Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good 'take anywhere' prosumer camera

Quote Originally Posted by PLRBEAR
    Wah. all the recommendations getting bigger and BIGGER!
    Yeah, its too bad the higher-spec, better cameras are usually bigger in size. None of the "small" cameras take microdrives anyway. The smallest one I know that takes them are the S40/45/50 from Canon.

Here's my view:
    The G3 is a great all round cam, but it's AF is slow. So if you are used to the speed of a DSLR, the G3 will feel like a grandmother.

If you want fast, and can live with not-so-small, I recommend the A1. I have it, and it's great. Fast ( though slower than DSLR ), ergonomic, full-featured, low noise 5MP pics, and great 28-200 lens + image stableliser. The downside : expensive ( around $1550 ), and rather big ( but small enough to fit into a normal-sized waist pouch. In fact, that's how I usually carry it ). Yes, it takes microdrives. I also have a DSLR, and I use the A1 as a 2nd camera. The 28-200 lens makes sure that I can capture all manner of photos that my DSLR fitted with a telephoto lens can't.

If you want small, but speed not so important, try the S45/S50 cameras from Canon. Has most of the features of the G3, but much more compact and small enough to fit into your pocket if you're not wearing tight jeans.
    Last edited by chriszzz; 31st December 2003 at 04:26 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12