Thread: Difference between MPEG and Quick Time Motion JPEG

Default Difference between MPEG and Quick Time Motion JPEG

Digital Cameras now come with movie recording capability. However in the market, there are basically 2 different formats of movie recordings. MPEG used by Sony, and Quick Time Motion JPEG used by Canon, Nikon, Olympus etc.

Just wondering what are the differences between the 2 formats?
    Which format produces better quality?
    Which format is more storage efficient?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    Digital Cameras now come with movie recording capability. However in the market, there are basically 2 different formats of movie recordings. MPEG used by Sony, and Quick Time Motion JPEG used by Canon, Nikon, Olympus etc.

Just wondering what are the differences between the 2 formats?
    Which format produces better quality?
    Which format is more storage efficient?

Thanks!
    The M-Jpeg format used by Canon etc is generally considered a higher quality format than that the Mpeg format used by Sony. I understand that the higher quality translates to larger bitrates and file sizes, and is one of the reasons / considerations why Canon does not offer an "unlimited time" video recording feature.

(Caveat -ultimately, the quality/file size will depend on the amount of compression used. The level of compression for video clips seems to be fixed by the manufacturer and not user-adjustable. Above comments based from a casual comparison i did 1 yr back with video clips from a sony P9 and canon S45).

Some pple may be confused about the "avi" format. Avi is just a generic "container for video files and not a 'format' per se. An avi video file may be encoded with any variety of codecs (compression algorithms) eg, dvix, xvid, mjpeg etc. Your computer will need to have the appropriate codec before you can playback the avi file.

Hope my (very) limited knowledge of this helps!