Thread: Help needed on optimal camera settings for external flash for indoor photos

Default Help needed on optimal camera settings for external flash for indoor photos

Hi CS members...

I am new to CS and certainly quite new to flash photography. Would like to seek for some advice on which optimal exposure mode setting (A,Tv or M etc) I should use with external flash when taking event pictures for indoors to get good exposure all the time? Especially when I am using bounced flash (if low ceiling) or using a flash diffuser like lightsphere?

Most of the time I have to stick to using P mode because the shutter speed always appear too slow when I switch to A mode and the pictures becomes overexposed. How can I control the right exposure if the flash is not pointing at the subject?

I am using a Canon 350D & 420EX, thanks

Default Re: Help needed on optimal camera settings for external flash for indoor photos

The optimum setting are a well-kept secret. Only the inner circle of the guilds of light masters and lens grinders is entitled to know about it. After serving many years in dark chambers and attending many secret gatherings ... only then they learn that the "holy grail of optimum settings" is volatile, changes from one second to the next and everyone sees it in a different light
    Your workaround could be:
    1) Learn about exposure (There is a guide in Newbies Section, go and study about ISO, shutter speed, aperture)
    2) Learn how your camera works (here: metering modes, 18% gray) and how to operate it (setting parameters, see manual)
    3) Learn about flash as source of light (main source, fill flash)
    4) Learn how your camera works with flash (metering)
    Keep in mind: your camera cannot read your mind, but it can meter and focus very fast. You need to tell your camera how to apply these 'skills' on a given scene based on the existing light or the light you are going to add.
    Canon Flash to read up: http://www.photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

Default Re: Help needed on optimal camera settings for external flash for indoor photos

Thank you Octarine for the advice and informative links
    EOS350D w BG-E3|T17-50 f2.8|T90 f2.8 Macro|Sig30 f1.4 HSM|EF70-200 F4L|420EX|Tumax