Thread: Photographer rates

Default Photographer rates

Hey guys, not sure if this is appropriate but here goes.

The company that my dad works for just finished the construction of an office building recently. Thus, they got their company photographer to take shots of the finished product(architectural interior and exterior), along with some group shots of the staff. Apparently I heard that the groups were about 50-60 in strength each yet the photographer didn't use even a single strobe for the shots. In total he spent about less than 6 hours with the building and group shots.

At the end of the day, he was paid 6k. Well what I would like to know from the professionals in this line, was his pay on the high side? Will upload some sample photos as soon as I get them. I heard that some photographers had offered 2k-3k but were rejected in view of the "long-term"(ok la 1-2 years) relationship that the photographer has with the company.
    Last edited by Cartman2000; 21st July 2009 at 12:52 AM.

Default Re: Photographer rates

Price is subjective. Its a free market. I'd prefer to look at his work before making the judgement.

you have to consider the media usage of the pictures as well. but anyway, i'd like to see the pictures too!

Is $15K too high for AD wedding shoot? Well that is what some photographer is charging.

I wonder what is the root cause for this question.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

A professional makes picture taking look easy....
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

Most important is the results the photos provides. Especially when it's use in the media. A good photo will help to bring certain results.

Professional services is subjective in price, no matter in which industry u r in. Either in Music, Law, Photography, Coaching, etc. Most important is the results it gives.

It's a free market. there's no standard rate in this industry. If the client is comfortable with the rates, then it's ok!

but on a personal view, rates by service provider can be subjective... very hard to determine if he's worth 6k w/o sample pic
    Playing with M43.

Everybody has a different yardstick for pricing, hence its not worth debating. In fact personally, the pictures help me better measure where I need to improve.

No reason, just a casual question. Will put up pics when I get them.

Dude how and what a photog uses especially a pro in the line is not really important - what is important is the deliverables. The fact that they have been using the same person for 1.5 to 2 years is in itself very telling.

Having a camera even a good camera does not mean you will be able to bring in good pictures. This is one of the points that seperates those of us who are professionals for those who are hobbist.

Dude how and what a photog uses especially a pro in the line is not really important - what is important is the deliverables. The fact that they have been using the same person for 1.5 to 2 years is in itself very telling.

Having a camera even a good camera does not mean you will be able to bring in good pictures. This is one of the points that seperates those of us who are professionals for those who are hobbist.
    Note that I wasn't even making specific reference to the camera he used, nor was I criticising the camera. Where'd you get this idea from?

I will not comment on his ability any further until I've gotten the shots.
    Last edited by Cartman2000; 21st July 2009 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    Note that I wasn't even making specific reference to the camera he used, nor was I criticising the camera. Where'd you get this idea from?

I will not comment on his ability any further until I've gotten the shots.
    You mentioned he did not even use a single strobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    Hey guys, not sure if this is appropriate but here goes.

The company that my dad works for just finished the construction of an office building recently. Thus, they got their company photographer to take shots of the finished product(architectural interior and exterior), along with some group shots of the staff. Apparently I heard that the groups were about 50-60 in strength each yet the photographer didn't use even a single strobe for the shots. In total he spent about less than 6 hours with the building and group shots.

At the end of the day, he was paid 6k. Well what I would like to know from the professionals in this line, was his pay on the high side? Will upload some sample photos as soon as I get them. I heard that some photographers had offered 2k-3k but were rejected in view of the "long-term"(ok la 1-2 years) relationship that the photographer has with the company.
    your tone was rather "envious and jealous". It's ok. But what we are telling you is, you have no basis to judge.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

well..
    hopefully u have the right to post the photos here

The rates are pretty standard for corporate shoots. I would charge 3-4K per day for a day's shoot but in this case, there's interior/exterior shots + group shot as well so 6K is justifiable.

Willing buyer, willing seller.

No need to be envious.

Quote Originally Posted by astroboy View Post
    The rates are pretty standard for corporate shoots. I would charge 3-4K per day for a day's shoot but in this case, there's interior/exterior shots + group shot as well so 6K is justifiable.

Willing buyer, willing seller.

No need to be envious.
    I'm not being envious here

Ok looks like the photos can't get here. Not able to reach the photographer for permission to do so, thus will close this thread. Thanks to all who have commented. Supply = Demand