Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for polytechnic tutorial.

Default Re: Ideas for polytechnic tutorial.

Here's another tip:

It starts with getting a story:

A boy
    And a girl
    And a game.

Sorry to say, some of the replies here can be very intimidating and unhelpful to a newbie. Just for the intention of increasing their postcount perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by wholume View Post
    I am Poly student that needs idea for a photo tutorial. The work is to make a photo essay! i totally have no idea how to do! help!
    You might wanna start first by learning how to ask a 'meaningful' question

How are we supposed to even help you if you're not even giving us any details?

Quote Originally Posted by bruce lee View Post
    Sorry to say, some of the replies here can be very intimidating and unhelpful to a newbie. Just for the intention of increasing their postcount perhaps.
    The crux of the matter is that one should be doing one's work individually, if it is an individual assignment!

He is not asking for just some aid in execution or planning or whatever. He is essentially asking for inspiration, idea, developed idea, planning, execution, from whatever limited meaning I can draw from the original post. Might as well hire one of the photogs here to do it right?

+ 1 post count for you on your unhelpful comment, and +1 for my unhelpful reply too

Actually, the very first reply TS recieved already answered his question

OK, let's get serious.

Ask me to write I don't know but here is one good direct info. *Pls go thru the link at the bottom of the webpage as they have examples. I presume the school would have set the format of the write up.

http://digital-photography-school.co...oto-essay-tips

Well I am not sure if TS can ask permission from the photorgraphers in the various photo gallery section for him to can use them as reference for this work. My choice will be streets and candids or A day a project section or Travel.

Straits Time newpaper "7:45am" are ideas for essay.

Macros (like insects) are not good but abstract are possible.

Here is one good introduction site.

http://www.collectivelens.com/blog/2...c-essay-topic/

http://www.collectivelens.com/blog/2...c-essay-topic/

Identify a Theme. Choose between storyboard a series of photos or simply topic based. There is no right or wrong view, it is what you want to capture and how you see it that counts and express. E.g storyboard "Old and New" or simply topic "courtesy", using static pictures and not movies. The sequence do not need to be in close period; e.g using 10pics to tell the entire event of SIN F1.
    You can be creative with text or write in simple words but always remember not to tell too much, leave the picture to tell the story but leave bread crumps along the way.

E.g "Reunion for the living as well as the dead", portrays a particular photo at Qing Ming; mount vernon or cemetary with people praying. I did not use "a day" because the main point is not Qing Ming day but the reunion. So my imagined picture, reunion passes on from generation and both living elder and childrens joins in the period, where death does not mean to be forgotten.

Imagine doing a powerpoint presentation mode. Each image must use the least speech to get an understanding. In normal PPT, we talk more than the picture tell which is the reverse of photo essay. The photo speak for itself, so you must capture the image with the planned intention. First picture is important as it tells the topic.

I assume the school will require students to write an abstract, review and self appraisal for the lecturer to mark easier. So assuming I am doing reunion of the living and death, my self- appraisal would be the areas why I felt important in the topic and practical with supporting facts as well as good and bad on my paper.

The collective lens blog has a Photo Essay section too.

Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    Plagiarism. Zero marks for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by sidloojl View Post
    cannot get caught mah..haha
    It can be detected if the school put the essay thru a plagiarism check.

More than 70% plagiarism, say bye bye to your marks.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanG View Post
    It can be detected if the school put the essay thru a plagiarism check.

More than 70% plagiarism, say bye bye to your marks.
    So lenient meh? I thought once you have a case of plagiarism, your marks are on the line already. At least, that's Ngee Ann Poly's stance.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    So lenient meh? I thought once you have a case of plagiarism, your marks are on the line already. At least, that's Ngee Ann Poly's stance.
    That's a tough stand, but reasonable. Best case is that somebody just forget to insert the source of a quotation. Can happen, but should not happen more than once, twice. Otherwise it becomes obvious that the author either a) has no clue about proper use of quotations in scientific work or b) intends to cheat.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    That's a tough stand, but reasonable. Best case is that somebody just forget to insert the source of a quotation. Can happen, but should not happen more than once, twice. Otherwise it becomes obvious that the author either a) has no clue about proper use of quotations in scientific work or b) intends to cheat.
    From my limited understanding of NP's system, every instance of plagiarism (even those with relevant in-text citations and references at the appendix) is called up and the lecturer than has to assess each one on a case-by-case basis.

So it is not complete reliance on technology.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    From my limited understanding of NP's system, every instance of plagiarism (even those with relevant in-text citations and references at the appendix) is called up and the lecturer than has to assess each one on a case-by-case basis.

So it is not complete reliance on technology.
    As far as I know, citations with proper source / reference in appendix are not plagiarism.
    But of course, for certain types of work / home work it could be that NP applies a "No citation" rule in order to check the creativity and skills of the students.

Thanks everyone for the replies! A few replies was of great help. And for some that ask me to give a more specific qn, its quite hard for me to give a better qn because the only reason why i would post here is because all i know is that its a photo essay assignment. once again, thanks everyone for their kind help.

Thanks everyone for the replies! A few replies was of great help. And for some that ask me to give a more specific qn, its quite hard for me to give a better qn because the only reason why i would post here is because all i know is that its a photo essay assignment. once again, thanks everyone for their kind help.
    To clarify, you are not sure what a photo essay is? Or what it should be about?

Blog Entries

i believe that the TS should do his own homework

but here is the first step

what is a photo essay

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photo_essay

next is to select a theme or story you want to tell in your photo essay
    then go out and shoot shoot shoot

ditto for you!

how have you helped?

but your post count has increased by one!!! and mine has increased by one.

actually, i'm helping you! soon you can increase by another one since you might reply to this post, etc!

Hee Hee,I am a secondary student,did a project to advertise Xbox.Needed to do a photoboard(photo essay)got full marks so easy.Displaying on libary!!!!Very easy.Study works from advertistment pictures from pros.I did too and it was the best picture in the whole photoboard

Quote Originally Posted by lamergod View Post
    Hee Hee,I am a secondary student,did a project to advertise Xbox.Needed to do a photoboard(photo essay)got full marks so easy.Displaying on libary!!!!Very easy.Study works from advertistment pictures from pros.I did too and it was the best picture in the whole photoboard
    Besides trying to tell the whole forum that you are 'smarter' than a polytechinc student, I don't see what other things you're trying to say.

Out of the 6 sentences you wrote, 4 of them are self-praising

Why not you post some pics from your 'full marks' photo essay so TS and the rest of us can learn from it. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by HeiPiGu; 26th July 2009 at 01:46 AM.

i agree. Secondary standard and poly standard is like Heaven and earth.My point of view is that your FULL MARK assignment= our 2/10? So try harder.Checked out your album already anyway. So which part are you better? The always blurred image? That you really win me.

Now now. I don't want to sound preaching but in any research project, one must be able to separate the noise from the information. When reading web information, always sort out the information only and use the noise as a derivative view of the writer.

The internet is full of information and the reason why people is able gather so much information over a short period is because people post them. Whether good, bad or the reason is secondary but most importantly the information. Every piece of information is vital towards good or bad assessment.

i agree. Secondary standard and poly standard is like Heaven and earth.My point of view is that your FULL MARK assignment= our 2/10? So try harder.Checked out your album already anyway. So which part are you better? The always blurred image? That you really win me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast