Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 55

Thread: Worth Upgrading to Full Frame

  1. #21
    Senior Member cichlid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    S'pore
    Posts
    5,060

    Default Re: Worth Upgrading to Full Frame

    Besides improvement in noise, I believe the bokeh and subject seperation is better with the bigger sensor.

    I want FF for these 2 reasons alone

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Worth Upgrading to Full Frame

    Quote Originally Posted by cichlid View Post
    Besides improvement in noise, I believe the bokeh and subject seperation is better with the bigger sensor.

    I want FF for these 2 reasons alone
    It's pretty obvious in FF.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Worth Upgrading to Full Frame

    Its strange how this type of topic generate lots of response. .

  4. #24

    Default Re: Worth Upgrading to Full Frame

    Came across an article about this topic.

    http://www.popphoto.com/Features/The...Frame-Decision

  5. #25
    Senior Member TheChef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Where the action is
    Posts
    2,304

    Default Re: Worth Upgrading to Full Frame

    Get Canon G9 if you like to shoot macro. It can focus at 1cm from the subject.
    S5Pro|S3Pro|D50|16-85VR2|70-200VR|80-400VR|S50f1.4|105f2|135f2|SB900|SB80DX

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Worth Upgrading to Full Frame

    Quote Originally Posted by TheChef View Post
    Get Canon G9 if you like to shoot macro. It can focus at 1cm from the subject.
    Though 1cm (i used to have S5 IS which is 0cm), it's still far from 1:1.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Worth Upgrading to Full Frame

    Hi OT abit. Wanna know reasons why ppl wanna change to FF. Any strong reason? erm... i still very new here so tends to ask 'stuipd' question. Cos i know that DX body do have some excellent lens. Not that FF dosent have great lens. But lens like tokina 11-16 (jus an example. i know there are many more), i believe it wun work well with FF rite? Wouldn't the choice of FF lens be more limited? And more expensive? Sorry for the noob question.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Worth Upgrading to Full Frame

    Quote Originally Posted by ChenGuy View Post
    Hi OT abit. Wanna know reasons why ppl wanna change to FF. Any strong reason? erm... i still very new here so tends to ask 'stuipd' question. Cos i know that DX body do have some excellent lens. Not that FF dosent have great lens. But lens like tokina 11-16 (jus an example. i know there are many more), i believe it wun work well with FF rite? Wouldn't the choice of FF lens be more limited? And more expensive? Sorry for the noob question.
    The Tokina 11-16 is for cropped bodies. FF lenses of the equivalent type usually is more costly. For example, Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 to Tokina 12-24 f/4 II, one is $1300+ while the other $1100+
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Worth Upgrading to Full Frame

    Quote Originally Posted by ChenGuy View Post
    Hi OT abit. Wanna know reasons why ppl wanna change to FF. Any strong reason? erm... i still very new here so tends to ask 'stuipd' question. Cos i know that DX body do have some excellent lens. Not that FF dosent have great lens. But lens like tokina 11-16 (jus an example. i know there are many more), i believe it wun work well with FF rite? Wouldn't the choice of FF lens be more limited? And more expensive? Sorry for the noob question.
    Actually... there's more choices for FF lens. What do you think those shooting with film use?

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default Re: Worth Upgrading to Full Frame

    Quote Originally Posted by cutecdo View Post
    Actually... there's more choices for FF lens. What do you think those shooting with film use?
    technically there're less choices for FF compared to those DX/cropped bodies.... since there're specific lenses made for the latter that can't really be used properly on FF. that said, there're more than enough lenses out there to satisfy almost every need, whether FF or not.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Worth Upgrading to Full Frame

    Quote Originally Posted by mpenza View Post
    technically there're less choices for FF compared to those DX/cropped bodies.... since there're specific lenses made for the latter that can't really be used properly on FF. that said, there're more than enough lenses out there to satisfy almost every need, whether FF or not.
    I tend to think that lens made for cropped sensors are there to fulfill the role of a FF lens equivalent most of the time. Of course there are lenses in a range whereby there's no FF equivalent but those are few.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Worth Upgrading to Full Frame

    Quote Originally Posted by cutecdo View Post
    I tend to think that lens made for cropped sensors are there to fulfill the role of a FF lens equivalent most of the time. Of course there are lenses in a range whereby there's no FF equivalent but those are few.
    maybe u'd like to enlighten me with the lens where there is no FF equivalent?

    i can name a few lenses without aps-c though.
    Last edited by bengchiat; 19th July 2009 at 09:02 AM.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Worth Upgrading to Full Frame

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    The Tokina 11-16 is for cropped bodies. FF lenses of the equivalent type usually is more costly. For example, Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 to Tokina 12-24 f/4 II, one is $1300+ while the other $1100+
    believe the tokina is an aps-c lens.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Worth Upgrading to Full Frame

    Quote Originally Posted by KY1977 View Post
    Just curious. Anyone spotted differences in photo quality/noise level when upgrading from crop to FF?
    I own a 350D. I rented a 5D once for its high ISO, low noise capability. I was more than impressed with the results.

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,922

    Default Re: Worth Upgrading to Full Frame

    Actually... I noticed Canon digital images has more shadow noise than Nikon's. Well, during post production, I tend to push up the exposure in the shadows and Canon one's are just ugly when viewed at 100%. But not noticable during prints la but that's my observation only. Cheers!

  16. #36

    Default Re: Worth Upgrading to Full Frame

    get a good micro lens and a tripod....no need to upgrade to FF just to shoot flowers.

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Worth Upgrading to Full Frame

    Quote Originally Posted by bengchiat View Post
    believe the tokina is an aps-c lens.
    Yeah that's what i said earlier.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Worth Upgrading to Full Frame

    Quote Originally Posted by mebius View Post

    My friend who bought a 5D Mark II said that pictures taken are worst than his 40D because Full Frame cameras have more noise & in terms of picture quality , there is no improvement.
    I really think your fren got some motive for telling you this...

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: Worth Upgrading to Full Frame

    Quote Originally Posted by mebius View Post
    My friend who bought a 5D Mark II said that pictures taken are worst than his 40D because Full Frame cameras have more noise & in terms of picture quality , there is no improvement.
    5D MkII is like the emperor's clothes, only people with intelligence can see the difference.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Worth Upgrading to Full Frame

    Quote Originally Posted by bengchiat View Post
    maybe u'd like to enlighten me with the lens where there is no FF equivalent?

    i can name a few lenses without aps-c though.
    How about the Nikkor 18-200mm? I know Sigma has one but is a digital lens. I don't know if Nikon have a FF equivalent for this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •