View Poll Results: Who knows about camera format lengths?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I know about all the camera format off hand!

17 38.64%
  • No, I need to check.

18 40.91%
  • Eh, what is that?

9 20.45%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many of you know about........

I know every single way in the world to make big bucks, does that imply I am a rich man?

Quote Originally Posted by Acieed
    I know every single way in the world to make big bucks, does that imply I am a rich man?
    Erm, actually, it probably does. Either that or you are also extremely lazy/know every single way in the world to be lazy. Tongue seriously in cheek.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    Erm, actually, it probably does. Either that or you are also extremely lazy/know every single way in the world to be lazy. Tongue seriously in cheek.
    So there you go , knowing everything does not mean doing everything right to make things turn out right. Ultimately, it is knowing the right things, doing the right things and getting the right results.

hey, where has the boot licker gone? to face his mama?

Deregistered

Probably flipping books and searching internet in response to Darren's question of sharing... trying to find the answers

Quote Originally Posted by Neo
    I'll bet top photographers in the world such as Michael Yamashita, Annie Leibovitz, Irving Penn, Ansel Adams and others will be so ashamed of themselves for not knowing what photography is about. I guess they're not qualified to talk about photography since I bet they don't know what is the standard length for all the formats...

Duh... grow up...
    Erm...you left out Helmut Newton, Richard Avedon and Robert mapplethorpe to name a few others
    Wissen Sie, wer ich bin?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/yp-wang/

Deregistered

Granted that there are so many different formats, types, etc. I personally feel that knowing what EACH AND EVERY ONE is, is an overkill. As others before this post have put it, the thread starter should share what each of the formats, types is and what it has been traditionally used for and what it is relevant for today.

Otherwise, this kind of start serves no better than flame bait, or worse, an ego-boosting/bruising trip. Changing/multiple nicks is no better - it merely gives me the impression of no integrity.

my 2-cents.
    Last edited by Azure; 14th December 2003 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    If you cannot even answer this, you better go back to your mommy. Some even dare to give lessons without knowing the camera format. So sad! Whether or not you actually use the Large format is another story. This is a basics.

Thosse who claim they know everything knows the least. To know how to be humble in oneself and the willingness to share is to know the most.

Geeee .. I will still like to go back to my mummy, regardless whether or not I know a lot of things in this world.

But ... if you are currently doing your thesis for master degree in this topic, let me contribute my answer : NO.
    I am happy enough if I can help you complete your thesis.

BTW ... if you have time, please ask this question to yourself : "Is my thread useful for everybody?" Just answer Yes or No ... no question, no explanation needed.

Have a good weekend guys and happy shooting !!

i just look through the view finder and if i like what i see, i shoot.
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

i know almost nothing about medium and large formats, but then, what's the point of this thread?

Deregistered

Hmm my post got deleted again. Sigh.

Ok this is a good test of knowledge for all shutter bugs out there. Whether it's DSLR, SLR, Medium Format and Larger Format. I find some CS members do not even know the basics knowledge of camera equivalent lengths of each format. Tell the truth! If you don't know just admit but I guess there is plenty out there would not admit they do not know but would rather say that they are "KNOWLEDGABLE ENOUGH".

What is a standard lens for Medium Format? How about the Large format? Everyone knows 35mm is 50mm. DSLR is around 33.33 (except of course Canon 1Ds is equivalent to a 35mm format CCD)

If you cannot even answer this, you better go back to your mommy. Some even dare to give lessons without knowing the camera format. So sad! Whether or not you actually use the Large format is another story. This is a basics.

If you can answer straight away without looking at some references or going through the net to find out the standard lens of the MF and LF, I would say you are half way there. Congratulations!

NO BANAL TALK. NO EXCEPTION! No explainations. Just say yes or no. Simple as that. If you think that this post is rather offensive to your ego, just stay away. I only want to know who knows and who don't. Don't ask questions as this is a yes and no thread only.

Thank you!
    What's the point of memorizing all the standard focal lengths of all the different film/sensor formats out there if one does not understand the definition of the standard focal length?

With a clear understanding of the definition of standard focal length, one does not have to memorize a bunch of numbers. And being able to recall all those number is nothing worth boasting about.

The rule of thumb for determining the standard focal length is to use the diagonal of the image plane. When a lens with a focal length that is equal to the diagonal of the image plane the field of view is approximately 53, which is close to the field of view of human vision. Thus the standard focal length is also called "normal" focal length. Technically the field of view of a single human eye is around 140 to 180 degrees, but our visual system pays more attention to details in roughly 53 field of vision.

For 35mm film (24mm by 36mm), the diagonal 43.27mm. SO by this definition the standard focal length for the 35mm format should be 43mm. 50mm is close to this measurement so it is considered a standard lens. A 50mm lens produces a 47 diagonal field of on a 35mm film which is close enough to 53 for most practical purposes.

Memorizing all the standard focal lengths is not basics, but knowing the definition of the standard focal length, and understanding the purpose behind such a definiton is, in my view. Also, the basics of photography is a whole lot wider than just the definition of standard lenses. Firstly, why pick the question on standard focal lengths to challenge the entire forum here? What's the big deal about knowing all the standard focal lengths of all the formats? Secondly, will the originator dare to claim that he is totally familiar with all the basics on photography?

I feel that this poll does not serve any useful purpose.

We all all here to share our knowledge and learn from each other. No doubt sometimes I wish that some posters could have done more research before they start to "teach" others here, but most of the time I just tell myself that they are doing this out of goodwill, and I simply provide some corrections if I have a better answer or explanation to the topic being discussed.

In this case I am quite upset to see such a poll being posted.

I don't have much opportunity to interact with CS members in person. The originator of this post may have his own reasons to make such a bold attack here. Maybe he is targeting a few specific individuals and chose not to name them and have the kind of "you should know who I am talking about" thought. If that's the case I must say that action like this seldom gets the intended message across and mostly result in offending a wide audience.

The originator of this post has been giving quite a lot of good and no-nonsense feed back to other members who posted their photos for critiques. That's why this poll came as a surprise to me.
    Last edited by roygoh; 14th December 2003 at 02:05 PM.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    ProImage : As the starter of this thread has said, if this thread is offensive to your ego, just stay away, pls do not reply...
    hi AReality
    i hear where you're coming from, and despite ProImage conveniently placing a disclaimer, it doesn't make it right.

if someone posts high handed, egotistical statements which aims to put others down, a disclaimer telling others to stay away doesn't make it right.

eg: so i can insult your loved ones, family, and then say, if you don't like it, don't listen?

as sulhan, darren and the others stated, position this post as an educational, rather than a ego trip post. it will go down much better.

no intention to inflame here. i did feel like i'd been slapped in the face, "duh, i'm sooo steewpid. i don't know film types, i should hang up my camera"

sheesh.

Deregistered

Like I said.. he's busy researching the internet for the information so that he can 'share' with us...

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh
    ... The originator of this post may have his own reasons to make such a bold attack here. Maybe he is targeting a few specific individuals and chose not to name them and have the kind of "you should know who I am talking about" thought. If that's the case I must say that action like this seldom gets the intended message across and mostly result in offending a wide audience...
    No offence to the moderators like Jed, Roygoh or Sulhan, but I am inclined to believe that the thread starter has a part to play in this fiasco. You reap what you sow. And if you choose to throw your weight around or behave in a disgusting manner, you are bound to get brickbats sooner or later.

I do not doubt that Pro Image is a professional of some sort in, maybe portraitures or something like that. Perhaps, I'd even hazard a guess that he is but that young and inexperienced at dealing with other people, especially hobbyists who may take this kind of thread less happily. Therein, I had opted to treat this poll as humor rather than seriously.

However it seems that things are going bad to worse, Then I'd really hope that maybe, he comes forward to clear up this growing misunderstanding.

Smile

If you can answer straight away without looking at some references or going through the net to find out the standard lens of the MF and LF, I would say you are half way there. Congratulations!

Thank you!
    May I OT on this thread.
    Maybe you have overlooked the fact that all photogs have different ideas on photography. As for me, I go for the contents/subject of a pic. Of course i want to improve the quality of my pics but I do not feel any need to know the FULL technical/knowledge details of the camera, especially of any need for other format except my 35mm. There is also nothing wrong in giving lessons to others even without the full knowledge of camera format since the students are only interested in the basics, which I am sure the teacher must be familair.
    Photography knowledge is a never-ending subject, and it is meant to be learnt, shared and taught. There should be no age-barrier, race, age or nationality, etc problem. The important thing is that each photog must ENJOY and feel happy to share their pics and knoweldge to anyone who is interested to learn from him. Even if you still dont know the basics, do not fret... just try your best. Ignore this "go back to yr mommy" silly mentality!
    I for one get my full satisfaction from all the pics i took for my friends and relatives and develop them at my costs and time and give them away, WITHOUT expecting anything in return. Luckily most of them appreciated, which is enough encouragement for me to improve on my pic-taking skills.

this is a reply to every one that has been watching this thread.. i will be very frank with this reply..

i have to agree with the base sentiment of Pro Image..

i understand his/her anguish at the individuals who conduct learning sessions and do not have a more in depth knowledge of photography.. yet, i disagree on the need for the challenge of the community's technical knowledge of photography..

there are many established professional individuals who couldnt tell you a thing about the f-stop setting or the shutter speed settings.. but this does not discredit them from being excellent photgraphers who can recognise and capture a beautiful picture.. there also are many individuals in this community who could rattle on day and night about the technical aspects of each camera, yet are unable to give a decent shot..

IMO, photography has to be a balance between the technical and the artistic..

back to the initial topic.. YES.. i am able to tell you the approximate focal lengths of each format.. but i am unable to give you a definite answer simply because of the diverse sizes in film formats (namely in medium format)..

to raise an example that most film photographers can relate to.. there has been and will be a vibrant debate on which is the standard lens for the 35mm format.. some swear that the 35mm is the standard lens.. others swear tjhat the 50mm is the standard lens.. it is all a matter of preference.. some people see with a wider view and other see it more narrowly.. i, oddly, deem the 28mm as what my eyes see normally.. the need to have to dictate or set what is the standard is exactly what leads to photographers who will ask questions like, "what kind of shutter speed and aperture should i use to take a picture of a sunrise?"

let's just give this issue up and enjoy photography as we like it to be.. and accept each photographer for his different persectives and views..

-jar0n

sorry... does it matter?

Challenging the entire photography community on their knowledge of technical aspects is an unacceptable childish display of rage.

Great yo'r knowledge is intricate, doesn't mean everyone else has to know as much as you do you know....

Humility is the word man.

Out
    feng

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast