Thread: winter in turkey

Default winter in turkey

anyone travel turkey in winter before?

I am planning a trip there in dec for 3 weeks
    but got some information from lonely planet that most places outside istanbul is close during winter.

thought i still hope to go during winter as it also means there will be less tourist around, but i dont want to put myself in the position that when I am there and everything else is close and I have no where to go.

so hoping anybody who have been there can give some advise not just for travel turkey in winter but some suggestion for itinerary or places that a must go for photographers will be welcome too.

Default Re: winter in turkey

I was in Turkey during Jan 2009. Went to Istanbul and Cappadocia due to time constraint (7 days only).. It's great to visit the mosques during winter because there isn't much crowd..

Over at Cappadocia, we went for a local tour.. As it's the low-season, it's very nice to admire the attractions without the tourist crowd.. If you want to indulge a little more, try staying at one of the cave hotels.. it's a nice experience

Weather is quite unpredictable during winter.. We were very lucky to have superb weather on the day we arranged for the hot-air balloon flight at Cappadocia (day before and after were very cold and cloudy).. It's a must try, though it's quite costly.. If I remember correctly, it's 150euros for 1 hour if I am not wrong.. including transfers from/to hotel, a light breakfast, champagne celebration, insurance and flight certificates..

1 thing to note.. As it's winter, you won't be getting much daylight.. So you have to rush if you want to cover more places..

*It's already 6 months since i've returned, but I haven't even edited the images yet So this photo has not been PP yet, just resize only.

Quote Originally Posted by paapoopa View Post
    anyone travel turkey in winter before?

I am planning a trip there in dec for 3 weeks
    but got some information from lonely planet that most places outside istanbul is close during winter.

thought i still hope to go during winter as it also means there will be less tourist around, but i dont want to put myself in the position that when I am there and everything else is close and I have no where to go.

so hoping anybody who have been there can give some advise not just for travel turkey in winter but some suggestion for itinerary or places that a must go for photographers will be welcome too.
    Last edited by behyx; 14th July 2009 at 01:21 AM.

even without PP its looking great.

150 euros for the hot air balloon ride is quite costly but i guess the experience is well worth the money spend.
    you were saying about shorter daytime during winter.
    if you still remember roughly how long is the day light? what time does the sun rise and sets?
    was it really really cold?
    do you have to pre book the cave hotel that you stay in?

hi.. i was there earlier this year in jan as well..
    its winter.. n it can b pretty cold..
    but its defitniely doable n very nice as well
    it was a family trip.. so we took up a package.. cant help u much on yur itinerary..
    but pics wise is definitly worth it..
    some of my stuffs are here http://www.pbase.com/will03/turkey

Quote Originally Posted by Will03 View Post
    hi.. i was there earlier this year in jan as well..
    its winter.. n it can b pretty cold..
    but its defitniely doable n very nice as well
    it was a family trip.. so we took up a package.. cant help u much on yur itinerary..
    but pics wise is definitly worth it..
    some of my stuffs are here http://www.pbase.com/will03/turkey
    yap, I saw your photos posted here before, and I must say they are really great.
    and it was actually some of your pictures that give me a push to go for turkey.

care to share what gears did you brought there?

Quote Originally Posted by paapoopa View Post
    yap, I saw your photos posted here before, and I must say they are really great.
    and it was actually some of your pictures that give me a push to go for turkey.

care to share what gears did you brought there?
    hhaha.. ic ic.. thanks..
    hmm.. as for gear.. erm.. i usually bring alot for my trips..
    12-24,24,50,135,300 5Dmk2,5D, a horizon perfect, and a mamiya 7II..

Quote Originally Posted by Will03 View Post
    hhaha.. ic ic.. thanks..
    hmm.. as for gear.. erm.. i usually bring alot for my trips..
    12-24,24,50,135,300 5Dmk2,5D, a horizon perfect, and a mamiya 7II..
    wow, u need to carry a big bag for those.