Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GST for imported lens

Default GST for imported lens

i bought a lens online and have it sent here. but was charged GST after paying postage! did any of u encounter this? is there anyway to go around it?

Default Re: GST for imported lens

Anything above S$400 worth of goods sent in are subjected to GST.

If you declared for personal use / no commercial value, and did not buy insurance, you MIGHT be able to get lucky but there are times, one still will have to pay GST BUT then you risk no being able to claim should the package or content gets damage.. so its really up to you to bear the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by happyfrog View Post
    i bought a lens online and have it sent here. but was charged GST after paying postage! did any of u encounter this? is there anyway to go around it?
    You are essentially looking for ways to evade tax on an open forum..... smart.

i was reading up online
    and it says some warehouses are zero GST, a bit confused

No need confuse. You paid already and yes, I confirm you are liable to pay import tax for purchases of goods above SG$400. Actually, the shipping company was the one already made the payment on behalf of you to the government when the item touched down in Singapore, so you were essentially owing them the money which of course payable on delivery.

Anything below SG$400, the shipping company will absorb and pay to the government for you. FYI, I've bought 4 camera equipment on both Adorama and B&H. It's also a violation in the US and many countries to falsely declare exported parcels so... it's something you can't even ask them to try.

yup what to do... aih... jz got shocked cos its my first time

yup what to do... aih... jz got shocked cos its my first time
    Be happy to live in SG, 7% is still ok. The shock in other countries amounts to 19% or even more ...

have a friend on the other side buy for you and then send. But then the purchase may be subject to VAT. Most of the time pay GST over here is cheaper.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

live with it, like we always do=)

As long the thing you purchase is a "goods", you will be charged with GST (Goods & Service Tax).

Purchased a Canon 580EXii from Amazon and shipped here via Vpost.. ended up the price + GST + shipping is the same as what I can get here for a greyset minus the store warrantry.. haha but it fun waiting 1 mth for it to arrive...

is the same as what I can get here for a greyset minus the store warrantry.
    But you know right, if you get from an authorized dealer like Adorama, B&H, the International Warranty is honored by Canon Singapore. I never really purchased off Amazon as they're more of a middle-man and yes, they search for the best prices around but for period like now where Canon USA is having a rebate program, I'll just go straight to these 2. Unless am missing out on something else..... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    have a friend on the other side buy for you and then send. But then the purchase may be subject to VAT. Most of the time pay GST over here is cheaper.
    Hmm... That's what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by sidloojl View Post
    live with it, like we always do=)
    ya, no choice. have to live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    As long the thing you purchase is a "goods", you will be charged with GST (Goods & Service Tax).
    aihh... the most profitable company = government

Quote Originally Posted by m3lv1nh0 View Post
    Purchased a Canon 580EXii from Amazon and shipped here via Vpost.. ended up the price + GST + shipping is the same as what I can get here for a greyset minus the store warrantry.. haha but it fun waiting 1 mth for it to arrive...
    haih... ya. i think about the same. . the wait is also damn long. but okay la, can save a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by rendition View Post
    But you know right, if you get from an authorized dealer like Adorama, B&H, the International Warranty is honored by Canon Singapore. I never really purchased off Amazon as they're more of a middle-man and yes, they search for the best prices around but for period like now where Canon USA is having a rebate program, I'll just go straight to these 2. Unless am missing out on something else..... lol.
    what about Nikon? I bought it from Adorama.

what about Nikon? I bought it from Adorama.
    No idea dude... Dunno, dun care, cuz I only buy Canon stuff... won't bother if Nikon has rebate programmes or not... LOL. But email them or something lor...

haih... ya. i think about the same. . the wait is also damn long. but okay la, can save a bit.
    Oh, forgot to mention, B&H fastest delivery (on the cheapest service) is 4 working days for my latest purchase. Others took no more than 2 weeks.
    Last edited by rendition; 22nd July 2009 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rendition View Post
    No idea dude... Dunno, dun care, cuz I only buy Canon stuff... won't bother if Nikon has rebate programmes or not... LOL. But email them or something lor...

Oh, forgot to mention, B&H fastest delivery (on the cheapest service) is 4 working days for my latest purchase. Others took no more than 2 weeks.
    hmm... okay, thanks for the info.

took me about a month now... adorama took 3 days to send to my friend in US. friend took 1-2 days to pack up and send to me. took another 2 weeks to fly from US to here. total around 3 weeks, close to a month

i was reading up online
    and it says some warehouses are zero GST, a bit confused
    Zero GST doesn't apply in you case at all. It's for goods imported into Singapore but not meant for local market/ consumption. These goods will have their GST 'suspended' cause they will be re-exported out.

The Customs will charge GST according to shipping invoice value. If you have a fren in US who can buy the lens for you and then sent to you as gift, that one different story liao.

Quote Originally Posted by HeiPiGu View Post
    Zero GST doesn't apply in you case at all. It's for goods imported into Singapore but not meant for local market/ consumption. These goods will have their GST 'suspended' cause they will be re-exported out.

The Customs will charge GST according to shipping invoice value. If you have a fren in US who can buy the lens for you and then sent to you as gift, that one different story liao.
    Won't "gifts" over a certain value, have the potential to be charged duty?

nice, so just send everything as gifts and no GST?! wow

Nah, if you buy from authorized distributors, you can't escape. You can't even put it as 'gift', unless you're sending to a US address.

These gifts thingy, repaired item, under declaration of value etc is just very eBay... I mean usually practiced (illegally) in eBay only.

Quote Originally Posted by sidloojl View Post
    nice, so just send everything as gifts and no GST?! wow
    Yea, glad you learn something new today

It's not just about stating the item as gift...but being able to declare you own value for that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast