Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 64

Thread: Canon L Lens ... what's the good?

  1. #41
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,417

    Default Re: Canon L Lens ... what's the good?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lomographer View Post
    not a canon person. don't really care anyway....
    but for sure the EF lens cant be mounted on the single digit d series
    it's unlike nikon
    You're talking utterly nonsense. Go and check Canon equipment first.
    EF is the standard mount type for ALL recent Canon DSLR cameras. There are limitations for the use of EF-S lenses on certain bodies but not for EF lenses.

  2. #42

    Default Re: Canon L Lens ... what's the good?

    When u take L lens out, you just feel great. Especially the "White" ones... lol, U can 90% get what u see.... Super fast AF & clear imaging too most L lens, it contains florite elements within the lens which enhance the sharpness. that a differences from L lens compare to normals ones...

  3. #43
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: Canon L Lens ... what's the good?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyoexpress View Post
    When u take L lens out, you just feel great. Especially the "White" ones... lol, U can 90% get what u see.... Super fast AF & clear imaging too most L lens, it contains florite elements within the lens which enhance the sharpness. that a differences from L lens compare to normals ones...
    Lolx... you make it sound like a ego thing...
    But honestly I would love to have it black as I feel the 'white-ness' of it draws too much attention.

  4. #44
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: Canon L Lens ... what's the good?

    Personally I have used the Canon 24-70mm F2.8L & the 50mm F1.8. Frankly speaking judging strictly on lens's IQ on sharpness & color, the L lens is no match for the cheapo 50mm F1.8 lens (at similar F2.8).

    Of coz if you are comparing the bokeh, focusing speed the result would diff...

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Canon L Lens ... what's the good?

    All my lenses used to be Ls but now i keep only the 50mm. Reason for selling away my 17-40 and 70-200 f/4 is that i found that what suits me most is of key importance, so i changed to Sigma.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  6. #46
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: Canon L Lens ... what's the good?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Personally I have used the Canon 24-70mm F2.8L & the 50mm F1.8. Frankly speaking judging strictly on lens's IQ on sharpness & color, the L lens is no match for the cheapo 50mm F1.8 lens (at similar F2.8).

    Of coz if you are comparing the bokeh, focusing speed the result would diff...
    Abit curious, does anyone share the same experience as me before that a Prime lens take better photos than a L lens (zoom version)?

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,060

    Default Re: Canon L Lens ... what's the good?

    Flip out the cam with L Lens have FACE.

    Wah.... red band white body....I shadow away cos' mine Tamron 18-200mm some more no V/R. Pai Say
    Enjoy your every moment with our nature and friends

  8. #48
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,417

    Default Re: Canon L Lens ... what's the good?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Abit curious, does anyone share the same experience as me before that a Prime lens take better photos than a L lens (zoom version)?
    How do you define "better"?

  9. #49

    Default Re: Canon L Lens ... what's the good?

    This is a serious misinterpretation of the Canon system. Conceptually wrong and to some extent an ignorant attempt at addressing the TS's issues he has brought up.

    I give it to you that you are not a Canon user and are unclear about Canon's equipment. For me i still can pardon you for saying Canon technical info inaccurately.

    Whether in the Nikon, Canon, Pentax, RF etc sub-forums, i feel that responses in CSnap forums should be diplomatic and e-socially considerate.



    Quote Originally Posted by Lomographer View Post
    not a canon person. don't really care anyway....

    but for sure the EF lens cant be mounted on the single digit d series

    it's unlike nikon

  10. #50

    Default Re: Canon L Lens ... what's the good?

    To TsQ,

    It's really no harm asking such questions to clear up your concept of Canon's equipment. This is a good thread of information we have all contributed if some new Canon user hops along and wanna seek info on the comparison between L and non L glass. It's still a monetary investment in the 4 digit region (brand new).

    Hope you are well furnished with the info you want such that it can help you arrive at some decisions on your photography road map.

    Keep shooting and things will fall in place thereafter.

    Cheers!


    Quote Originally Posted by TsQ View Post
    Thks limwhow , Edwin Francis & everyone ... this clears my view of L lens...

    just that everytime i read online, everyone talki like L lens seems to be like so super..

    then i go read and chk ard, yes it is a faster lens and with the advantanges that we all now know of very well, but i just wonder if there's anything more then that or not (when comparing a non-L lens with same spec)... and i got the answer that clearifies things well.. and thks to u all and i wish this thread will help any newbie having the same (silly) question as me..

  11. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    River Valley
    Posts
    1,046

    Default Re: Canon L Lens ... what's the good?

    Quote Originally Posted by sidder View Post
    To TsQ,

    It's really no harm asking such questions to clear up your concept of Canon's equipment. This is a good thread of information we have all contributed if some new Canon user hops along and wanna seek info on the comparison between L and non L glass. It's still a monetary investment in the 4 digit region (brand new).

    Hope you are well furnished with the info you want such that it can help you arrive at some decisions on your photography road map.

    Keep shooting and things will fall in place thereafter.

    Cheers!
    yes.. thks all, this post does help me a lot on some question that is really not commonly seen... my question was more specific as i just wanted to know "what else" other then the obvious advantages we used to see for L lens...

    but after reading this, i concluded something (that many might want to argue)

    1) those buy L lens are really serious in the photography works.. so nothing is compromised
    2) then some buy L lens purely to boost up ego.. haha..as in "Feel more pro"

    no offence hor..

  12. #52
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: Canon L Lens ... what's the good?

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    How do you define "better"?
    Mainly Sharpness & Color.. anyone?

  13. #53

    Default Re: Canon L Lens ... what's the good?

    Weather sealing, faster AF, better optics & colors, better build, faster lens in its class. Thats L for you.

    Usually they do not overlap, i.e, you will not find a 50/1.4L and 50/1.4 non L. Some might think half a stop of aperture does not justify the high difference in price for the 50L. The fact is so many other factors like build, color, optics, af all comes into play.

    Of course, that does not mean a non-L lens is shabby. the 100mm macro is known for its sharpness and the ef-s 17-55 is known to be the L lens in disguise.
    You'll only live once. Just once.
    Portfolio | Tangshooters

  14. #54

    Default Re: Canon L Lens ... what's the good?

    Quote Originally Posted by TsQ View Post
    2) then some buy L lens purely to boost up ego.. haha..as in "Feel more pro"
    sadly but one of my best friend is like this. bought SDLR 'must' with VG. Must get one 'white' lens (yes it's L), and flash. tripod must be manfrotto. Now thinking to update his less than 1 year SDLR body into the more pro one. haizzzzzz

    no offence
    α350 | α 16-80 CZ | 70-300G SSM | 50 f1.4 | 135 f1.8 CZ

  15. #55
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: Canon L Lens ... what's the good?

    Quote Originally Posted by teodesson View Post
    sadly but one of my best friend is like this. bought SDLR 'must' with VG. Must get one 'white' lens (yes it's L), and flash. tripod must be manfrotto. Now thinking to update his less than 1 year SDLR body into the more pro one. haizzzzzz

    no offence
    Curious... wat is SDLR? A new type of camera?

  16. #56

    Default Re: Canon L Lens ... what's the good?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Curious... wat is SDLR? A new type of camera?
    lol, wrong typo DSLR
    α350 | α 16-80 CZ | 70-300G SSM | 50 f1.4 | 135 f1.8 CZ

  17. #57
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: Canon L Lens ... what's the good?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Mainly Sharpness & Color.. anyone?
    Anyone?

  18. #58
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: Canon L Lens ... what's the good?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Anyone?
    No one?

  19. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,923

    Default Re: Canon L Lens ... what's the good?

    For a newbie, you don't need an L lens unless your current lens doesn't provide you with what you need. Just for general information, some L's are really sharp, some are worth every penny while some are really ridiculously expensive. There is no one size fits all answer. Before buying a lens, you have to decide:

    1. The focal length: Wide? Tele? Macro? Prime? Zoom?
    2. Max aperture size: f/2.8? f/4?
    3. Sharpness: Very sharp corner to corner?
    4. Build quality: Metal? Plastic?
    5. Price: Meet your budget?

    There are cheaper alternatives to L lenses out there. You just have to go research on it. Some people don't like to waste time combing through pages of information and just buy the L while some love to scrutinise every detail or aspect of the lens. If you need to buy a lens, think about the stuff I mentioned above. It will certainly help you find what you need rather than blindly buying something just because of its branding.

    Hope that helps. Cheers!

    PS: Oh one more thing. After buying the lens of your dream, don't ever come back to this thread again. Instead post your pictures at the gallery section.

  20. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: Canon L Lens ... what's the good?



    Quote Originally Posted by HeiPiGu View Post
    You don't need skills to deserve an L lens...you need $$$

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •