Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you be creative on tour?

Default Can you be creative on tour?

I was just wondering if people would spend time to take nice pics when you're in a tour group. Like we barely just got there, and have to move on already. Perhaps, there's enough time. But if too much time is spent taking photos, then how do we really enjoy the place?

Well, that's for me. Perhaps travel photographers can share some insight.

Default Re: Can you be creative on tour?

if you really need to go on a tour, find one that is less pao-ka-liao so that more time is spent on each destination...
    d850 | a7r3 | I1P | P4P | Videos | Photos | Aerials

Quote Originally Posted by mayhemics View Post
    if you really need to go on a tour, find one that is less pao-ka-liao so that more time is spent on each destination...
    ermm... tour as in the usual tour package. pao-ka-liao.

the only time left = free and easy period. can use those time to travel back to those destinations (if it's near). but usually, it's shopping time. or eating local delicacies.

With so many limiting factors, sometimes we have to forego something to achieve something else. If you are looking to be creative on the move, then you have to cater time for it, if it is a trip with the family, it is probably more important to just get the shot and preserve the memory.

Don't do tours.

Do them only if you're just scouting around first. But it's also especially true that if you're a real creative sort, photos are everywhere.

Go for free and easy packages. But maybe have to look for your own places to go.

taking photos in a tour group can be diff, but still possible. U can try joining tour groups specifically targetted for photographers, like those organized by photography clubs. If u are joining those normal eat,shop,see tour group, guess u can still shoot, but have to shoot alot alot more of those trigger happy shots and select those gd ones when u are back.

I would love to go for an free-and-easy tour but no $$..

Just don't take such "All inclusive carefree" tours. There are always package trips where you only get Flight & Hotel. Search for the local tours then, get travel guides and maps, ask locals, make your own tour. Might be even cheaper, depending on local currency.

yup, usually most people would go on tour packages for its affordability and convenience. so, i was just wondering how?

also, many tours to china.. the tour guide will explain history and tell stories too.. like the stone looks like a dragon/buddha/etc.

i usually won't bother to listen the story/history... will just go back and re-google on the place. and focus more on taking pics. even so, i find it a bit too short before i can get any of my creative juice out.

Maybe joing a photography tour? I know Canon offers photography tours where a "pro"
    will take you to different locations, show you some culture / place of interest, while also detailing what shots may look good etc.

Maybe i should rephrase. It's the normal tour package. Not free and easy and not photographic, as the normal ones are cheaper. :P

So, on a normal tour package, can anyone take stunning million-dollar shots?

Also, if you guys choose to unleash ur dslrs, how much time is spent taking photos? would you miss a lot during the tour?

I think there are a few scenarios:
    1. Join run-of-the-mill tour group. The guide will do his/her best to explain about history, which in my opinion, is as important as being there. No amount of Googling would replace the actual experienced narrative of a guide. This case, very little chance of photo. Just bring P&S and, yes, just snap for memories sake.
    2. Free and Easy. Great, cos no itinerary. It's all up to oneself. But again, no local guide to direct one to certain exotic places with local flavour for good photo opportunity. Either you're lucky stumbling upon it, or you try your best to read up before getting there. Bring a good set of photo gears.
    3. Customized tour. Best of both worlds. Usually the traveller sets the pace right from beginning. One can shoot as many as one likes, then move on to the next destination. Beautiful way of travelling and shooting. Can bring the full set of photo gears (haha!) because someone else will be helping you carry, if you trust him to help.

i guess most stunning photos arent taken on (normal) tours then...

probably it's just the nature of travel photography. people usually go for comfort and ease than IQ, i.e. using the 18-200 as THE travel lens.

thing is, i've seen many stunning shots in the gallery section. was wondering how those guys did it? without the compromise of enjoying the place and without missing the fun.

what happened to me was i end up looking thru the camera hole most of the time instead of looking at the place with my 2 eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by happyfrog View Post
    thing is, i've seen many stunning shots in the gallery section. was wondering how those guys did it? without the compromise of enjoying the place and without missing the fun.

what happened to me was i end up looking thru the camera hole most of the time instead of looking at the place with my 2 eyes.
    That's the problem most of us face, isn't it?
    We're torn between really relaxing and enjoying the tour, and fulfilling our desire of shooting this wonderful new place that we've come to in the hope that we can bring back a coulpe of stunning pictures.

Only way? Go there on your own, or in small 2-3 person group with like-minded people. Get a local guide. Take own sweet time, extend the trip to as long as you can. Then can get enjoyment and picture. But how many of us can afford that luxury of time...?

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    That's the problem most of us face, isn't it?
    We're torn between really relaxing and enjoying the tour, and fulfilling our desire of shooting this wonderful new place that we've come to in the hope that we can bring back a coulpe of stunning pictures.

Only way? Go there on your own, or in small 2-3 person group with like-minded people. Get a local guide. Take own sweet time, extend the trip to as long as you can. Then can get enjoyment and picture. But how many of us can afford that luxury of time...?
    very rich people with lotsa time and money to spare. but for a commoner like me with a budget, guess it's not possible.

very rich people with lotsa time and money to spare. but for a commoner like me with a budget, guess it's not possible.
    Hahahaa....
    Can. Still can. Really. Go free and easy lor. That way no one to shove you along on the rat race of tour. And you can certainly find many more good keepers.

Doing some initial research can help you pre-plan what shots you think you'll want to take. Check out post cards, flickr, etc to see what others have already taken as this can give you a clue as to what you might want to shoot while you're on your tour. Or at least familiarize yourself so you're less blur as you're being led around. This will allow you to relax a bit and be a think about creative shots...

hmm... that's actually a very good tip. yea, i think pre-planning is mandatory for good shots.

will just have to work within time and budget constraints.

i guess most stunning photos arent taken on (normal) tours then...

probably it's just the nature of travel photography. people usually go for comfort and ease than IQ, i.e. using the 18-200 as THE travel lens.

Not quite true about the inability to take "stunning" photos on normal packaged tours...it very well depends on what you want to do on such a tour.

Just want to relate my experience on going on a packaged 7 days Taiwan tour last year with my family. I was initially against going on this tour 'cos rush, no time to take photos, etc. But I had no choice since family and relatives were going.

One main benefit of going for such tours for photographers is that you get to go to the most important landmarks, so your photos will surely have these. What I did on my packaged tour is this...
    1. I try not to join the group when they go shopping (i.e. spend money on useless souveniers)
    2. I made use of all the free and easy time to shoot
    3. I skipped all the guided tours and found my own way around. Met the group back at the bus.
    4. I woke up really early to shoot sunrise if you are at a scenic location.

And if you're interested, you may view some of my Taiwan photos here on flickr.

Have fun!
    Family | Health | Happy-ness. . . my Flickr here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast