Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Photography - an opium and a delusion?

  1. #1

    Default Photography - an opium and a delusion?

    Hi DSLR/ SLR users,

    Ever reach a stage when you take a look at all those equipment (glass especially) and asked yourself why all the $ and should I quit? Or you just tell yourself...it's too late...too much money...can't get out of it now...

    You reach a point in time when family and other private commitments come in and you watch your equipment go under-utilised and depreciating while the technological clock ticks away...

    Afterall, a lot if us do not make money out of it.

    Would you consider dumping everything and go back and buy a digicam and shoot through an EVF viewfinder again....

    Like to hear your views.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    564

    Default

    When i buy things, i always make sure i am prepared to keep it for a long time...a very long time. Always remember, that once you create a system for your current needs, rebuilding a similar system down the road will take a lot of money. Take care of the equipment, underutilized or not, you're gonna thank your lucky stars you have that SLR sitting in your dry cabinet. I'll never go back to my P&S camera full-time. There are times when a p&s will do, and there are times when an SLR is a must.

    Where time is concerned, how many of us actually have no time left for other things? Just remember to dust off that 17-40L for another road down memory lane.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernLights
    Hi DSLR/ SLR users,

    Ever reach a stage when you take a look at all those equipment (glass especially) and asked yourself why all the $ and should I quit? Or you just tell yourself...it's too late...too much money...can't get out of it now...

    You reach a point in time when family and other private commitments come in and you watch your equipment go under-utilised and depreciating while the technological clock ticks away...

    Afterall, a lot if us do not make money out of it.

    Would you consider dumping everything and go back and buy a digicam and shoot through an EVF viewfinder again....

    Like to hear your views.

    dun think so...after handling a dslr, u will never want to go back to prosumer cams again....it's simply more responsive
    Canon 10D/550D /Sigma 17-50mm/Sigma 30mm/Canon 50mm/Sigma 85mm

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernLights
    Hi DSLR/ SLR users,

    Ever reach a stage when you take a look at all those equipment (glass especially) and asked yourself why all the $ and should I quit? Or you just tell yourself...it's too late...too much money...can't get out of it now...

    You reach a point in time when family and other private commitments come in and you watch your equipment go under-utilised and depreciating while the technological clock ticks away...

    Afterall, a lot if us do not make money out of it.

    Would you consider dumping everything and go back and buy a digicam and shoot through an EVF viewfinder again....

    Like to hear your views.
    Its not an opium and a delusion.
    Its just a hobby, something I like to do..

  5. #5
    Moderator sebastiansong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,556
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    As in any hobby, you could grow overly attached to the point of obsession. Perhaps you need a break from the craft to recharge your batteries or even try a new form of photography like studio (products not necessarily models) or architectural. Learn from books and knowledgeable people.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    desert
    Posts
    363

    Wink

    I do agree, up to certain stage, one may starts to ask, why am I doing all these?
    For hobby? Wat if one day, suddenly other better hobbies takes over? For awards? Exhibitions?

    But I guessed it all boil down to how passionate one is towards photography. Even if it is under utilised, but with proper care and disapline and believes, it probably will not disappoint us. It is still there, waiting for us to use it.

    Once handles SLR, P&S seems like a backup.
    I think I wun go back to P&S full time too. But I never know noe day when will my passion dies..really cannot predict
    Dancing desert scorpion
    :devil:

  7. #7
    ClubSNAP Idol Adam Goi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    5,682

    Default

    A little of both for me.

  8. #8

    Default

    passion and obsession.

    depends on the time of the month

    wakakaka!

  9. #9

    Default

    old topic here but....

    if in the end, u end up with all the equipment u wanted and u wonder why u spent all that money....u definitely took up the wrong hobby....time for the matrix to re-boot dude!

    to me, all that glass should be a means to an end and if a p&s suffices so be it....the equipment should be a extension of your eyes and it is there just to enable you to create/capture the image you want to....if you spend more time agonizing over mtf graphs, sharpness, AF speed, megapixels, resolution etc than making pictures..well, you shouldn't call yourself a photogrpaher, "a painter of light"......

    well, this should stir up enough flames, i'm just waiting for the "what i do with my money is no concern of yours" flames....c'mon boys and girls let her rip!
    CS is getting so boring nowadays!!!!

  10. #10

    Default

    when i used canons...i was shooting happily like a king

    then when i stook a break...i realised once u can shoot, u will want to shoot 4 te rest of ur life

    looking a L glass on display will always relight the adrenalin rush; no matter how rational i try to convince myself of the high price tag.

    there's a saying that goes: life is short, why spend so much on L glass and then die off? your glass is not going to follow u when u go off
    but then think of it this way: if life is short, its actually better to spend the $ on L glass and shoot like no tomorrow! ...

    so..juz buy that dream lens and shoot like a king

    let somebody else complain about the price

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Western Singapore
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clive
    when i used canons...i was shooting happily like a king

    then when i stook a break...i realised once u can shoot, u will want to shoot 4 te rest of ur life

    looking a L glass on display will always relight the adrenalin rush; no matter how rational i try to convince myself of the high price tag.

    there's a saying that goes: life is short, why spend so much on L glass and then die off? your glass is not going to follow u when u go off
    but then think of it this way: if life is short, its actually better to spend the $ on L glass and shoot like no tomorrow! ...

    so..juz buy that dream lens and shoot like a king

    let somebody else complain about the price
    Yes, once you pickup this hobby you want to shoot for the rest of your life. Agree that life is short, save more money and buy a good quality glass like L
    and it is worthy of buying. Me after buying the L, shoot like no tomorrow.

  12. #12

    Default

    Just like growing old and dying, I'm quite prepared for the day I lose interest in photography. Haven't you seen enough WTS camera equipment ads stating: "ownder giving up hobby - selling everything"? Doesn't that tell you something?

    In the meantime, I'm just enjoying taking pictures.

    Some people, when they've completed their collection of "L" glass, will feel they have nothing left to prove, and stop shooting, or go on to other more exotic stuff like Leica and so on. This is a slippery path, because after the initial euphoria of acquiring a new piece of equipment, a feeling of emptiness sets in. It's the same thing when you've just completed a big project, or finished a major exam. Normal human nature - nothing to look forward to anymore leads to depression.

    Sometimes it's good to deprive yourself of equipment so that you can shoot with more passion. I still look back fondly at the pictures I've taken - they have become good friends, long after I have sold my equipment, or it has died on me.

    BTW it really does not matter to me whether the pictures were taken with DSLR, digicam or film cameras. The final result is what counts.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tweakmax
    dun think so...after handling a dslr, u will never want to go back to prosumer cams again....it's simply more responsive
    I have to disagree on this. Sometimes after using a dslr for work and assignments, its a joy to use a digicam (P&S or Prosumer) because of its simplicity.

  14. #14
    Member patch17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    728

    Default

    all this "obsession" with L glass, VR glass, IF, xx megapixels, etc. makes me wonder if photography to most CS members is all about gear.

    i'm not worried about the latest gear, i don't put myself down because i can't afford the newest lenses or bodies, and i don't knock myself out trying to get the latest and so called "greatest" gear. i enjoy my photography because i know i don't worry about that stuff.
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    DEATH*
    Posts
    604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patch17
    all this "obsession" with L glass, VR glass, IF, xx megapixels, etc. makes me wonder if photography to most CS members is all about gear
    You left out something, "One small dot in the lens can cause the pics to be not sharp, colour no good, will have a spot on the pics"...This is something I find funny...

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    HOME
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernLights
    Hi DSLR/ SLR users,

    Ever reach a stage when you take a look at all those equipment (glass especially) and asked yourself why all the $ and should I quit? Or you just tell yourself...it's too late...too much money...can't get out of it now...

    You reach a point in time when family and other private commitments come in and you watch your equipment go under-utilised and depreciating while the technological clock ticks away...

    Afterall, a lot if us do not make money out of it.

    Would you consider dumping everything and go back and buy a digicam and shoot through an EVF viewfinder again....

    Like to hear your views.
    I can volunteer to administer the cold turkey treatment (just pass me all your equipment) if anyone of you want to know if you are adicted......

    Anyway, most hobby are like that, you can spend (invest) a lot of money, not just photography....trying to lay your hand on that prized collectables or limited editions that every other person in the same hobby also have. At least, for the serious photographers, you get to keep the results of all those spendings, THE PRIZED PHOTO CAPTURE BY YOUR CAMERA USING YOUR SKILL.

  17. #17
    Member patch17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vader
    You left out something, "One small dot in the lens can cause the pics to be not sharp, colour no good, will have a spot on the pics"...This is something I find funny...
    sigh...quite outrageous, but true. or the "oh no, there's one, (count it ONE) dead pixel on my CCD!", i mean out of a few odd MILLION pixels, one dead one ruins the entire thing. (photoshop it my good man, phtoshop it...)

    when i'm out with my camera i do get obsessed, i'm obsessed about lighting, shadows, highlights, texture, emotions, feelings, shapes, colour, harmony, contrast, disharmony, etc. it's like a drug (opium) and i'm in this wonderful psychedelic world that i don't want to leave. and when i run out of film, i come back down again, only to wait with great anticiaption for the next session.
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patch17
    when i'm out with my camera i do get obsessed, i'm obsessed about lighting, shadows, highlights, texture, emotions, feelings, shapes, colour, harmony, contrast, disharmony, etc. it's like a drug (opium) and i'm in this wonderful psychedelic world that i don't want to leave. and when i run out of film, i come back down again, only to wait with great anticiaption for the next session.

    Amen to that. Looking forward to shooting with you again someday.

  19. #19

    Default

    For me:
    1) Family comes first (e.g. shopping with wife, though boring and sometimes cost more than equipment, supercedes any exciting photographic opportunity)
    2) Involve them slowly (I involve my wife slowly into photography, teaching her, letting her take photos instead of me, they oblige the way we oblige to listening about their excitement on fashion sales)
    3) Set budget for hobby (Set realistic budget, to me it is no more than 4% of my take home pay, to some L lens becomes affordable, to others impossible)
    4) Do not valuate the price of hobby (It will always make the hobby seem expensive)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •