Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Anyone knows which telescope for astrophotograhy newbie?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    101

    Default Anyone knows which telescope for astrophotograhy newbie?

    Hi,

    Went to Suntec yesterday and found out that there's a brand call Bushnell telescope. They looked so cool. Anyone knows if it's a good brand?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong, Pokfulam
    Posts
    1,157

    Default

    what kind of astrophotography do you intend to do?
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    101

    Default

    To begin with, take photos of the moon, then others....

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong, Pokfulam
    Posts
    1,157

    Default

    how does that bushnell scope look like?

    before u buy a scope, make sure it has the accessories either included (quite rare) or optional (for u to purchase) for you to attach your camera to it.

    for lunar photography it requires medium to high magnification which the cheaper departmental store telescopes do not handle well. the wobbly mounts that come along will give u nothing but blur pictures.

    avoid buying scopes that advertise on magnification alone.

    the max magnification a scope can take is generally 40~50X per inch. say a average 60mm telescope would provide decent views up to 80~120x before the image starts breaking down, while higher quality ones might be able to go even higher. but those are generally more expensive.

    try this
    http://www.celestron.com/
    http://www.meade.com
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong, Pokfulam
    Posts
    1,157

    Default

    on 2nd thoughts. before u buy anything.. go to takashimaya's kinokuniya astronomy section, pick up a book on astrophotography, alternatively on the 5th (or 6th?) floor there's a library with a healthy section on astronomy related books which will be helpful to you. if there's more u want to know u can PM me. i'll only be using the pc during weekends.
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo
    Hi,

    Went to Suntec yesterday and found out that there's a brand call Bushnell telescope. They looked so cool. Anyone knows if it's a good brand?
    Bushnell make okay terrestrial telescopes but their astronomical telescopes are not much use for anything remotely serious.

    Ones to avoid:
    Bushnell
    Tasco
    Jason

    Better brands:
    Meade
    Celestron
    Skywatcher/master
    TAL
    Vixen
    Borg
    Orion
    Coultier Optics

    Good brands:
    Televue
    Takahashi
    AstroPhysics
    Zeiss
    Intes (smaller units)
    Questar
    Beacon Hill (UK)
    Fullerscopes (Broadhurst & Clarkson) 70s gear UK
    Cave (70's)
    Unitron
    Parkes
    Brashear

    Serious end stuff:
    High quality ATM'd gear (optics especially)
    DFM
    D&G Optical (achromats)
    Intes (large units)
    Torus Precision Optics
    Top of the line AstroPhysics and Takahashi
    Any custom manufacturer of research telescopes.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    Bushnell make okay terrestrial telescopes but their astronomical telescopes are not much use for anything remotely serious.

    Ones to avoid:
    Bushnell
    Tasco
    Jason

    Better brands:
    Meade
    Celestron
    Skywatcher/master
    TAL
    Vixen
    Borg
    Orion
    Coultier Optics

    Good brands:
    Televue
    Takahashi
    AstroPhysics
    Zeiss
    Intes (smaller units)
    Questar
    Beacon Hill (UK)
    Fullerscopes (Broadhurst & Clarkson) 70s gear UK
    Cave (70's)
    Unitron
    Parkes
    Brashear

    Serious end stuff:
    High quality ATM'd gear (optics especially)
    DFM
    D&G Optical (achromats)
    Intes (large units)
    Torus Precision Optics
    Top of the line AstroPhysics and Takahashi
    Any custom manufacturer of research telescopes.
    I just bought one ...... ..... i tot it might be ok since it was brought in by Sigma ..... even ordered a T-mount from them

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    I just bought one ...... ..... i tot it might be ok since it was brought in by Sigma ..... even ordered a T-mount from them
    Which one did you get? A refractor or reflector (size, focal length and mouting)....
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Thanks djork and Ian. I went to PI Asia in Suntec, the Bushnell Northstar sounds quite impressive. With a built-in database of 20,000 celestial objects, just call up the object on the hand-held control module, the scope automatically tracks the object! Cool! The price is $928 and need to get a adaptor in order to fit a camera in. It's less than a $100 for the adaptor according to the salesman. There wasn't a demo of this model though, I can only imagine how good it was. Thinking about this scope a lot but when I went to the singastro site last night, may be I should do more research about this before rushing to get something that I may regret later.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo
    Thanks djork and Ian. I went to PI Asia in Suntec, the Bushnell Northstar sounds quite impressive. With a built-in database of 20,000 celestial objects, just call up the object on the hand-held control module, the scope automatically tracks the object! Cool! The price is $928 and need to get a adaptor in order to fit a camera in. It's less than a $100 for the adaptor according to the salesman. There wasn't a demo of this model though, I can only imagine how good it was. Thinking about this scope a lot but when I went to the singastro site last night, may be I should do more research about this before rushing to get something that I may regret later.
    I'd suggest you concentrate a lot less on gee whizz features like inbuilt databases and look at the fundamentals that a good telescope requires, eg: decent optics, stable rigid mount, damping times and a dozen or so other fundamentals that indicate if a telescope and mount have any real potential to live up to being a half decent astronomical telescope.

    Cheers,
    Ian
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Hmmm.... Very true, Ian. Do you know any place that I can take some fundamental course about getting a good scope, astronomy and astrophotography?

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    Which one did you get? A refractor or reflector (size, focal length and mouting)....
    565 x 60mm Refractor, 750mm, 8mm / 12/ 20mm eyepieces, Equatorial Mount.
    Last edited by blurblock; 15th December 2003 at 07:27 AM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    565 x 60mm Refractor, 750mm, 8mm / 12/ 20mm eyepieces, Equatorial Mount.
    1.25" eyepieces or 0.960?
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    It is significantly cheaper to get the scope from oversea, and avoid the middleman

    Even with shipping, it will still save you a lot
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    1.25" eyepieces or 0.960?
    1.25" eyepieces ... but from B&H videophotography website, it has a 0.96" barrel.......

    Anyway, just checked from the B&H website, their selling price for this particular telescope is US$169.95 + US$107 Shipping charges .... about $473.60 Sing dollars .... I got it at $488 .... so not too bad lah ...... $15 difference ...... (Not to mention stupid Visa is charging 2% for forgien Currency Conversion, which is $9 more .... so actual lost is about $5). ...... but they come with Starry Night CD ..... here don't ....
    Last edited by blurblock; 16th December 2003 at 07:40 AM.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    It is significantly cheaper to get the scope from oversea, and avoid the middleman

    Even with shipping, it will still save you a lot
    but no contact mah ......

    Anyway, how did you get 2000mm F/10????

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    but no contact mah ......

    Anyway, how did you get 2000mm F/10????
    That's an 8" f10 as in either an SCT or Schmidt/Newtonian, as it's a folded optical design it's actually an equivalent focal length to 80".

    My 10" SCT at f10 is 2,500mm.

    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong, Pokfulam
    Posts
    1,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo
    Hmmm.... Very true, Ian. Do you know any place that I can take some fundamental course about getting a good scope, astronomy and astrophotography?
    hello Amigo.. well perhaps joining a local club would be good? btw there's a local astro forum online in yahoo groups, search "singastro".. otherwise there's always their web at http://www.singastro.org
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

  19. #19

    Default



    Australia can do that .... singapore cannot ..... area too bright ..... telescope too expensive ......
    Last edited by blurblock; 16th December 2003 at 09:05 PM.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blurblock


    Australia can do that .... singapore cannot ..... area too bright ..... telescope too expensive ......
    Prices here are double that of the USA.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •