a couple of things...mainly how I feel abt the situation I'm in...like many of you posted above...I guess I'll hvta be comfortable...Personally...I don't think I'm photogenic...but then again...thats my own opinion...other ppl might think otherwise...heh heh

well, photographers are normal people too. we have our own preferences about being photographed. let's say i dont like being snapped, i would be trying to avoid the lens irregardless of whether i'm a photographer or not.

for myself, i often engage in the stupid past time of 'photo-sparring' with photographers i know well when we're at an event or somthing. trying to take pictures of each other off guard.

i guess for ppl (like us) who are sensitive to their surroundings, it is harder for them to be natural when they happen to find themselves becoming other ppl's candid subjects. there was once when i happened to look across the street and saw a photographer aiming in my direction with his kit. then i stared back hard n after a while, he stopped n looked elsewhere. maybe i was oversensitive... or maybe, my stare got magnified thru his telephoto that he bueh tahan!

but recently during click-art season, i was sitting in esplanade waiting for my fren when a horde of photographers swarmed in. i carried on reading pamphlets but i noticed one of them by the side shooting my feet. then he asked me to cross my legs n blah blah blah. then another one comes along and ask me to read my stuff as usual. wah liew, i became their model n let them shoot.

as u can see above, whether i liked being shot is highly dependent on mood. ... and maybe weather.

cheerios

What a question! Hey but it really makes me think. Yes I like to be photograph. My reason, we need to be fair. We can take other people candid shot, so we should not mind our picture taken by someone. But too bad nobody like to take my photo.

Ya I agree that just like we would like our subjects to be more co-operative and open minded (especially shooting candid shots), we photographers should serv as good examples ourselves.
    But I know that in most if not all photographers' albums, you will scarcely find self-portraits.
    Photographers are never 'visually' present at any event: weddings, holidays, excursions, tours, etc.

Default I voted yes, but...

As a photographer, I like to have control over my images. Even if I'm not the one taking the picture, I like to know what's going on, pose, and hopefully make sure it isn't an awful image afterward. I would probably hate to have candid shots taken of me, for one. As long as I know a camera is pointed at me I'm all right, though.

I do a lot of shooting at Rocky Horror Picture Shows at my University. I hope I'm not making a hideously obscure American-centric reference here, but it's an excuse to dress up and show off: http://netdrain.com/nightshade/IMG_0665.jpg . All part of liking to be photographed, I guess; they've even used me for their advertisement before.

*shrugs* What's the point of liking your picture taken if you don't show it off? (PS: There's a good bit of my gear in my right hand, so it's not -totally- off topic, no? (Maxxum 7, HSD 5600 flash, stroboframe flip flash bracket, 24-105 AFD, loaded with Kodak Supra 800))

- Neil

i dun mind being photographed with permissions....

coz... i think im photogenic?

Generally, i only like to be taken together with frens or in group photos. I dont like to take solo photos. Coz i like to be behind the camera not in front of the camera. (accually, lame excuse.. hahahahaa... i'm just not photogenic enough... )