Thread: Turning pink

Default Turning pink

Bought 2 boxes of silica gel. Put 1 in a bag wif my camera, it turned pink the next day! Whoa! Is this normal? I tried the other box, same result. How long does the gel normally last? Thinking of buying a big bottle but afraid it end up the same. Not using a drybox, just put entire bag in drawer.

They turned pink fast in Singapore's humid weather.

woah! that's fast. i bought mine a month and a half ago and it's still bold blue.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by arikevin
    woah! that's fast. i bought mine a month and a half ago and it's still bold blue.
    god! now i am worried *lol* it's either the 2 little boxes of gel i got from MS is of 'super absorbing' quality, or i am living in a fridge :O

hmm ... maybe i'll go ahead & get a bottle to try. i am having a 'thirsty hippo' in the drawer. so far only a little water 'captured'. could be the boxes of gel i got earlier were half-dead.

thanks guys.

mine's ok leh..

takes ard 1 week to be fully pink in my bag, 2 weeks in dry box.

Quote Originally Posted by renegade
    god! now i am worried *lol* it's either the 2 little boxes of gel i got from MS is of 'super absorbing' quality, or i am living in a fridge :O

hmm ... maybe i'll go ahead & get a bottle to try. i am having a 'thirsty hippo' in the drawer. so far only a little water 'captured'. could be the boxes of gel i got earlier were half-dead.

thanks guys.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the silica gel. The gel should be kept in an air-tight environment, in a ziploc bag or a tupperware, can u see it last. It turns pink in a matter of hours when exposed to local humid environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrios
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the silica gel. The gel should be kept in an air-tight environment, in a ziploc bag or a tupperware, can u see it last. It turns pink in a matter of hours when exposed to local humid environment.
    ooohh ... thanks for the info. so storing it in my bag IS the problem. i do not have space for a drybox/cabinet, so just put it in my bag. hmm ... problem ...

Quote Originally Posted by renegade
    ooohh ... thanks for the info. so storing it in my bag IS the problem. i do not have space for a drybox/cabinet, so just put it in my bag. hmm ... problem ...
    A large ziploc bag is a good alternative, especially when u r travelling. The current wet spell is not going to do u any good. Anyway, u can still recycle your boxes of silica gel.

hmmm... just go get a bottle? coz its only $3. Anyway there are ways to recycle the gel, check the net.

Consider investing in a dry cabinet or dry box to store your equipment. They do come in small sizes and won't take up too much space, serious.

Anyway, the purpose of the silica gel is to absorb moisture, so don't put it in an air tight bag and then pop it into ur camera bag, it defeats the purpose yah? What I do is to use those type of plastic bags for vegetables that has already lots of breathing holes to store the gel. Anyway I seldom carry a packet in my bag unless the equipment's going to stay in the camera bag for a few days.

Hope it helpz

Quote Originally Posted by Barrios
    A large ziploc bag is a good alternative, especially when u r travelling. The current wet spell is not going to do u any good. Anyway, u can still recycle your boxes of silica gel.
    I guess I have to clarify my point here. What I meant was to place your silica gel, along with your equipment, in the air-tight bag or container. Obviously, it makes no sense to place the gel in the ziploc bag by itself.