Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How now?

Default Re: How now?

Its already very good that you get money from your cousins - ie very close relatives.

I took the weddings for my bro and sis in law. Main PG. Multi-day overseas weddings (in laws are from Indonesia). Got nothing....not even APs. Even the bride's family jie meis all got ang pow.
    I took 4 days leave total, ie 6-8 weekday weddings opportunity gone as I usually take 1/2 day for weekdays.
    And that period i turned down 3 couples who are quite ready to book - loss of over 3k.

But cannot take money, coz my wife will hantum me. Bo bian...

Somemore overseas wedding....imagine i lug 3 cams overseas.... 150+ tables. Heng Singapore don't have.

But now FIL helped my wife and I earn hell lots in the NYSE now from April.
    BIL also shared tips and helped earned a fair bit. Like tonight i no time to monitor LVS/BAC/FAZ as I got a wedding banquet to shoot, they all chip in to monitor, and later into the trading day all no need to sleep..... while I sleep as I have to work tomorrow.
    My own parents want to invest/trade too, my mum asked her big brother to help - "ummm better not lar". LL.
    So in the end my in-laws have to help her. I actually have account, but 20K limit do nuts man.... not that I don't wanna do.

This kind of lobang where to get? Broker also don't provide!

Family cannot kay gao so much lar....you give lobang, people usually will return favour...monetary or otherwise. Imagine if i charged $$$, you think they will be so willing to share their lobangs back now?

Its a pretty crude example, but I hope the point gets across. Family - don't have to count until the last dollar.

If outside friends, or distant relative....of course whack lar....
    Last edited by 2100; 21st July 2009 at 05:51 PM.

Hi all again, thanks for the replies. Sorry for the inactiveness.

Yeap, Ellery - you are right. 70 bucks for 4hrs, 2hrs travelling, post-processing time is definitely not worth it. It is safe to say my pictures do not suck. Sure i do have those rubbish shots at times but it isn't as much as the good ones.

Okay, say i do charge about 80bucks/hr. And they think it is too expensive. They have the option of not using me (so much for family! but yea). They are in events industry, run kindergarten schools, restaurants. So they know how much their photographers cost. I'm not thinking that they pay me little because i'm family. They may be thinking that. But don't they deserve to pay me less because of the "risk" involved in an inexperienced photographer?

As for the external client - like i said above, 70 bucks for 4 hours. He claims he can get a professional for that price??? Is this true guys?

Quote Originally Posted by marco159 View Post

As for the external client - like i said above, 70 bucks for 4 hours. He claims he can get a professional for that price??? Is this true guys?
    as long anyone doing it at full time job, or doing it as part of job scope, are consider professional.

so the aunties taking passport photos for you at the minilab, and those Traffic Marshall station at road side, taking photos of drivers driving into the bus lane during peak hours, are also consider professionals too.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

okay, put the technicalities aside. i understand - anyone that accepts payment for a photography assignment is considered a professional. I guess what i mean to say is he can get a more experienced photographer ?

tt's immposible... if he really can get someone good with his skills, ask him to get that guy instead. The lowest an experienced photographer can go I believe is atleast $100 per event, not $70, I supposed. It's not worth it afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by marco159 View Post
    Maybe he can, maybe he can't. Not everyone is honest in business dealings, and this may be just a negotiation technique.
    He may also be stretching the definition of 'professional', although as stated by others, 'professional' doesn't mean good.
    I wouldn't fold too easily -- if you're good at what you do and good at earning a potential client's confidence, you can get a job although others quote lower than you. When I worked at an ad agency, we often went with the photographer we were more confident with rather than with than the less expensive alternative -- think about all the other costs that could be incurred if the shoot goes wrong!

Just a thought,
    if it was my relative...
    I'll shoot because i want the best for them. Never about the price or money. =)

Regards
    D3s / D3x / 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 / 55-200 f3.5-5.6 / 50 f1.8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12