Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ok to store ur camera in a air tight container?

Default Re: Ok to store ur camera in a air tight container?

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    not to flame you. in the long run, your way is more ex.

spent $105 on a dry cabinet, gets you a 5 year warranty.

During these 5 years, how much you going to spent on thirsty hippo and the hassle of maintaining the consistently?
    So far over 3 mths, dont see any water in the thirsty hippo. so not sure how long it will last. will monitor replacement date to see how much.

Another thing is, me using LX3. so a 30L dry cab seems too big for this purpose until i upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholaslsa View Post
    So far over 3 mths, dont see any water in the thirsty hippo. so not sure how long it will last. will monitor replacement date to see how much.

Another thing is, me using LX3. so a 30L dry cab seems too big for this purpose until i upgrade.
    icic, then different for you... cos LX3 is quite compact in size. But for those DSLR cam size... plus lens, everything into dry box also squeezy.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholaslsa View Post
    Guys dont flame me for posting this..

I'm using a lock & lock as a dry box with thirsty hippo. I did not tear the thirsty hippo aluminum paper on top fully as it can be used to control the absorbtion rate. Just need to find a gd Hygrometer and play ard with the opening of the aluminum paper.

Managed to get 40 to 45% consistantly...
    That is the most important part! If you feel ok with that solution so be it. It shows you understood what is relevant: controlled conditions. But for many newbies who are struggling to understand the basics it would be too much and they are better off with a dry cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    But for many newbies who are struggling to understand the basics it would be too much and they are better off with a dry cabinet.
    i dun think this had anything to do with newbies. but rather how hardworking you are. its not rocket science to maintain a humidity level, u just need a meter to measure for u and do constant checks.

but how hardworking u are to maintain is another problem. Cos usually first few weeks, sure very on. but later sure boh chup. thats human nature.

i dun think this had anything to do with newbies. but rather how hardworking you are. its not rocket science to maintain a humidity level, u just need a meter to measure for u and do constant checks.

but how hardworking u are to maintain is another problem. Cos usually first few weeks, sure very on. but later sure boh chup. thats human nature.
    Yes, this i agree.. must be more hardworking to use a dry box then dry cab. need to check regularly to make sure that the thirsty hippo is not absorbing too much or too little.

everyday come back from work will take a look at the reading. just make sure u dont tear the whole aluminum paper out.

if u want to save some money and in the end your new camera get fungus its your choice, afterall, you already spent so much on a camera why want to save that $105 (price based from paris silk) on a dry cabinet?

Tight container doesn't means safe, it means moisture are trapped.

Yes you may want to use thirsty hippo, but i had read that it's really thirsty and it can dry up the oils in your lens (depending on the size of your container, the smaller means more drier and if box is big, may not achieve the dry level).

How about using silica gels? wat if you forget to change? I am sure you will, cos soon you will heck care.

Dun risk lah, just get a basic entry dry cabinet.
    Not everybody can afford/thinks that way

Quote Originally Posted by 3in1c View Post
    Work within your budget and let not photography be a burden. Importantly, shoot more keeps the fungus away.
    Most correctly, dont let photography be a burden for you.
    We are just student. Not working adults.
    Have faith in yourself, do your own decision. Save to get one? Or shoot more now, just for me, to prevent fungus growing!

Cheers&Tc

Quote Originally Posted by LomoPhotographer View Post
    Not everybody can afford/thinks that way

Most correctly, dont let photography be a burden for you.
    We are just student. Not working adults.
    Have faith in yourself, do your own decision. Save to get one? Or shoot more now, just for me, to prevent fungus growing!

Cheers&Tc
    like i say... its not very expensive for a basic entry dry cabinet.

if can afford a DSLR why scrimp on a $105 dry cabinet?

those accessories can wait till got money, no hurry. But protection is more important.

and u can't escape the fact u want to buy a dry cabinet.

cost of drybox + thirsty hippo + effort = not worth, cos in the end u still got to buy a dry cabinet. haha so why not spent those money buying a drybox and thirsty hippo, top up and get a dry cabinet instead.
    Last edited by sinned79; 23rd July 2009 at 01:04 AM.

those accessories can wait till got money, no hurry. But protection is more important.

cost of drybox + thirsty hippo + effort = not worth, cos in the end u still got to buy a dry cabinet. haha so why not spent those money buying a drybox and thirsty hippo, top up and get a dry cabinet instead.
    hahaha. that is very true. you can say all you want but dry cabinet is the easiest way to protect you gear, it is simply the best. but i get what you guys mean, budget comes in play, whether or not it is a small fraction of the camera or not..oh well, start saving then!

A 30L digicab 2nd hand cost only $35...it's almost the cost of uv filters.

Usually after u open ur dry cabinet, how long does it take to return to correct humidity level? Cos i tends to use my cam everyay. If i open 3 times a day, means it wont have sufficient time to regulate e humidity??

Quote Originally Posted by badtzdiana View Post
    Usually after u open ur dry cabinet, how long does it take to return to correct humidity level? Cos i tends to use my cam everyay. If i open 3 times a day, means it wont have sufficient time to regulate e humidity??
    if i am not mistaken, basic entry dry cabinets takes longer to return to the adjusted level.

if u tends to open your dry cabinet often, if possible once you take out whatever you need, quickly close it, dun leave it open for too long or wait till you going to put back then close.

if i am not mistaken, basic entry dry cabinets takes longer to return to the adjusted level.

if u tends to open your dry cabinet often, if possible once you take out whatever you need, quickly close it, dun leave it open for too long or wait till you going to put back then close.
    Fren, urs is e Digi Cabi 30L u intro me tat day rite?? How long does it take to return to correct level??

What is the reason? For a break between 2 shootings there's no need to run bringing the cam into the dry cabinet. Usage outside is the best way to keep fungus away - it simply can't stand fresh air and sunlight The purpose of a dry cabinet is storage over longer period (when not in use).

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    What is the reason? For a break between 2 shootings there's no need to run bringing the cam into the dry cabinet. Usage outside is the best way to keep fungus away - it simply can't stand fresh air and sunlight The purpose of a dry cabinet is storage over longer period (when not in use).
    haha many reasons, some times to load pix to laptop, then c nice skyview n take sm shots.. sometimes kids very funny take few shots n such..
    So if i were to use my cam so often, it wont really have chance to grow fungus??
    Will i still benefit from using a dry cabinet??
    Currently Im using a Lock N Lock plastic box with i whole bottle of silicon gel loaded, is it too much?? But cam only gets few hrs time in box..

Sorry for "gate-crashing", but I think my question may be relevant.
    What about Pelican cases? I don't use dry cabinet. I use the Pelican case, it is air-tight and I put a bit of silica gel and wrap it in tissue paper and put it into the case.

Anyone here uses Pelican case? Any problem?
    Canon 40D|EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS|70-200mm L f/4 IS|50&85mm f/1.8|EFS 10-22 f/3.5-4.5|580 EXII

Quote Originally Posted by santaclaus2100 View Post
    Sorry for "gate-crashing", but I think my question may be relevant.
    What about Pelican cases? I don't use dry cabinet. I use the Pelican case, it is air-tight and I put a bit of silica gel and wrap it in tissue paper and put it into the case.
    Anyone here uses Pelican case? Any problem?
    The question is not whether a certain brand is useful but rather whether you can achieve controlled storage conditions according the manufacturer's specifications (which can be checked in the manual, chapter "Environmental Conditions"). For this you might want to get a hygrometer (hardware / DIY shops) to get a reliable RH reading. If you can achieve the recommended RH range and you are fine with the necessary efforts for checking and changing Silica gel then there's nothing wrong with using any container like Pelican cases, tupperware or simple Fairprice plastic containers.

So if i were to use my cam so often, it wont really have chance to grow fungus??
    Correct. Usage is the best thing that can happen to your camera.
    Fungus likes: stagnant air, darkness, high humidity, organic material (e.g. sweat, skin particles, dust ..)

Will i still benefit from using a dry cabinet??
    Currently Im using a Lock N Lock plastic box with i whole bottle of silicon gel loaded, is it too much?? But cam only gets few hrs time in box..
    A dry cabinet helps to keep all gear neat and tidy at one place. If you like you can also put in flash (remove batteries, so you don't forget to charge them) and other items that don't really need controlled humidity (filter rings, adapters, flash diffuser, other bits and pieces).
    I don't use Silica gel, can't say how much is needed. Get a hygrometer and play with the amount of silica gel in the box till you reach target range (~50% RH).

Quote Originally Posted by sidloojl View Post
    hahaha. that is very true. you can say all you want but dry cabinet is the easiest way to protect you gear, it is simply the best. but i get what you guys mean, budget comes in play, whether or not it is a small fraction of the camera or not..oh well, start saving then!

Quite correct also la, not i dont agree.
    But really need money then can buy. I also want to buy.
    But then again house no space liao. So small, put 1 more cabinet, cui..

Fren, urs is e Digi Cabi 30L u intro me tat day rite?? How long does it take to return to correct level??
    ohhh... when i first bought the cabinet, it took me 4-5 hours to reach the humidity level and became constant when i use it for the first time... then after that pretty fast... about 1-2 hours. but i guess cos i dun have much things stored in the dry cabinet so its faster? i think it will be slower if u are storing a lot of equipments.

ohhh... when i first bought the cabinet, it took me 4-5 hours to reach the humidity level and became constant when i use it for the first time... then after that pretty fast... about 1-2 hours. but i guess cos i dun have much things stored in the dry cabinet so its faster? i think it will be slower if u are storing a lot of equipments.
    1-2hrs is faster than i thought..
    so u going e pdt training later hor?? cya tonite..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast