Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seletar Camp memories

Default Re: Seletar Camp memories

That really brings back memories. I was a mass boy at the SOT for some time before I started the driving course.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Smile Re: Seletar Camp memories

me at school of manpower trg. late 70's. then, at retc, next to 35sce.

Piccadilly Circus, remember ?

i miss jogging the slopes of Battersea road

I did my YFC, 1st Guard & RSAF pilot trainee days there in the 80-90s.

We used to do low 500ft flying around there & it was really nice plus the Johor straits & islands.

Finally went there few years ago to draw POL for my reservist unit & while doing that, we plucked buckets of red blooded rambutans for ourselves.

Went back there recently & a lot of changes indeed. Many work going on but I didn't visit YFC. The RSAF school was closed & abandoned years ago as well. The airfield has naturally been fenced & security beefed up as well. Got to love those old cement lamposts & I hope they'll keep some of those intact!
    "Like Moths, photographers gather at the sight of light" Robert Doisneau
    My Little Port

i will post a pic of it taken in jan 09. it was and still is a sealed road then.

Quote Originally Posted by rennylui View Post
    i miss jogging the slopes of Battersea road

battersea road, sealed. i wonder why?

Last edited by sbs99; 4th October 2009 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    battersea road, sealed. i wonder why?

IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/reachme2003/Miscellaneous/DSC_2362.jpg[/IMG]
    yup..

when i went there in 07, i can't even recognised the place..

the serenity of the vast grassland is gone. i think i have the earliest memory of east camp so far.

There are a lot of changes when I drove past. The serenity of the place has been replaced by massive contruction sites and roads were also diverted. Bungalows were being demolished as mentioned by other bro, to make way for aeronautical industries. The airport is sill there though but with more security and now has private civillian planes utilising it. East camp area where the combat engineers are still restricted with a guard room so cannot go in. Seletar country club also shifted further in towards the west camp area. Not much nostalgia left in the place....

How very sad, I lived in Regent street as a child, my father was in the RAF.

I am going back for 4 days on my way to Oz, next week and was so looking forward to looking up my old home.

Seems like its out of bounds now
    Flavour your words with care, you may have to eat them

Quote Originally Posted by Patti View Post
    How very sad, I lived in Regent street as a child, my father was in the RAF.

I am going back for 4 days on my way to Oz, next week and was so looking forward to looking up my old home.

Seems like its out of bounds now

:O

which number?!

i used to stay in 50 Regent street...and like what i mentioned b4, previously directly opposite my house, there was an orphanage!

any idea what happen to Seletar Camp during WW2 ? did the Japs make it into an airbase ?

I lived in No: 22, it was a bungalow.

No idea about WW2, we didnt go to Singapore until 1954.

Does anyone know how far it is to Seletar from Orchard Road. And which would be the best option to get there as a tourist? (bus/train/taxi)

Quote Originally Posted by Patti View Post
    I lived in No: 22, it was a bungalow.

oooohhhh so u were one of those lucky ones who lived deeper and nearer to the airbase (in a sense).

50 Regent street was directly opposite the orphanage and it was a semi detached old colonial bungalow (i think). These old buildings were much cheaper in yesteryears!

I'm not sure which "era" you were born, but when i lived in there, everybody had to hand over IC to "visit" the camp, unless u were a resident, and like i mentioned in the first post, there was an SBS bus depot just outside the camp. and next to the church on the opposite side, right at the corner of the road was the then famous Roti prata shop (b4 the numerous times of shifting later on).

i knew #163 then and IIRC, #103 were "docked" there too at the bus depot.

I used to dread the Jalan Kayu road drive in...coz of the pig farms nearby.....with the repulsive sai stench!

Sorry double post, the board was very slow for me, so clicked twice. Could a mod delete this please. Thanx.
    Last edited by Patti; 30th October 2009 at 05:24 PM.

I am very old, I was born in 1947, so when we went to Singapore I was only 7years old.

I dont remember any orphanage being in Seletar, maybe that came after we left.

I have scanned an old piccy of myself and our maid , (they were called amahs I believe) taken in 1955 at the back of the bungalow. I do have others taken at the front but dont have the time to search for them at present. I will do this when I come back home though if anyones interested.

My aunt used to stay there but the goverment has requested some of the owners to leave to make way for a construction early this year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast