Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to take nice pictures around S'pore

Default Re: How to take nice pictures around S'pore

/Users/lukeong/Documents/Singapore/IMG_7057 - Version 2.jpg/Users/lukeong/Documents/Singapore/IMG_7064 - Version 2.jpg/Users/lukeong/Documents/Singapore/IMG_1368 - Version 2.jpg/Users/lukeong/Documents/Singapore/_MG_0768 - Version 2.jpg/Users/lukeong/Documents/Singapore/_MG_0778 - Version 2.jpg

singapore!

If one begins with the thinking that there's nothing to shoot, then the mind closes up and there's nothing to "see" as well.

I don't have the luxury of time and money to travel out of town too often. So I take it as a challenge to present the sights in Singapore in different light/angle etc. Every week I'll just choose somewhere to go to shoot and evaluate my style, composition, etc - last week it was CHIJMES, this week it is the Bandstand of Botanic Gardens. I try to make even the mundane things "come alive" through my photos...and it's definitely great for practice, so when the overseas trip comes, I'm ready to roar!
    Family | Health | Happy-ness. . . my Flickr here

btw, just to add that my relative who's from the UK says that there's so much to shoot here. For one, we're blessed with great sunny sky here, unlike the sky in a city like London that is frequenly dull and gray. So take heart...the grass is really greener here.
    Family | Health | Happy-ness. . . my Flickr here

Quote Originally Posted by jaRv1s View Post
    Singapore got a lot of nice places to shoot la... i started in Singapore when i just got my DSLR... tried night shooting (tripod is mandatory)... day street shooting... but frankly, i like night shooting in Singapore... vibrant colors, lot of buildings and lot of lights... all you need to do is to learn all the basic stuffs and use it...
    I agree about the night shots in S'pore..
    The night scene here are so much nicer as compared to other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post

Oversea's clouds are fluffy, skies are blue, flowers a blooming, mountains. Here are overcast, leaves are dried. Ships all over the horizon, trees come with buildings as bonus.

I like to hear your view and what are the areas or framing that you try to keep your pictures interesting.
    my view? here it is:

we see the things we want to see, you want to see the overcast skies, and the dried leaves, that is your choice, and your mind is stuck in a rut.

me, i find singapore one of the prettiest places i have been to, in this life so far. don't blame it on the country. blame yourself. blame your lack of effort, blame your mindset, blame the fact that you prefer to whine about having nothing to shoot.

there is beauty everywhere. you only have to want to see it.
    Last edited by night86mare; 16th July 2009 at 09:04 AM.

The night scene in Singapore is nice but the night scene in Hong Kong is better especially the neon lights, sign board and street vendors.

by the way,

most of the people i know who complain about having nothing to shoot in singapore here in clubsnap, i see their travel photos, also not interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    The night scene in Singapore is nice but the night scene in Hong Kong is better especially the neon lights, sign board and street vendors.

yes! elsewhere always nicer. never mind that you are here most of the time, that you have the opportunity to wait for light that you can't when travelling. elsewhere is ALWAYS nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    Excellent contribution of feedbacks and experiences. Thanks

The reason I asked and few of my associates have spoken likewise is the feeling towards a appreciating a picture of a familar view is duller. I just wanted to hear from members with hobby as photography if their perceptions. Perception, I believe if part of photography too which some call them style.

What I am about to write is not about any person's photography skill or quality, it is just how I appreciate the pictures. When I look at fantastic city, street, landscape picture taken here, I praised it on the skill and expression but I would not at a look the second time as it is normal. But a simple picture taken oversea attracts me to admire it again.

I dont find picture of a familiar view duller.. In fact, i am always in awe at all the beautiful photos of Singapore that fellow CSer took and how they made such simple photos become an Art piece...

Well.. You will not take a second look at photos of Singapore a second time.. If you take a photo of Paris... Most Parisien will not take a second look at your photo a second time too no matter how nice you might have shot it... Cos' they have the same mentality as you...

Singapore has
    blue sunny and blue skies most of the year (Compared to gloomy London or Paris most of the months),
    HDB flats where no other countries have as many, rustic Pulau Ubin, Little India, Chinatown, cityscape (most European countries do not have skyscapers comparable to Asian countries),
    tropical rainforest with the largest number of species of flora and fauna (compared to temperate climate forest or any other type of vegetation),
    people of different cultures and Nationalities and races (In Europe, its all "Ang mohs"... In China, it's all Chinese... so they are not as mixed),, with this come the opportunities to take photos of the many religious and cultural festivities...

If one's photo is still able to impress others when the same subjects might have been taken million of times by others, he has truly created a work of Art...
    Last edited by hongwen37; 16th July 2009 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    yes! elsewhere always nicer. never mind that you are here most of the time, that you have the opportunity to wait for light that you can't when travelling. elsewhere is ALWAYS nicer.

Night86mare, can you share where you took the photo? I'm looking for vantage points to do weekly Fri nite after work photography. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Night86mare, can you share where you took the photo? I'm looking for vantage points to do weekly Fri nite after work photography. Thx
    sorry,

i want to share, but the last time i shared something in public, end up many people go there in big groups, make noise, actually is a happy thing to do, also not problem.. but people do not exercise due caution, unless it is not a place where there will not be problems where residents complain, etc, i will not share. this location, the security guard start to be du lan, i guess residents complain.

anyhow, sooner or later there will be some smart alec who will tell you after seeing my refusal. but i will stick to my principles. hope you understand.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInMacro View Post
    If one begins with the thinking that there's nothing to shoot, then the mind closes up and there's nothing to "see" as well.

I don't have the luxury of time and money to travel out of town too often. So I take it as a challenge to present the sights in Singapore in different light/angle etc. Every week I'll just choose somewhere to go to shoot and evaluate my style, composition, etc - last week it was CHIJMES, this week it is the Bandstand of Botanic Gardens. I try to make even the mundane things "come alive" through my photos...and it's definitely great for practice, so when the overseas trip comes, I'm ready to roar!

If one begins with a mindset of ethnocentricism and does not see things objectively, then there's nothing to see as well....

Well, just shoot everything and anything that everyone has shot before...but from your angle/perspective instead? Your viewpoint is supposed to be unique, unless you chose the tried and tested safe shots?

This thread starter joined ClubSnap in July 2007, by now, almost two years. Suppose to have seen all or most pictures being posted here in different section, and now finally draw the conclusion of those pictures is not worth a second look.( as mentioned)

So, the TS is currently in search for a method to take " nice " picture of Singapore without any skill and experience in photography. ( as mentioned ) A hint that TS is looking for a quickway out.

Sum it up..TS is looking for someone who can provide a special formula to a person who possess no knowledge - skill - experience of photography but be able to take " nice " and forever exciting to be look at photos of Singapore.

If there is no such method/ formula exist, advise to take up other form of hobby where one can fast track. B'coz photography is a long and winding road.

Perhaps, TS might have neglected the importance of trees planting in a city where the habitat density is high.
    And if, when there is no ships to be seen on our horizon, Singapore is in deep trouble.

The majority of positive responses that local scenes are still worthy for photo taking have given me a re-energizing revision of my insight and I thank you all. Those who seeks foreign scenes to add onto their collections are also good for enrichment. But some corrections that I like to make are, loving our country is not about look, it includes a heavy percentage of social, environmental mindset and ethnics. While the way flora grows are dependent on species and season; we also have season here too.

In conclusion, nothing is dull if you use the right vision, creative perspective, techniques and thoughts. And yes, I enjoyed a few of the pictures posted in here. Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12