Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Need Help in Fixing Titanium Spec Frame

  1. #1

    Unhappy Need Help in Fixing Titanium Spec Frame

    Hi Guys,

    I just broke the hinge (joint) of my spectacle frame. As I had wore it for over 10 years, is my sentimental piece and could not find any similar ones in the shops for replacement.

    May I know where I can get it soldered or joint back? The frame is made of titanium.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Need Help in Fixing Titanium Spec Frame

    Had a similar problem. You cannot solder it back. Time to buy another... sorry
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

  3. #3

    Smile Re: Need Help in Fixing Titanium Spec Frame

    hi, how did you manage to wear it for over 10 years? I am wearing a titanium frame for about 6 years. the condition is ok, but the plastic ends of the legs are showing signs of corrosion. corrosions on the metal part is less. i did considered changing the lens and
    retain the frame, but the conditions on specific parts of the frame has made me think otherwise. solder it together? do not know about it. good day.

    Quote Originally Posted by StarAlliance View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I just broke the hinge (joint) of my spectacle frame. As I had wore it for over 10 years, is my sentimental piece and could not find any similar ones in the shops for replacement.

    May I know where I can get it soldered or joint back? The frame is made of titanium.

  4. #4
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Need Help in Fixing Titanium Spec Frame

    It is possible to solder back yourself, but the joint will of course, not look as good as your original (cos we don't have plating or painting capabilties).

    As coincidence would have it, I am wearing a soldered set right now; mine broke on Sunday after the joint was weakened through repeated wear. The soldered joint is strong enough for wearing until I get my replacement. Hence, those who said cannot solder probably didnt' know how to do it correctly. There is also a small possibility that my frame is not titanium and titanium does not stick well to solder (although I doubt its the material; and more the technique).

    The original frame is soldered and then painted/plated anyway, so I don't understand why ppel say cannot be soldered.

    If you want the spectacles to be fully restored (ie soldered and still look like original), then you need to send in to specialists. There are some in the United States who fix broken spectacles which I found out recently as well; although you need to ship it to them and back and forth.
    Last edited by vince123123; 20th July 2009 at 10:00 AM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Need Help in Fixing Titanium Spec Frame

    i doubt you can solder titanium. do google..

  6. #6

    Default Re: Need Help in Fixing Titanium Spec Frame

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    It is possible to solder back yourself, but the joint will of course, not look as good as your original (cos we don't have plating or painting capabilties).

    As coincidence would have it, I am wearing a soldered set right now; mine broke on Sunday after the joint was weakened through repeated wear. The soldered joint is strong enough for wearing until I get my replacement. Hence, those who said cannot solder probably didnt' know how to do it correctly. There is also a small possibility that my frame is not titanium and titanium does not stick well to solder (although I doubt its the material; and more the technique).

    The original frame is soldered and then painted/plated anyway, so I don't understand why ppel say cannot be soldered.

    If you want the spectacles to be fully restored (ie soldered and still look like original), then you need to send in to specialists. There are some in the United States who fix broken spectacles which I found out recently as well; although you need to ship it to them and back and forth.
    sorry, i do not think you can solder titanium. I do not think you can do anything much to titanium.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Need Help in Fixing Titanium Spec Frame

    Depending on design, the frame might be titanium but the joints could be of a softer material which would get corroded and prone to wear and tear.

    I had a pair which lasted more than 5 years (lost count actually) and one of the joint gave way due to wear and tear.

    An alternative would be to repair use epoxy putty which you can get from places like Home Fix.

    E.g. http://www.selleys.com.au/Selleys-Kn...e/default.aspx

    Meanwhile, check out a pair of Nikon Avanti Titanium !

  8. #8
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Need Help in Fixing Titanium Spec Frame

    Yea, if pure titanium probably cannot lor. If coated with some other metal maybe can

    Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain View Post
    sorry, i do not think you can solder titanium. I do not think you can do anything much to titanium.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Need Help in Fixing Titanium Spec Frame

    Titanum are strongly corrosion resistace.Hence, their application as biomaterial in the human body.
    The joints cannot be titanum,probally some aluminum alloy.
    You cannot solder titanum.The melting point exceeds the temperature of a soldering pen.

  10. #10
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Need Help in Fixing Titanium Spec Frame

    Uhm, when you solder steel or other solderable metals/alloys, the melting point is also above that of a soldering pen. You don't actually melt the metal when you solder; only the solder itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Giorgio View Post
    Titanum are strongly corrosion resistace.Hence, their application as biomaterial in the human body.
    The joints cannot be titanum,probally some aluminum alloy.
    You cannot solder titanum.The melting point exceeds the temperature of a soldering pen.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •