Thread: A little help with what everything means in a lens name

Default A little help with what everything means in a lens name

For example, "AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED"

I know what the basics like 18-135 mm. I know the f/3.5-5.6 (or at least I think I do). But the big things:

What does the G stand for being the f-stop

What does the "IF-ED" mean?

What does the "AF-S" mean?

Any info on this stuff, or even if you can direct me to some resource that shows me all this stuff; (anytime I try googling any of these terms I just get sites with reviews or selling lenses with those aspects.)

Thanks in advances guys.

Default Re: A little help with what everything means in a lens name

That's too obvious, right Or are we expecting too much from homo interretiatus? (Source)

Blog Entries

wonder why do we even bother to sticky something when no one reads... sigh...

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411772
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    wonder why do we even bother to sticky something when no one reads... sigh...

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411772
    I read!! i have referred to it a few times already..

Because the word ignorant exists in the dictionary.

Because common sense is a rare commodity. It would make sense to read the manual, check the nikon website, google or search on the forums...
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by bandapear View Post
    For example, "AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED"

I know what the basics like 18-135 mm. I know the f/3.5-5.6 (or at least I think I do). But the big things:

What does the G stand for being the f-stop

What does the "IF-ED" mean?

What does the "AF-S" mean?

Any info on this stuff, or even if you can direct me to some resource that shows me all this stuff; (anytime I try googling any of these terms I just get sites with reviews or selling lenses with those aspects.)

Thanks in advances guys.
    G - means no aperture ring (unlike 'D' lenses)
    IF - Internal Focusing (length of lens does not change as focusing distance changes)
    ED - Extra Low dispersion glass => basically some specially produced glass to improve image quality
    AF-S - silent wave motor - quicker/more silent focusing using an in-built motor within the lens (compared with AF-D, which focuses the lens by relying on a screw-driven motor in the camera body)
    Last edited by scenar; 11th July 2009 at 10:51 PM.

AF-S - silent wave motor - quicker/more silent focusing using an in-built motor within the lens (compared with AF-D, which focuses the lens by relying on a screw-driven motor in the camera body)
    I think AF-S actually means that the autofocus motor is contained within the lens, not the camera body - that's all. For example the 18-55mm DX kit lens also has the AF-S designation but I think it is driven by a micromotor or something like that and doesn't have full-time manual focusing.
    5D Mk II | TS-E 17L | 17-40L | 24-105L IS | 35L | 85L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 100L Macro | 580EX II

Quote Originally Posted by frankchn View Post
    I think AF-S actually means that the autofocus motor is contained within the lens, not the camera body - that's all. For example the 18-55mm DX kit lens also has the AF-S designation but I think it is driven by a micromotor or something like that and doesn't have full-time manual focusing.
    SWM has a few variants too, just like how USM has Ring USM, Ring USM II, Micro USM and so on.