Thread: planning to buy a new lens.

Default planning to buy a new lens.

hello guys! got another question for you.

I'm planning on acquiring a new lens, but got confused by the selection available.

first up my equipment:

Nikon d50, 50mm f1.8, 17-55mm (kit lens), and a 70-300mm 1:4-5.6G lens, I also have a set on extension tubes.

My interest:

Portrait/Candids, Macro/Close-ups, hoping to go into a bit of journalistic type shots too.

My problem:

Been surfing around for a good choice to invest in, found stuff like the <<TAMRON 28-200mm F3.5-5.6 DG MACRO>>, SIGMA 105mm f2.8 MACRO lens, etc. I know they are different functionally. But according to my interests, would it be wiser to to focus on a 28-200mm rather than on a dedicated macro lens? I'm confused because i read that these lenses can function on both ways. i.e. macro lens can do portraits and the 28-200 can do macro.

Also is it correct for me to assume that a dedicated macro lens has a further working distance than if I were to attach other lenses to extension tubes?

I also have a limited budget, as i am planning to visit china to photograph the scenes during autumn. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can suggest a lens for a tight pocket.

Default Re: planning to buy a new lens.

Really depend on yourself. Some people would suggest that you get an adapter ring to reverse mount your 50mm onto your kit lens while others would suggest that you get a dedicated macro lens. What picture quality do you want? Usually reverse mount will have a very shallow DOF.

If you get a reverse mount adapter, you will have money to get the Tamron lens and still get to enjoy Macro but if you were to get the Sigma 105mm lens, you can get nicer portraits and macro pictures.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

journalist? then you might want a 18-200 instead and learn how to quickdraw your camera.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Really depend on yourself. Some people would suggest that you get an adapter ring to reverse mount your 50mm onto your kit lens while others would suggest that you get a dedicated macro lens. What picture quality do you want? Usually reverse mount will have a very shallow DOF.

If you get a reverse mount adapter, you will have money to get the Tamron lens and still get to enjoy Macro but if you were to get the Sigma 105mm lens, you can get nicer portraits and macro pictures.
    thanks for the advice! but if i were to go with the sigma, it would be limited to just those 2 fields(portrait and macro) right ? but with the tamron, will i be able to cover different schools of photography?

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    journalist? then you might want a 18-200 instead and learn how to quickdraw your camera.
    Thanks for the info ! and that sounds like a cowboy movie.