Thread: ND Grad filter

Default ND Grad filter

Hi, im new here, seeking for help from bros & pros here.

Im using Nikon 17-35mm wide lens, and now i want to try ND Grad filter from Cokin or Lee.
    Please give me advises what size i need to buy to avoid vignette if i use at 17mm ?

Thanks a lot in advance

Default Re: ND Grad filter

hmmm go read their sites for more info on the ND grad filters 56-77mm is not a issue but im not sure about 82mm. unless you looking for screw in filters
    Last edited by KelvinDestiny; 17th July 2009 at 10:25 PM.

If you want to prevent vignetting then don't use the filter holder. Just hold the Cokin filter with 2 fingers.

Let me chip in for Cokin & it's equivalents.

Two relatively cheap methods:

(a) as "Trash" said, hold the filter directly in front of the lens ~ assuming your setup is on a tripod. Better still, get the larger-sized filter: 4" x 6" (easier to hold steady w/out intruding fingers) => no vignetting

(b) "rest" your normal-sized filter on the P-wide angle holder (w/out the adapter ring) => no vignetting at 17mm only if your holder-cum-filter is aligned properly. Trade off => as the filter is not sitting on the adapter ring, the filter-cum-holder may just drop off if you point your setup downwards.

I'm using both methods.

P.S. The expensive method => the Lee system (which I have not tried though because I have committed too much into Cokin/Singh-Ray combo) or the Cokin X-PRO system.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenplz View Post
    Hi, im new here, seeking for help from bros & pros here.

Im using Nikon 17-35mm wide lens, and now i want to try ND Grad filter from Cokin or Lee.
    Please give me advises what size i need to buy to avoid vignette if i use at 17mm ?

Thanks a lot in advance
    Last edited by yyD70S; 19th July 2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: P.S.