Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seletar Camp memories

Default Re: Seletar Camp memories

During NS, I was there at the Sch of Many Papayas, also known as the Sch of Manpower, with the fork, knife and spoon insignia, where I learnt the hard way to type with the extra HD Olivetti typewriter. Really need finger exercise to move that solid steel machine. And together with those pdf women.

And we took those Bedford and IH 3 tonners to and from the camp. It was SOP that we climbed up the 3tonner before the girls and then, they would alight after us, to have their modesty intact.

Went back there years later as a reservist in the 9th Div. IPPT, recalls, etc.

And then, also ever played a round of golf at the tiny course. That is about the easiest course around, being flat, extremely flat, almost like the runway next to it. And the standing order there was not to hit when you see a plane in the air....
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......

is seletar camp still accessible or has it been shut for 'whatever' the govt is gonna do?

Here's a very interesting blog on jalan kayu and seletar camp.
    http://jalankayutrail.blogspot.com/
    HX300/ EPL6/ EOS60D/ 17-55mmF2.8IS/ 100mmF2.8Macro/ 135mmF2L/ 70-200mmF4LIS/ 300mmF4LIS

Quote Originally Posted by Patti View Post
    I am very old, I was born in 1947, so when we went to Singapore I was only 7years old.

I dont remember any orphanage being in Seletar, maybe that came after we left.

I have scanned an old piccy of myself and our maid , (they were called amahs I believe) taken in 1955 at the back of the bungalow. I do have others taken at the front but dont have the time to search for them at present. I will do this when I come back home though if anyones interested.

Ah....icic....

well yep maybe not really called an orphanage...but it was called a "boy's home" or something liddat.....and my parents insisted that if i misbehave, they'll literally throw me across the fence ......... so i always remembered it as a terrible place......which was kinda wierd coz i do play with some of the boys across the fence during their "recess" times.

OOOOhhhh, I'd love to see these old photos.......nostalgic!!!!

Smile Re: Seletar Camp memories

i was at the school in late 70's. there was one WO2 (like chief trainer) who called all trainees 'baboons'. he is now a grassroot leader in sembawang grc.

Quote Originally Posted by La Fontaine View Post
    During NS, I was there at the Sch of Many Papayas, also known as the Sch of Manpower, with the fork, knife and spoon insignia, where I learnt the hard way to type with the extra HD Olivetti typewriter. Really need finger exercise to move that solid steel machine. And together with those pdf women.

And we took those Bedford and IH 3 tonners to and from the camp. It was SOP that we climbed up the 3tonner before the girls and then, they would alight after us, to have their modesty intact.

Went back there years later as a reservist in the 9th Div. IPPT, recalls, etc.

And then, also ever played a round of golf at the tiny course. That is about the easiest course around, being flat, extremely flat, almost like the runway next to it. And the standing order there was not to hit when you see a plane in the air....

Patti PM-ed you!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123