Thread: Does excessive formatting shorten life of flash memory cards?

Default Does excessive formatting shorten life of flash memory cards?

Does excessive formatting shorten life of flash memory cards?

I always format my CF everytime before shoots... And also formats them even after I only took 1 pic. & does this quite often...

Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Does excessive formatting shorten life of flash memory cards?

I always format my CF everytime before shoots... And also formats them even after I only took 1 pic. & does this quite often...

Thanks..
    In practical terms NO as most cards are good for tens of thousands of formats (the better cards are good for 100,000+ reformats from memory)...
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    In practical terms NO as most cards are good for tens of thousands of formats (the better cards are good for 100,000+ reformats from memory)...
    That is manufacturer or theoretical rating. In practice is it really tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands?

If my experience with CD-RWs is any indication, theoretically CD-RWs can be rewritten 1,000 times. In actual practice, I find that the CD-RW can last FAR FAR fewer than 1,000 rewrites - in my case ranging from 5-20 rewrites before the CR-RW goes kaput

For that reason, I never buy CD-RWs

Deregistered

sounds hilarious, how does an electronic storage device go kaput like that?

hard disks and microdrives are physical based storage - i'll contend they'll die earlier by wear and tear. but how often does one think about how many read/write cycles your computer's RAM has gone through and whether it'll die?

Quote Originally Posted by goering
    That is manufacturer or theoretical rating. In practice is it really tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands?

If my experience with CD-RWs is any indication, theoretically CD-RWs can be rewritten 1,000 times. In actual practice, I find that the CD-RW can last FAR FAR fewer than 1,000 rewrites - in my case ranging from 5-20 rewrites before the CR-RW goes kaput

For that reason, I never buy CD-RWs
    I know several photographers who are well over 2000 reformats on their CF cards.

Your point is also moot, as CDRW's have nothing to do with the topic under discussion.

Ian
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

what i am trying to say is that manufacturer's ratings are often far less than in actual use

however, since you said that you know several photographers who have well over 2000 reformats on their CF cards, then that is reassuring ..