Thread: Please help... Digital cams

Default Please help... Digital cams

Hi i am relatively new to digital photography and i am now deciding which to get. I have more or less narrowed down my choice to the following four cameras, Ixus 400, A80, P8 and Nikon coolpix 3700.
    As you can see i am looking for a point and shoot camera that can take good pictures. My concern are the following

Ixus 400 :Use of CF card. I am quite concern of whether the cf card would go obsolete soon (Someone told me it might be obsolete by next year). cost of camera a little off budget. Heard that battery life rather short per charge

P8: Cost of accessories is very expensive. (the battery cost $110!!!)

Minolta XT: Reviews have said that images are soft. Lack of AF illuminator (I still wonder how important this is)

Coolpix 3700: ISO of 200 seems a little too little esp for indoor shoots + relatively new camera so price likely to drop further (I am not one who will rush out to buy the latest gadget, stil a little price sensitive.)

Please provide constructive advise and confuse me further.. Your help is highly appreciated (you can also give recommendations and where i can get the cam)
    Also how reputable are the following four places for cameras
    1. Cathay photo
    2. Alan photo
    3. MS color
    4. Bargain city

Quote Originally Posted by markytan
    Hi i am relatively new to digital photography and i am now deciding which to get. I have more or less narrowed down my choice to the following four cameras, Ixus 400, A80, P8 and Nikon coolpix 3700.
    As you can see i am looking for a point and shoot camera that can take good pictures. My concern are the following

Ixus 400 :Use of CF card. I am quite concern of whether the cf card would go obsolete soon (Someone told me it might be obsolete by next year). cost of camera a little off budget. Heard that battery life rather short per charge

Minolta XT: Reviews have said that images are soft. Lack of AF illuminator (I still wonder how important this is)

Coolpix 3700: ISO of 200 seems a little too little esp for indoor shoots + relatively new camera so price likely to drop further (I am not one who will rush out to buy the latest gadget, stil a little price sensitive.)

Please provide constructive advise and confuse me further.. Your help is highly appreciated (you can also give recommendations and where i can get the cam)
    1. Cathay photo
    2. Alan photo
    3. MS color
    4. Bargain city
    ixus 400
    CF card obsolete? u must be kidding
    Canon 10D/550D /Sigma 17-50mm/Sigma 30mm/Canon 50mm/Sigma 85mm

Deregistered

Why not consider the Canon A70? Price is good and is a good PnS. Accessories you need maybe extra CF card and batteries.

CP3700 ISO 200 too little? My friend, on a DC, you'd probably not even want anything above ISO 200. Trust me.

CF obselete, I think maybe in about ... hmmm I don't know, I think it'll last longer then my camera

Have only dealt with the first two shops on your list.

I've dealt with the first three shops. They're reputable but could quote you the list prices if they could get away with it....

Agree with espn, A70 is a good buy.

Quote Originally Posted by markytan

1. Cathay photo
    2. Alan photo
    3. MS color
    4. Bargain city
    Get Ixus 400 lor ........ very verstile compact camera........

who told you CF card is obsolating? That guy / gal must be either a real fan of Fujifilm or Olympus to be promoting XD card ..... whahahahhaha.... even so, Olympus still come out with prosumer Cameras (5050, 5060) that support CF card, with XD step down adapter..... LOL..... I don't think CF card is obsolating soon, if it is then users of all high end Digital Camera will need to bang their head against the wall.... LOL

Thanks for your replies.. I had initially considered the A80 but simply found it a little too big to carry around often.

Anyway how good would ISO 200 be since most camera support up to ISO 400, i wonder if 200 would be too little.

So which shop should i get my camera at.

I am still quite confuse over which camera to get.

I think what the folks mean is that if the ISO is too high, noise level often jacks up as well. Therefore, most of us digital shooters shoot on low ISO to "flush out" the noise.