Hello all ,
I am quite new here and this is my first post. I have actually been lurking around the forum absorbing whatever knowledge I can find about photography.
As it is my interest to seriously pick up photography, I've researched, studied, learnt and also did some hands on with some DSLR I borrowed from my friends. SO, it's about time I'm going to get one.
However, before my purchase; I do have just a tiny bit of problem regarding my decision on whether or not the get a dry cabinet. I understand that there's many information about the need for dry cabinets around the web. Still, I think it would be better if I seek some personal advise here from CS Community .
As I am still new in photography and getting my first DSLR (A200 with 2 kit lens). I have a few questions I'd like to ask:
- With my current setup (Just a body and 2 lenses) is it still necessary to have a dry cabinet?
- Is is alright if I just place my camera and lenses on a table top.
- How sensitive are DSLRs' and lenses are to fungus infection? I mean are they that "infectious"?
- What is average life span of my equipment before fungus infection if I were to leave it on my table top when not in use? I live on the 7th story if that matters .
- Do you know of any photographers who do not store their equipment in a dry cabinet/silica gel/thirsty hippo/DIY storage and never encounter problems with fungus before?
I understand most of you will advise me to get a dry cabinet as I will still need it in future when I upgrade/purchase more lenses etc.
I apologise for this really really long post, but I have been wondering about this question for quite some time. I'd appreciate any suggestions or feedback all of you can provide .
Thank you !