Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 65

Thread: moon shots using D5000

  1. #41
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: moon shots using D5000

    Quote Originally Posted by StrifeYun View Post
    nice ! handheld shots !!

    hmm, i believe th moon rotates same speed as it moves round the earth .. thats y we always see the same side . and the moon moves at an angle of 15 digrees per hour.
    use high shutter and about f11-16, increase ur iso should not be too bad.

    some old shots , i realise IS does help ! hehe

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showp...58&postcount=1

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showp...07&postcount=1
    Beautiful! I noticed you use a teleconverter. You racked it out to 400mm?
    How high is your shutter speed?
    And how high is your ISO?

  2. #42
    Member kikiaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cant Recall
    Posts
    197

    Default Re: moon shots using D5000

    Here's mine


  3. #43

    Default Re: moon shots using D5000

    wow, your moons are so round .. quickly bring out the mooncakes!

  4. #44

    Default Re: moon shots using D5000

    kikiaw - what glass are you using that can go so close ...

  5. #45
    Member vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    922

    Default Re: moon shots using D5000

    Quote Originally Posted by phazed1 View Post
    Hi Vince, does your Celestron have a motor drive? The telescope's tripod needs to be pretty sturdy for you to mount a camera on it and still maintain the view you want right?
    Yeah I have the original Celestron GEQ mount with motor-drive. However, for shots of the moon, it's not required since the shots are done with a shutter speed of about 1/60sec. But I do also use a Gitzo tripod that can hold the weight of both the scope and camera.
    Wissen Sie, wer ich bin?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/yp-wang/

  6. #46

    Default Re: moon shots using D5000

    Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Yeah I have the original Celestron GEQ mount with motor-drive. However, for shots of the moon, it's not required since the shots are done with a shutter speed of about 1/60sec. But I do also use a Gitzo tripod that can hold the weight of both the scope and camera.
    Hi Vince, does it mean that your Gitzo is attached to your DSLR, which is connected to your Celestron at the eyepiece adaptor, and the Celestron is not on its own tripod but hanging in the air? Sorry if this sounds dumb, I'm trying to improve my own setup but have no idea how to do it.

  7. #47
    Member kikiaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cant Recall
    Posts
    197

    Default Re: moon shots using D5000

    Quote Originally Posted by phazed1 View Post
    kikiaw - what glass are you using that can go so close ...
    Im using this Sigma 18-250mm @250mm with 100% crop.

  8. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jurong East
    Posts
    892

    Default Re: moon shots using D5000

    Hi, here mine. Shoot this sometime ago.

    This one using 700mm telescope
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519175

    This using Digiscoping with Celestron C90MAK
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502010

    So long never do Astro ever since sold my equips.

  9. #49
    Member darkspore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: moon shots using D5000

    Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    At a shutter speed of slower than 1/100, won't you be experiencing blurring as the revolution movement of the moon and earth is magnified at the zoom focal length?
    The reason why I asked this was, I tried a shot at 300mm with shutter of 1/60, and got soft pictures of the moon.
    This is one of a series of shots that I tried:


    Aperture: f 5.6
    Shutter speed: 1/60 s
    ISO: 50
    Mode: Program Mode
    Metering: Spot metering
    Tripod
    PP (Post processing): Cropped. Sharpened by 30%.

    Still blur. Can yourselves and anyone advise me?
    Thanks.
    As I understand it, the moon is actually very bright as it is reflecting light from the sun. An aperture of f/11 or narrower is usually used - cuts down amount of light and great DOF. Need the longest zoom you have and a solid tripod. If you have VR or IS, recommend turning it off.

    I just don't think you should use P mode. Try manual settings - more rewarding too

  10. #50

    Default Re: moon shots using D5000

    Quote Originally Posted by darkspore View Post
    As I understand it, the moon is actually very bright as it is reflecting light from the sun. An aperture of f/11 or narrower is usually used - cuts down amount of light and great DOF. Need the longest zoom you have and a solid tripod. If you have VR or IS, recommend turning it off.

    I just don't think you should use P mode. Try manual settings - more rewarding too
    At that distance... DOF is less of a worry than lens sharpness and contrast.
    Alpha

  11. #51
    Senior Member StrifeYun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Rivervale Drive
    Posts
    2,216

    Default Re: moon shots using D5000

    Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Beautiful! I noticed you use a teleconverter. You racked it out to 400mm?
    How high is your shutter speed?
    And how high is your ISO?
    thanks , i try to get at lease 250 for shutter, iso about 200-400.
    sry can't remember the exact settings.

    my 90mmmak telescope spoil its a 1250mm telescope. if not can try again.
    nxt time will try again with my 700mm telescope.

    Quote Originally Posted by phazed1 View Post
    wow, your moons are so round .. quickly bring out the mooncakes!
    yum yum
    Canon EOS "Luxury"
    [flickr]

  12. #52

    Default Re: moon shots using D5000

    Read an article that says the sunny f16 rule which applies for sun lit objects applies for the moon as well. Can give it a try

  13. #53
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: moon shots using D5000

    Quote Originally Posted by raymond350 View Post
    Read an article that says the sunny f16 rule which applies for sun lit objects applies for the moon as well. Can give it a try
    Ok, thanks for the advice. Would try.
    Quote Originally Posted by StrifeYun View Post
    thanks , i try to get at lease 250 for shutter, iso about 200-400.
    sry can't remember the exact settings.
    Ok. Will give this a try too. Thanks so much for your advice.

  14. #54
    Member vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    922

    Default Re: moon shots using D5000

    Quote Originally Posted by phazed1 View Post
    Hi Vince, does it mean that your Gitzo is attached to your DSLR, which is connected to your Celestron at the eyepiece adaptor, and the Celestron is not on its own tripod but hanging in the air? Sorry if this sounds dumb, I'm trying to improve my own setup but have no idea how to do it.
    Actually, the camera is mounted on the scope and the scope is mounted onto the plate of the gitzo. In essence, the camera is hanging off being held only by the lens mount to the telescope which is then mounted on the tripod.

    This is how large lenses similar to telescopes are mounted on tripods (eg, 300mm - 800mm lenses)
    Wissen Sie, wer ich bin?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/yp-wang/

  15. #55

    Default Re: moon shots using D5000

    Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Actually, the camera is mounted on the scope and the scope is mounted onto the plate of the gitzo. In essence, the camera is hanging off being held only by the lens mount to the telescope which is then mounted on the tripod.

    This is how large lenses similar to telescopes are mounted on tripods (eg, 300mm - 800mm lenses)
    i see ... thanks!

  16. #56

    Default Re: moon shots using D5000

    Here's my shot of the full moon, using D90 with kit lens. Nowhere near the magnification and details of the excellent moon shots in this thread though.

    Last edited by Valjean; 6th August 2009 at 12:22 AM.

  17. #57
    Member eosandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Land of smiles
    Posts
    842

    Default Re: moon shots using D5000

    Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Well, yes it was tripod-ed and timer released.
    I could not understand.
    I tried using aperture of 11 up to 22. But the corresponding slowing of shutter speed for some reason caused the moon to be over-exposed.
    My ISO is already at its lowest at 50.
    Therefore I am truly wondering what else have I missed.
    It was AF, not MF. But at infinity focusing is not an issue at all.

    I believe your are right to say that there is some movement. But if I was already tripod-ed and timer released, then the only possible movment must have been from the moon itself, which led me to conlcude that at 1/60 the moon movement may be the cause.
    You could try mirror lock-up function if available, to further reduce possibility of shake during exposure.
    Learning DSLR control http://stormtrigger.blogspot.com/

  18. #58
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: moon shots using D5000

    Quote Originally Posted by eosandy View Post
    You could try mirror lock-up function if available, to further reduce possibility of shake during exposure.
    Hi eosandy, after perusing the several moon shot threads, I am beginning to get a better idea of how to go about getting sharper pictures. My problem was:
    1. shutter speed to slow at 1/60 because at max zoom of 300mm the moon movement would cause blurness. I suspected that, but didn't have the guts to shoot faster.
    2. Really need to use sweet spot f/8 or f/11.
    3. Have to adjust ISO higher accordingly. My 5DMkII can safely go up to 1600-3200 with tolerable noise. The 50D can still up to 1600. 400D once hit iso 800, cannot make it already.
    4. Turn off all IS/VR. Do an AF first. Then turn AF to MF and do fine MF and leave it there. This is so that no more movement from AF can take place.
    5. Lock the mirror. Thus all possible shakes are down to a minimum.
    6. Cable release.

  19. #59
    Member eosandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Land of smiles
    Posts
    842

    Default Re: moon shots using D5000

    Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Hi eosandy, after perusing the several moon shot threads, I am beginning to get a better idea of how to go about getting sharper pictures. My problem was:
    1. shutter speed to slow at 1/60 because at max zoom of 300mm the moon movement would cause blurness. I suspected that, but didn't have the guts to shoot faster.
    2. Really need to use sweet spot f/8 or f/11.
    3. Have to adjust ISO higher accordingly. My 5DMkII can safely go up to 1600-3200 with tolerable noise. The 50D can still up to 1600. 400D once hit iso 800, cannot make it already.
    4. Turn off all IS/VR. Do an AF first. Then turn AF to MF and do fine MF and leave it there. This is so that no more movement from AF can take place.
    5. Lock the mirror. Thus all possible shakes are down to a minimum.
    6. Cable release.
    I'd replace the cable release with an IR type, or go with the self-timer. No moving parts = no shake.
    Learning DSLR control http://stormtrigger.blogspot.com/

  20. #60

    Default Re: moon shots using D5000

    By any chance any of u took these from Toh Guan Park?...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •