Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: is my photo really not sharp enough?

Default Re: is my photo really not sharp enough?

are your friends looking at 100% ?
    Objection !!!

looking at yr photos..pls read more..shoot more and DISCOUNT YR FRIENDS.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    hahaha you haven't been reading thoroughly!
    zerocool, sorry hee, so USM = unsharp mask ?
    i also do not know what is unsharp mask, can you kindly tell me ?
    is it feature with nikon only?
    Nikon D90 12/24mm/ 18-105mm / 50mm f1.8

Your friend quite rubbish lah... Nowadays camera/lens technology so advance, would be rediculous if someone make such comment Nikon sharper then Canon, or Pentax sharper then Sony etc... There are so many factors involved, lens, sensors, motion blur, focusing point, Post processing, etc. All being equal, the most important factors would be the lens. So far in all the independent lens test that I seen so far, it's not evident that Nikon lens is sharper then Canon lens.

From your picture, doesn't seems like it even stretch to the lens sharpness issue, more on technique, framing & focus point. Like some other comments here, your shutter speed is too low to freeze camera shake, that is one reason. Second one that I observed is your choice of point of interest may not be clear, and viewer don't know what you want them to focus on... Some time focal length will also come into play with perceived sharpness. If you shoot a subject from far with a tele lens (200mm eg.), the subject background is blurred, and the subject is sharp in focus, that give a perception of sharpness eventhough the absolute sharpness is the same as another pict. One more observation is the pict of the ants on flower, there is both camera shake as well as too shallow DOF, causing most of the ants to be out of focus...

Equipment limitation normally will come in later, after you had stretched your skill beyond what you equipment is able to deliver. There are great photographer with all different brand of cameras, so it's rubbish to say one camera brand is sharper then another, period.

Quote Originally Posted by stanycjw View Post
    Sorry to interupt, seen your photos in FLICKR and generally it sharp.But notice that you did not follow the rule of thumb for your speed setting. I do not know are you using a tripot throughout. If so it's OK. Otherwise

#0950 (Flickr)
    Focal length = 41mm
    Speed = 1/250 (This is perfect, without IS/VR also not blurr)
    F5.0
    ISO=200

Focal length = 55mm
    Speed = 1/30 (too slow and might cause blurr is handheld , suggest set to 1/60 min)
    F5.6
    ISO=3200

Focal length = 47mm
    Speed = 1/15 (too slow and might cause blurr is handheld , suggest set to 1/50 min)
    F5.6
    ISO=3200
    hi stan, thanks for your teaching ...btw, i did not use tripod at all for these, so probably may cause some handshake.

btw, how come you can tell all the photo information from flickr? is all these information there ?

Quote Originally Posted by orionct View Post
    zerocool, sorry hee, so USM = unsharp mask ?
    i also do not know what is unsharp mask, can you kindly tell me ?
    is it feature with nikon only?
    Haha, Nikon again. It's a sharpening tool in Photoshop. ALL camera brands can use one

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    Your friend quite rubbish lah... Nowadays camera/lens technology so advance, would be rediculous if someone make such comment Nikon sharper then Canon, or Pentax sharper then Sony etc... There are so many factors involved, lens, sensors, motion blur, focusing point, Post processing, etc. All being equal, the most important factors would be the lens. So far in all the independent lens test that I seen so far, it's not evident that Nikon lens is sharper then Canon lens.

From your picture, doesn't seems like it even stretch to the lens sharpness issue, more on technique, framing & focus point. Like some other comments here, your shutter speed is too low to freeze camera shake, that is one reason. Second one that I observed is your choice of point of interest may not be clear, and viewer don't know what you want them to focus on... Some time focal length will also come into play with perceived sharpness. If you shoot a subject from far with a tele lens (200mm eg.), the subject background is blurred, and the subject is sharp in focus, that give a perception of sharpness eventhough the absolute sharpness is the same as another pict. One more observation is the pict of the ants on flower, there is both camera shake as well as too shallow DOF, causing most of the ants to be out of focus...

Equipment limitation normally will come in later, after you had stretched your skill beyond what you equipment is able to deliver. There are great photographer with all different brand of cameras, so it's rubbish to say one camera brand is sharper then another, period.
    hi chopper, good point, appreciated!

Your chinatown pictures are ok, but the botanic gardens pictures, most of them are slightly OOF (probably camera shake)
    Playing with M43.

I am not sure if it is something to do with the camera or the lens or my skill ?
    It has something to do with your friends. Really. The pics look sharp to me. So your friends are saying only sharp photos are good photos ah?

Is generally nikon photo more sharp than canon?
    Hope those friends of yours didn't tell you this

What Chopper and Stan said.

Your photos look fine, with the exception of those that are a bit OOF and shutter speed too slow.

There are differences, between brands, despite what some might say. Think about it - there are inherent material differences, different design parameters and bias, and various engineering differences. I'm not one to get into it but if you're really interested, start with the heart of the matter - the sensor. Read up all you can, but be warned, it's very technical. And if you get caught up in technicalities ... good luck! But, on the other hand, there is a balance that must be struck where technical knowledge and it's practical application is concerned, else you will always be self-limiting.

In real life terms - some of the world's sharpest, most vivid and striking photographs have been taken with Canon equipment ... and Nikon, and Olympus, and Sony and Leica ... and ... and ... and ...

Focal length = 55mm
    Speed = 1/30 (too slow and might cause blurr is handheld , suggest set to 1/60 min)
    F5.6
    ISO=3200
    It is fine if the lens has IS.

Blog Entries

To OP,
    Agreed with general comments. Pics are sharp to me. Just be careful with the speed. Rule of thumb - make sure your shutter speed is at least 1/focal length or faster. Sharpness comparison is subjective. So is camera brand for that matter. Don lose heart. Your shots are great!!

If you're referring to 100% crops, probably yes. Because Canon put 3 LP filter in front of the sensor to prevent artifacts like moire.

But at general viewing size, there shouldn't be any detectable differences in sharpness due to the different cameras used.

Is generally nikon photo more sharp than canon?

hi stan, thanks for your teaching ...btw, i did not use tripod at all for these, so probably may cause some handshake.

btw, how come you can tell all the photo information from flickr? is all these information there ?
    Bros !!!! Not teaching lah.. "pai say" so many "Si Fu" looking leh... we just share and learn from each others as we goes.

Yes... I took all actual data from yr Flickr to comments. It the EXIF data from property lol.

Keep shooting, if have a chance will join you to China Town as I have not been there B4
    Enjoy your every moment with our nature and friends

street shots are sharp...

did you mount the camera on tripod when you took those macro shots? i see your macro photos familiar with mine... i'm suffering from unstable tripod and stupid ballhead (always drift downwards)... so now i always use delayed shutter (or mirror lock up)... for the drifting part, i sometimes use my hand to hold the lens hood...

Quote Originally Posted by stanycjw View Post
    Sorry to interupt, seen your photos in FLICKR and generally it sharp.But notice that you did not follow the rule of thumb for your speed setting. I do not know are you using a tripot throughout. If so it's OK. Otherwise

#0950 (Flickr)
    Focal length = 41mm
    Speed = 1/250 (This is perfect, without IS/VR also not blurr)
    F5.0
    ISO=200

Focal length = 55mm
    F5.6
    ISO=3200

Focal length = 47mm
    Speed = 1/15 (too slow and might cause blurr is handheld , suggest set to 1/50 min)
    F5.6
    ISO=3200
    The iso is already 3200 already..........unless u using ff cam

Chinatown shots look pretty sharp to me.
    Botanical Gardens ones on the other hand, some seems off.
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

The Chinatown pics looks very sharp. Good. But some of the Botanical garden photos especially the flower can be improved. Some are minor shakes like the canonball tree flower.

As you can see, so many CSers say that your photos are sufficiently sharp.
    I agrees too.
    I think your friends are somewhat, idk how to say.
    Nevermind, you will just try it again next time. Right?
    Enjoy your photography yea!
    Clean. Simple. Makes out a good composition.

Quote Originally Posted by jaRv1s View Post
    street shots are sharp...

did you mount the camera on tripod when you took those macro shots? i see your macro photos familiar with mine... i'm suffering from unstable tripod and stupid ballhead (always drift downwards)... so now i always use delayed shutter (or mirror lock up)... for the drifting part, i sometimes use my hand to hold the lens hood...
    nope, i did not use tripod for these macro photos...after all comments from bros, i think tripod is very important now for macro

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast