Thread: Need Help with HDR Tonemapping

Default Need Help with HDR Tonemapping

Newbie here looking for tips on how to reduce haloing when doing tonemapping.

I've been having a hell lot of problems with halos. I understand that halos always show up at regions where there is sharp change in tone, like a very bright area next to a very dark area.

Like this image for example, the region above the lamp on the upper left and around the two boards on either side of the door. In the tonemapped image on the left i've managed to control the halos somewhat, but had to reduce tone mapping in those areas, making it look soft.

Any tips on how to overcome this? Or anyone knows how programs like Photomatix do it?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Need Help with HDR Tonemapping

i am not sure what you are doing here.

why are you using hdr in that picture? there is enough DR there, you could do the SAME THING by burning or using layers, etc, to reduce exposure on that part of the image.

Default Re: Need Help with HDR Tonemapping

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i am not sure what you are doing here.

why are you using hdr in that picture? there is enough DR there, you could do the SAME THING by burning or using layers, etc, to reduce exposure on that part of the image.
    The image is not hdr. It is tone mapped from a single image. I'm writing a program to do hdr, and this is a test of the tone mapping module. So i'm taking a shotcut, using just a single image with enough dynamic range for this test.

The areas above the notice boards, if you look closely, is a little murky. This is the result of selectively reducing tone mapping there to reduce haloing. Anyone knows a better method to handle this?