Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: How to make self timer for nikon D90?

  1. #1

    Default How to make self timer for nikon D90?

    Hi all.

    I have never use SLR before but my best friend is getting married on Aug 1. As he does not have $$ to engage a photographer for his wedding, therefore, I borrow a SLR from a friend. Her SLR is a nikon D90.

    Can someone pls tell me how do I set self timer for this camera? I see the logo on the right but cant seem to work when I work on it.

    Also, If anyone here can borrow me a tripod just for that day, I will greatly appreciate it!

    Many thanks!

    Regards
    Jerry

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    509

    Default Re: How to make self timer for nikon D90?

    hi jerry, press that button and hold it there, and then use the scroll near your thumb (the one facing you) to select into self timed shots mode. that's it!

    anyway, i suggest your friend reconsider on 'hiring' you. weddings are such important events, no offence but can you imagine if you fail to take good pictures for your friend?! that would be such a disaster on your part and theirs. you will be so disappointed with yourself that you failed to help him and they will cry when they realise that they have no good wedding photos to show for..considering that you have NEVER used a slr before, unless you practise like mad now with the D90 and read up like mad too on photography, it is unlikely that you will capture the best pictures for your friend...adding on, shooting during weddings is so tricky (you need to shoot darn fast cause everything happens only once, there are no retakes!!) and you need the right equipment (flash,lens,etc.) and pardon me if i am wrong, you seem to have none of those things cause you don't even have a camera..ah!! i pity your situation but i think a pro is needed for your friend unless they don't mind sub standard pictures.

    p.s. if you feel offended by my views, please don't feel that way, i am just giving my honest opinion on the gravity of the decision you have made. and personally, i feel very strongly about weddings and how they are so special and happens once in a lifetime (hopefully, i guess!) cheers!

  3. #3

    Default Re: How to make self timer for nikon D90?

    yes weddings are particularly tricky to photograph, even with decent equipment... but if you've done it before just ignore this
    d850 | a7r3 | I1P | P4P | Videos | Photos | Aerials

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    509

    Default Re: How to make self timer for nikon D90?

    Quote Originally Posted by mayhemics View Post
    yes weddings are particularly tricky to photograph, even with decent equipment... but if you've done it before just ignore this
    he has never done it before, unless he covered a wedding even with a PnS...he said he has never used a slr before...this is crazy!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: How to make self timer for nikon D90?

    hi there,

    its not really crazy la, anyway get the instructions manual of the d90 from your friend your borrowed in from..

    as for the wedding just snap away, i'm sure your friend wont blame you if the photos dont turn out very good

    Joel

  6. #6
    Member nice1888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    246

    Default Re: How to make self timer for nikon D90?

    Quote Originally Posted by sidloojl View Post
    hi jerry, press that button and hold it there, and then use the scroll near your thumb (the one facing you) to select into self timed shots mode. that's it!

    anyway, i suggest your friend reconsider on 'hiring' you. weddings are such important events, no offence but can you imagine if you fail to take good pictures for your friend?! that would be such a disaster on your part and theirs. you will be so disappointed with yourself that you failed to help him and they will cry when they realise that they have no good wedding photos to show for..considering that you have NEVER used a slr before, unless you practise like mad now with the D90 and read up like mad too on photography, it is unlikely that you will capture the best pictures for your friend...adding on, shooting during weddings is so tricky (you need to shoot darn fast cause everything happens only once, there are no retakes!!) and you need the right equipment (flash,lens,etc.) and pardon me if i am wrong, you seem to have none of those things cause you don't even have a camera..ah!! i pity your situation but i think a pro is needed for your friend unless they don't mind sub standard pictures.

    p.s. if you feel offended by my views, please don't feel that way, i am just giving my honest opinion on the gravity of the decision you have made. and personally, i feel very strongly about weddings and how they are so special and happens once in a lifetime (hopefully, i guess!) cheers!

    Totally agree to sidloojl. TS, please re-consider and tell your friends the situation you are in.
    I don't think you want to hear like "ya lor, this friend photographer not very good, that's why make all this mistake, never take this moment and that moment, take lesser picture of my family and take more picture for another family, most of the picture got no eye-contact etc..., however, never mind, he's our good friend, we ask him to be the photographer because we got no budget " Sad right, if you heard this.
    Maybe, your friend are not demanding type. But what if their friend/relative commented your photograph negatively. Moreover you have collected their parents Ang Pows for being the photographer. You will feel regret to your friends even your this good friend don't blame you.

    My advice, think twice.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    509

    Default Re: How to make self timer for nikon D90?

    so you would trust your wedding to a newbie photographer?! i guess people have different opinions on how important weddings are...

  8. #8
    Member nice1888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    246

    Default Re: How to make self timer for nikon D90?

    Worse, what if you accidently damaged your girlfriend Nikon D90 DSLR on that day. FYI, body alone cost S$1450-S$1500.
    Even though not damaged, only some slight scratches. How are you going to explain to your girlfriend? For me, even a minor scratch on my beloved camera body, my heart feel so pain. How's your girlfriend feel if she found minor scratches on her DSLR camera?

  9. #9
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: How to make self timer for nikon D90?

    when couples have no requirement or expectation on wedding photography, we can suggest somethings or whatever things, however, ultimately, that is people choice, let them be and respect their decision.

    btw, on the big day, sure will have a lots of aunties making comments like why never do this, never do that, why don't have this don't have that. just smile at them and switch off your ears will do.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  10. #10

    Default Re: How to make self timer for nikon D90?

    Hi all! thanx for ur reply....

    This is the situation. My fren is kinda 'broke' for this wedding... if u all noe wat i mean... And he's skipping alot of things like hiring a chauffer, a photographer for this wedding just so that he can save abit of money. He dun even serve hard liqour on his wedding banquet... coz no $

    So, as brothers, wat to do? We jump out and try to capture as many photos as we can lorz.... And yar, photos might not be well taken I agree. But, @ least, we capture some of his wedding photos for him... Better den not having any photos rite?

  11. #11
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: How to make self timer for nikon D90?

    don't worry, I have seen these many times, some just simple don't have money, some just set the wrong priority. for whatever reasons, life will still goes on.

    anyway, I know many people willing to help, you may get some PM from volunteers. can keep the option open so you will not be to stressful of shooting the wedding.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    509

    Default Re: How to make self timer for nikon D90?

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrycoaching View Post
    Hi all! thanx for ur reply....

    This is the situation. My fren is kinda 'broke' for this wedding... if u all noe wat i mean... And he's skipping alot of things like hiring a chauffer, a photographer for this wedding just so that he can save abit of money. He dun even serve hard liqour on his wedding banquet... coz no $

    So, as brothers, wat to do? We jump out and try to capture as many photos as we can lorz.... And yar, photos might not be well taken I agree. But, @ least, we capture some of his wedding photos for him... Better den not having any photos rite?
    hey,you're welcome, figured out the timer thing??

    yeah,if it is a monetary issue, then it can't be helped..there just isn't much to work with.and i have to respect your decision..all i can say to you is to please go get the manual, read up on wedding photography and practise hard man. do the best for your brother, nothing but your best on his all important day and then i am sure your bro and nobody else can say anything

    p.s. needless to say, if a pro can be hired, please seriously consider taking it up, more important than hard liquor,chauffeur (cause anybody who can drive can be a chauffeur) etc.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    509

    Default Re: How to make self timer for nikon D90?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    don't worry, I have seen these many times, some just simple don't have money, some just set the wrong priority. for whatever reasons, life will still goes on.

    anyway, I know many people willing to help, you may get some PM from volunteers. can keep the option open so you will not be to stressful of shooting the wedding.
    volunteers would be great! especially those who don't mind to cover weddings just for fun

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore
    Posts
    97

    Default Re: How to make self timer for nikon D90?

    May i suggest you find those photographers who are willing to take on this assignment at a cheap ($18/hr) rate or for free? At least they know how to operate a DSLR and some can take pretty good photos for free...

    There are alot of them offering their service at the Personal Service Offered section, and they want to build up their portfolio too..
    Last edited by hongwen37; 10th July 2009 at 11:24 AM.

  15. #15
    Member nice1888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    246

    Default Re: How to make self timer for nikon D90?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    when couples have no requirement or expectation on wedding photography, we can suggest somethings or whatever things, however, ultimately, that is people choice, let them be and respect their decision.

    btw, on the big day, sure will have a lots of aunties making comments like why never do this, never do that, why don't have this don't have that. just smile at them and switch off your ears will do.
    Well said.

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrycoaching View Post
    Hi all! thanx for ur reply....

    This is the situation. My fren is kinda 'broke' for this wedding... if u all noe wat i mean... And he's skipping alot of things like hiring a chauffer, a photographer for this wedding just so that he can save abit of money. He dun even serve hard liqour on his wedding banquet... coz no $

    So, as brothers, wat to do? We jump out and try to capture as many photos as we can lorz.... And yar, photos might not be well taken I agree. But, @ least, we capture some of his wedding photos for him... Better den not having any photos rite?
    Agree, I will help too if my good friend have the same problem.
    I can lend you my Velbon CX540 tripod if you need it (i don't know if it is suit your setup, please check). SMS me at 96703995 (self collect and self return at Hougang Ave 2 or Woodlands industrial Estate Road 9)

  16. #16

    Default Re: How to make self timer for nikon D90?

    Quote Originally Posted by nice1888 View Post
    Well said.



    Agree, I will help too if my good friend have the same problem.
    I can lend you my Velbon CX540 tripod if you need it (i don't know if it is suit your setup, please check). SMS me at 96703995 (self collect and self return at Hougang Ave 2 or Woodlands industrial Estate Road 9)
    I am touched. Really touched by all the replies and offers. Thank you so much... I will need the tripod on 1st aug. so perhaps i will sms u in 2 weeks time? Many thanx!

  17. #17

    Default Re: How to make self timer for nikon D90?

    Just wondering.. why do u want to bring tripod for actual day wedding shoot? I imagine more important gears include... flash (w diffuser), batteries and memory cards (more if u shooting raw), etc.
    ACTS

  18. #18

    Default Re: How to make self timer for nikon D90?

    Quote Originally Posted by trebla View Post
    Just wondering.. why do u want to bring tripod for actual day wedding shoot? I imagine more important gears include... flash (w diffuser), batteries and memory cards (more if u shooting raw), etc.
    because i didnt know all these stuff.. =)

    my frenz memory card can take 1000 photos, battery wise, she says can last the whole day, flash i dun even noe hw to install...

    so, tripod i tot, when i take their group photots, can give more stablilty.

  19. #19
    Member NeTHaCk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    786

    Default Re: How to make self timer for nikon D90?

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrycoaching View Post
    because i didnt know all these stuff.. =)

    my frenz memory card can take 1000 photos, battery wise, she says can last the whole day, flash i dun even noe hw to install...

    so, tripod i tot, when i take their group photots, can give more stablilty.
    haha check your pm again

    not necessarily . Tripods are good but they do get in the way, especially for some candid shots, you gotta unmount and then shoot. by the time you do that, all the "action" gone already.

    depending on situation , i shoot at f5.6 , iso 640-1250 shutter 1/125 or 1/200 with bounced flash .

    spare memory cards + extra batteries for flash. i normally bring 8X AA battery as backup , 4X inside flash already . 4gb SDHC X 2 and an extra enel3(d90 battery)

  20. #20

    Default Re: How to make self timer for nikon D90?

    Day shots don't require tripod since stability is not an issue. I see only reason for tripod is that u intend to be in photos. =)
    Flash with diffuser is needed for indoor shots... then again, if you don't know any of these stuff, hmm... just PnS (Point & Shoot) lah. Remember to put the Dslr in auto mode. =)
    ACTS

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •