Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rant: I really don't get some buyers these days...

Default Re: Rant: I really don't get some buyers these days...

for me, i will insist the buyer to meet me either at amk mrt station or best is to meet at my void deck.. this will 99% sniff out the jokers... so far so good, carried out good deals in such a manner.. no doubt, i may not be getting a better price by allowing meetup elsewhere but i can save my time and effort dealing with the jokers... if really got jokers want to play with me by meeting at my place, i will just pack and leave.. i lose nothing..

so far, my buyers are all genuine and sincere adults..

I agree with you n0d3. Kids these days are lacking the social grace that the Singapore Govt is trying to encourage to improve our marketing worth as the tourism industry gets more competitive.

Back to the main meat of the thread, I have a friend who sold his 30D at a knock down price because his Camera was a condition 7. He use it very frequently for events and the usage was quite harsh on the body cosmetically. But the 1st buyer he met up with was super CRITICAL over the cosmetics when he has already mentioned in his BnS thread to expect significant usage marks on the body. Again its really the blame of bad luck which we would have no control.

Sellers can only implace clauses as deterrents to exclude many errant buyers who tend to low-ball prices and pull off gestures to achieve that.

A personal of friend of mine who deals in Clubsnap BnS for most of his equipment, says he checks the responses or threads the buyer have posted before to kinda of see if there is bare minimum maturity. Of course, there are some who just join as new members and just wanna solely buy equipment in which this test would not work.

Quote Originally Posted by n0d3 View Post
    SORRY RANT COMING.

So lets say I'm selling a 10-22. Meets up with buyer, he tests it with his 40D then he mentions oh looksie here it doesn't look sharp on the LCD. Oh wait you're shooting at 1/20 at ISO 100 on a cloudy almost rainy day? LOL.

Ok here's the best part, he refuses to let me show him or rather test it out for him. And he goes on to "Oh I'm used to shooting at this kinda shutter speed". RIGHT. And you're using the 40D LCD as a gauge for sharpness? Right.

And he goes off without saying sorry or anything. I mean okay if you don't like it at least you say oh so sorry for taking up your time or something like that BUT he did say he'll buy the lens.

Kids these days.

*Mods: Feel free to move this to kopitiam or somewhere else appropriate.

I kinda of like this way of Selling. It just turns the tables on errant buyers. But then again, some have a genuine difficulty in getting to a place near your residence. (Can you imagine if you live in a area which is quite inaccessible?)

I think this really works best if you live near an MRT station. I think i will take a leaf out of this mode of selling my stuffs in future.

Quote Originally Posted by ivan1981 View Post
    for me, i will insist the buyer to meet me either at amk mrt station or best is to meet at my void deck.. this will 99% sniff out the jokers... so far so good, carried out good deals in such a manner.. no doubt, i may not be getting a better price by allowing meetup elsewhere but i can save my time and effort dealing with the jokers... if really got jokers want to play with me by meeting at my place, i will just pack and leave.. i lose nothing..

so far, my buyers are all genuine and sincere adults..

Quote Originally Posted by n0d3 View Post
    I think anything other than the new recent generation of screens like the one on the 50D sucks, heh. I mean seriously, the rest just don't pack enough pixels for you to see anything clearly.
    Agree with this! Waiting eargerly to see 60D coming out....

That reminds me of the few buyers and rude service i have met.

Some years back when i was selling my manfotto tripod *cant remember the model* should be 190B at $140-150. condition at least 9 with padded trippod bag somemore.

Met up with this fellow who claims he is keen in buying and we met up at tpy mrt station, after inspections like moving the trippod head, detech everything, he says this is not the one he wants for his purpose, then leave everything on the floor and walk away. I am really dame piss off. Who doesnt? Ergh...

There is also one case many years ago when i was selling my nokia 8210 to a dealer, he come to my area, take out the handphone and stuff. He dismantle the battery, take out the casing, cover and dunoo do something, then he started to bargain of $50 off. I rejected ofcourse but with a nice manner...

He then felt that he cant get at his price then he walk away. Guess what, after i reach home, i reallise my phone is damage by some error and unable to make calls and auto switch off. *I then realise he dunno press some code or do something to my phone*

I called him to verified and he even dare to admit and try to be nasty...

Can a normal human behave in such evil selfish act?? Sometimes, its sad such pple exists.

I have the good fortune to meet buyers that were decent so far but there was an incident which I could not stop laughing when I think about it. This guy was getting a body and was trying it out. He took a few shot and showed me. The shots were underexposed, all of them. I took the camera over and checked....... he dialled the exposure compensation to -2. I told him that and got a blank look. So I adjusted it for him and took a shot. Shot turned out ok. He bought the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Agree with this! Waiting eargerly to see 60D coming out....
    i disagree, never judge the pictures using yr camera lcds, new cameras have big high pixed lcds, so least last 95% pictures turn of very sharp even using kit lens, however if you view it on big screen monitor lcd, there will be lots of differences. I still prefer those 2 inchs or 1.8inchs type lol. Mostly importantly is the big Viewfinder that is more important.

Kids these days are lacking the social grace that the Singapore Govt is trying to encourage to improve our marketing worth as the tourism industry gets more competitive
    lacking social grace??
    in this country?

you need to get out more mate. This is probably the most socially graceful country i have ever been to, especially the younger generation. In Australia I couldn't walk down the road and deal Cash in hand for a 2000$ piece of equipment. Singapore i have no fears at all with the person i'm dealing with and anyone around me. I have delt with several 'kid's' and they have been good, no complaints at all.

I think i am lucky, I have had some of the best buy and sell experience meeting several great people who have offered me some great advice. I think sometimes you get back what you are giving and if you are being rude you are 90% your going to get that come back at you. And sometimes people are just unlucky. Just like in the TS case.

It's the same everywhere, singapore, australia, malaysia, england - just depends on your luck and how you see things.

I have bought and sold on clubsnap and my experiences have been good. I have bought second-hand camera gear in Melbourne and my experiences have been good.

I find that in Singapore it is easier to deal second-hand as there is more supply, cheaper and transportation is easy. In Melbourne, hard to find specific lens or gear, far to travel to inspect or collect (if not in the CBD), hence tend to be more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by geeteethree View Post
    lacking social grace??
    in this country?

you need to get out more mate. This is probably the most socially graceful country i have ever been to, especially the younger generation. In Australia I couldn't walk down the road and deal Cash in hand for a 2000$ piece of equipment. Singapore i have no fears at all with the person i'm dealing with and anyone around me. I have delt with several 'kid's' and they have been good, no complaints at all.

I think i am lucky, I have had some of the best buy and sell experience meeting several great people who have offered me some great advice. I think sometimes you get back what you are giving and if you are being rude you are 90% your going to get that come back at you. And sometimes people are just unlucky. Just like in the TS case.
    =)

lacking social grace??
    in this country?

This probably has more to do with 'crime rate' than 'social grace'. On that note however, I agree to feeling safe when conducting such trades in Singapore. We usually get stares from lots of people when the gear is being tested, and when several hundred dollars exchange hands over something that looks like a glorified plastic toilet roll containing glass, but yeah, I've never been robbed.

It constantly surprises me as to how much money some of the kids have these days. Reminds me of what somebody at a camera shop once said: 'If my customer says he's a student, I charge him more. It's the students that think nothing of putting down $12K for a camera.'

Quote Originally Posted by fWord View Post
    It constantly surprises me as to how much money some of the kids have these days. Reminds me of what somebody at a camera shop once said: 'If my customer says he's a student, I charge him more. It's the students that think nothing of putting down $12K for a camera.'
    That's cos they're spending their parents' money !!

haha, near my estate in sg, i often see primary sch students eating "big breakfast" at mac in the morning... some carry expensive phones like "Iphones" primany sch~~ So envy. My Dad's even til now havent even give me any present. My present states are purely self obtain...

Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    It's the same everywhere, singapore, australia, malaysia, england - just depends on your luck and how you see things.

I have bought and sold on clubsnap and my experiences have been good. I have bought second-hand camera gear in Melbourne and my experiences have been good.

I find that in Singapore it is easier to deal second-hand as there is more supply, cheaper and transportation is easy. In Melbourne, hard to find specific lens or gear, far to travel to inspect or collect (if not in the CBD), hence tend to be more expensive.

Well, I have met many nice folks here and any where in the world. but sometimes in life, negative pple will pass by... Its part of life i guess, not everyone is socially responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyoexpress View Post
    haha, near my estate in sg, i often see primary sch students eating "big breakfast" at mac in the morning... some carry expensive phones like "Iphones" primany sch~~ So envy. My Dad's even til now havent even give me any present. My present states are purely self obtain...
    Heheh, that's a humorous way of looking at it. But I'm sure the gifts from your parents are non tangibles that are greater than iPhones or fast cars.

I've seen the LCDs of both cameras and I'd have to say that the 40D's LCD screen beats the 5D classic's hands down.
    Second this.I suppose the best way to test lens sharpness is to bring your Laptop with you to test the lens and view shots at 100%.

In Australia I couldn't walk down the road and deal Cash in hand for a 2000$ piece of equipment.
    why not?
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

i could
    but i deal most of my gear at mrt stations.
    Train stations in australian cities are shocking and wouldn't carry around thousands of dollars around with me especially it being counted and checked out in the open.
    It would be stolen after I'd be bashed because i was standing on the platform.

Quote Originally Posted by sidder View Post
    I kinda of like this way of Selling. It just turns the tables on errant buyers. But then again, some have a genuine difficulty in getting to a place near your residence. (Can you imagine if you live in a area which is quite inaccessible?)

I think this really works best if you live near an MRT station. I think i will take a leaf out of this mode of selling my stuffs in future.
    well, no worries for me.. coz i live in amk... the most i will deal is at amk mrt station.. if the buyer decides to be some joker, i will just pack and walk home.. takes me 10 mins though

using this as a deterrent, i am thankful that the buyers whom i have met are very sincere and genuine buyers.. some who were driving even dealt with me at my place directly.

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Hey, I echo your sentiments. But it applies not only to 'Kids' these days, but also to 'Adults' these days. But the fact that many of our younger generation are a little deficient in social grace is an issue that is totally disheartening.

I think, yes, he is simply trying to push for a better price by nit-picking and by walking away. No need to do business with this type. Just count yourself unlucky to have wasted time and a trip.
    I think we are all referring to Gen Y people..... I also get this kind of nonsense from them at work.

Oh is that right? Guess you misinterpret my tonality there. Any principled person would know that it is basic etiquette to be diplomatic in any deal or exchange. (if you would prefer this as compared to "socially graceful").

Every country has it own set of negative issues dealing with their society.

By saying i need to get out more, you are putting me down in saying that i am some one who is oblivious to happenings around my country (get back what are you giving eh?). What we see, feel, hear is what defines our reality and set of beliefs. The human mind constructs and links up all these sights, sounds, perceptions, experiences very quickly once we see a repetitive pattern. And this results into the "reality" we see.

I have a fair shair of good dealings with "kids" (again we have not really define the age group for this term. Tertiary students and younger?). I being a tertiary student myself. These "kids", if we set that definition, are my peers, seniors not much older or juniors younger than me.

I guess when i was saying "kids", in my previous post, was to refer to juniors younger than me only.

Hope this clear up the air slightly.

lacking social grace??
    in this country?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast