Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Aging lens...

  1. #1

    Default Aging lens...

    hi guys... any one knows if there's a life span for lens??...
    a number of second hand and even third hand lens on sale... some as old as
    2-3 yrs old.. juz wondering is it safe to purchase them??..
    what things need to be checked n take note on buying them??

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blurboiboi
    hi guys... any one knows if there's a life span for lens??...
    a number of second hand and even third hand lens on sale... some as old as
    2-3 yrs old.. juz wondering is it safe to purchase them??..
    what things need to be checked n take note on buying them??
    buy your 300D liao?
    Canon 10D/550D /Sigma 17-50mm/Sigma 30mm/Canon 50mm/Sigma 85mm

  3. #3

    Default

    yup yup...
    but no time to play with it yet...
    and only kit lens.. so looking for get new ones with better zoom capabilities
    u still using S2 Pro??.. saw your thread regarding u wanting to buy a 300D... jump ship??

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blurboiboi
    yup yup...
    but no time to play with it yet...
    and only kit lens.. so looking for get new ones with better zoom capabilities
    u still using S2 Pro??.. saw your thread regarding u wanting to buy a 300D... jump ship??
    play with your kit lens first lar
    Canon 10D/550D /Sigma 17-50mm/Sigma 30mm/Canon 50mm/Sigma 85mm

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Habourfront
    Posts
    869

    Default

    where did you buy from?

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tweakmax
    play with your kit lens first lar
    prefer taking wild life ma.. so a 55mm lens is definitely not enough...
    that is one of the reason i upgraded from my 602 too... not enough zoom...
    wanted to get 828 one... but James keep saying DSLR is the only thing to go to after 602...

    so gotten ur 300D?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blurboiboi
    prefer taking wild life ma.. so a 55mm lens is definitely not enough...
    that is one of the reason i upgraded from my 602 too... not enough zoom...
    wanted to get 828 one... but James keep saying DSLR is the only thing to go to after 602...

    so gotten ur 300D?
    wanna borrow my 70-200, f/2.8??????

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Habourfront
    Posts
    869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blurboiboi
    prefer taking wild life ma.. so a 55mm lens is definitely not enough...
    that is one of the reason i upgraded from my 602 too... not enough zoom...
    wanted to get 828 one... but James keep saying DSLR is the only thing to go to after 602...

    so gotten ur 300D?

    where did you buy from?

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpitFir3
    where did you buy from?

    I got it from Tan Union... China Town area... dunno whether is it a good place to get cameras... other places all sold out... a little desperate cos sold my cam.... so got it lor... $1750 w/gst for kit set

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    wanna borrow my 70-200, f/2.8??????
    blurblock... cannot afford to pay you baq if something happens to it man.. heehee... btw.. you use it often??... most prob getting a mid range lens ( 2X - 7X/135) and a low range lens (like urs??) hee

    hei guys... maybe we should go out shoot b4 my holis end... need to "xi shou" all ur skills, hee.. :P

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blurboiboi
    blurblock... cannot afford to pay you baq if something happens to it man.. heehee... btw.. you use it often??... most prob getting a mid range lens ( 2X - 7X/135) and a low range lens (like urs??) hee

    hei guys... maybe we should go out shoot b4 my holis end... need to "xi shou" all ur skills, hee.. :P

    oh no!!!.. i mean LONG RANGE LENS not "low range.." paiseh!!!!

  12. #12
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    how about something scary?

    glass is a supercooled liquid, you're bound to have some movement in it if you dont touch it... in other words, it will "flow" on a pretty much negligible rate and pull the lens out of the original designed shape.
    Last edited by sehsuan; 11th December 2003 at 06:18 PM.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blurboiboi
    blurblock... cannot afford to pay you baq if something happens to it man.. heehee... btw.. you use it often??... most prob getting a mid range lens ( 2X - 7X/135) and a low range lens (like urs??) hee

    hei guys... maybe we should go out shoot b4 my holis end... need to "xi shou" all ur skills, hee.. :P
    Actually, I only use it once .... I got it secondhanded .... LOL ..... Pretty good lens .......

    What is a 2X - 7X/135? 24 - 135? or 28-135? That is standard zoom zens

    70-200 is just a low range zoom lens.....

    There is up to 500mm zoom lens .... Sigma 50-500mm ..... that is long range ....

    Then there is up to 1000mm lens to see the sky ..... above that, chances are you will want to use telescope ;P

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    how about something scary?

    glass is a supercooled liquid, you're bound to have some movement in it if you dont touch it... in other words, it will "flow" on a pretty much negligible rate and pull the lens out of the original designed shape.

    ahhhh!!!! ahhhhh!! ahhhhhh!!!!! Scared Scared ....... Ahhhhh!!!! what will happen to my lens in 20000 years time !!!!!

    ummmm........ oh, I forget, I would live that long .....

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blurboiboi
    prefer taking wild life ma.. so a 55mm lens is definitely not enough...
    that is one of the reason i upgraded from my 602 too... not enough zoom...
    wanted to get 828 one... but James keep saying DSLR is the only thing to go to after 602...

    so gotten ur 300D?
    For wild life.... consider these....
    Sigma 50-500 f4-f6.3
    Sigma 120-300 f2.8
    Canon 100-400 f4 L
    Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS or Sigma 70-700 f2.8 <-- although to be honest, a little short for wide life. Use a TC to extend it.

    Should work well with your 300D.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    337

    Default

    i would go for 50-500 sigma

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Habourfront
    Posts
    869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blurboiboi
    I got it from Tan Union... China Town area... dunno whether is it a good place to get cameras... other places all sold out... a little desperate cos sold my cam.... so got it lor... $1750 w/gst for kit set

    yoh dude...can i double check its $1750 with GST ?

    with gst right?

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpitFir3
    yoh dude...can i double check its $1750 with GST ?

    with gst right?
    ya with GST

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    For wild life.... consider these....
    Sigma 50-500 f4-f6.3
    Sigma 120-300 f2.8
    Canon 100-400 f4 L
    Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS or Sigma 70-700 f2.8 <-- although to be honest, a little short for wide life. Use a TC to extend it.

    Should work well with your 300D.
    Damm ..... you are going to break someone's bank ......

    BTW, first time I heard of Sigma 70-700 f/2.8 ....... Sigma's techology so good, I think Canon and Nikon got to go jump building already ;P.... LOL

    But seriously, Sigma 50-500 is a good buy for wildlife.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    669

    Default

    so the price went down....was qouted S$1750 without GST by Tan Union a month back....


    Quote Originally Posted by blurboiboi
    ya with GST

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •