Thread: Help on marco technics - Ants

Default Help on marco technics - Ants

Hi guys, last night I was trying out my new Sigma 105mm with D90 on some ants in the garden and have a hard time trying to focus on them. This is the first time I am shooting on insect.

I am using only the Marco lens with the build-in flash.

My problem:
    1. they simply move too fast
    2. there are some street lamps near the shooting area but it is hard for see what I am focusing on. Therefore I am not able to focus on the eyes/head.
    3. When shooting on 1:1 it is almost impossible for me to focus correctly and is always OOF.

I am trying not to use tripot as I find it hard to move around and some places are difficult to deploy the tripot.

What is the basic things that I should train up, setting or skill/technics that I need to polish up on.

Hope you guys can help me on this. Thanks.

Default Re: Help on marco technics - Ants

It's tripod, not tripot. You're not deploying 3 flower pots, right?

That aside... Street lamps?? So you're shooting at night? Do you have a macro flash then? You need to consider your shutter speed. Otherwise, use a tripod.

Also, you need patience. Best to observer the critters, figure out where they stop every now and then, and then use manual focus to target that spot first, then wait.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    It's tripod, not tripot. You're not deploying 3 flower pots, right?

That aside... Street lamps?? So you're shooting at night? Do you have a macro flash then? You need to consider your shutter speed. Otherwise, use a tripod.

Also, you need patience. Best to observer the critters, figure out where they stop every now and then, and then use manual focus to target that spot first, then wait.
    Sorry about the "Tripot" thanks for correcting. I guess I also need to polish up my english too. Yes I am shooting at night. Thanks for the tips, maybe next time i will bring some honey to make them stop longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    Thanks Diavonex, this website is really great and give really good advices and technics for ant shooting
    Last edited by DonnyKoh; 16th July 2009 at 10:16 AM.

new to macro photography here, is it only macro lens can do the work ?
    I notice most of the macro lens are fix lens, i am looking at tamron 18-270mm (there is macro word behind as well) does this long zoom lens consider a macro lens too ?
    Nikon D90 12/24mm/ 18-105mm / 50mm f1.8

Quote Originally Posted by orionct View Post
    new to macro photography here, is it only macro lens can do the work ?
    I notice most of the macro lens are fix lens, i am looking at tamron 18-270mm (there is macro word behind as well) does this long zoom lens consider a macro lens too ?
    hi Orionct, base on my limited knowledge that I can share is that 18-270 is not a marco lens. Correct me if I am wrong. The different is that marco lens let you get real close to the subject and most of the time give you 1:1. Meaning the subject fit exactly onto the your camera sensor. You can read more also from the Marco section.

You can also use the cheapest and most common setup. example a 50mm prime len with raynox DCX-250 or any other lens as long as the front doesn't exceed 67mm. You can check out more from http://www.mcgill.com.sg/shop/produc...182030500a533b

Quote Originally Posted by DonnyKoh View Post
    hi Orionct, base on my limited knowledge that I can share is that 18-270 is not a marco lens. Correct me if I am wrong. The different is that marco lens let you get real close to the subject and most of the time give you 1:1. Meaning the subject fit exactly onto the your camera sensor. You can read more also from the Marco section.

You can also use the cheapest and most common setup. example a 50mm prime len with raynox DCX-250 or any other lens as long as the front doesn't exceed 67mm. You can check out more from http://www.mcgill.com.sg/shop/produc...182030500a533b
    Hi donny, thanks!
    Nikon D90 12/24mm/ 18-105mm / 50mm f1.8

Is there any recommendation or things/features that I should look for when getting a tripod for macro? Any preferred brand? Sorry for my noob question.

wat u should be looking into is a flash and a gd diffuser. most of the macro shooters here hardly use a tripod unless they have the 200mm macro lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    Great site anf lots of valuable tips/advice
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

What I do at night is to use a torchlight to illuminate the subjects so I can AF properly and use external flash to provide sufficient lighting for the macro shots.

You'd need to do trial and error to understand better on the flash power needed as well as the settings involved.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    What I do at night is to use a torchlight to illuminate the subjects so I can AF properly and use external flash to provide sufficient lighting for the macro shots.

You'd need to do trial and error to understand better on the flash power needed as well as the settings involved.
    Thanks zac08 for the advice. Sorry about my ignorance, I am wondering how do you have the touchlight to illuminate the subject when your hand is on the camera? Does it mean you are using a tripod?

Quote Originally Posted by DonnyKoh View Post
    Thanks zac08 for the advice. Sorry about my ignorance, I am wondering how do you have the touchlight to illuminate the subject when your hand is on the camera? Does it mean you are using a tripod?
    You have 2 hands?

Also, as mentioned before, tripods are a must especially when you're shooting in dim lighting.
    Alpha