Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Melbourne

Default Re: Melbourne

the later u go, the less rock u'll see at the great ocean road =D

i just came back from melb, it's very cold and freezing cold at the great ocean road.. but the sight was really awesome =D just that the weather was rather cloudy..
    Canon - Exhilaration Of Sight 450

I will be going to Melb in Sept for 2 weeks! Anyone can recommend me must-go places? Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by eedwinn View Post
    I will be going to Melb in Sept for 2 weeks! Anyone can recommend me must-go places? Cheers!
    great ocean road!

just came back from my 2 weeks aust trips...just an advise if you driving to great ocean road...at night..even if it's really really dark...dont keep your high beam on all time! Just got a fine ticket from the traffic police...

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    How many Apostles are now left out of the 12 along the Great Ocean Road? My guess is about 7.
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkx View Post
    There are 11 apostles left, 1 went down recently.
    there were never 12 apostles (not the biblical kind).

Quote Originally Posted by josshing View Post
    just came back from my 2 weeks aust trips...just an advise if you driving to great ocean road...at night..even if it's really really dark...dont keep your high beam on all time! Just got a fine ticket from the traffic police...
    I'm not at all surprised you got slapped with an infringement. driving with high beams on all the time, especially with oncoming traffic is not fun to the oncoming driver. for your sake I hope it isn't a big fine though. VicPolice is known to be quite tough on issues like that for some reason or another.
    Last edited by terryansimon; 23rd July 2009 at 03:59 PM.
    chicken fight!

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    thanks! actually i found this hotel, novotel glen waverley which looks pretty near to the campus... but not sure if this hotel is very far from the city area? i intend to rent a car and ask my dad to drive us ard... probably will go to those usual tourist places like great ocean road, hunter's valley etc.
    to be honest the Novotel Glen Waverley looks like a decent place to stay in. I go by there regularly due to the nature of my commuting. it really depends on what you want to do, but you may want to find a Novotel branch somewhere around the city so that you're nearer to the sights and smells of the city.

and as for the person who actually recommended St Kilda... are you serious? the suburb is renowned for its street side prostitution and drug dealers, and people who are as high as a pie. not the place you want your folks to be at if you ask me. I almost moved to that suburb but decided not to when I found out for myself what was going on when the sun sets.

if you need help, let me know. I'm a Monash Clayton student myself, and would be more than glad to help out if need be.
    chicken fight!

well, it was dark, raining (just got on A1 to Melb), no car in front of me, and cant see far, of cause will just high beam on. i do lower when got on coming traffic, but the police just wanna be a**l...
    Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post
    there were never 12 apostles (not the biblical kind).

I'm not at all surprised you got slapped with an infringement. driving with high beams on all the time, especially with oncoming traffic is not fun to the oncoming driver. for your sake I hope it isn't a big fine though. VicPolice is known to be quite tough on issues like that for some reason or another.

well, it was dark, raining (just got on A1 to Melb), no car in front of me, and cant see far, of cause will just high beam on. i do lower when got on coming traffic, but the police just wanna be a**l...
    figures. did you get pulled over, or did you receive a summons in the mail a couple of weeks later?
    chicken fight!

to be honest the Novotel Glen Waverley looks like a decent place to stay in. I go by there regularly due to the nature of my commuting. it really depends on what you want to do, but you may want to find a Novotel branch somewhere around the city so that you're nearer to the sights and smells of the city.

and as for the person who actually recommended St Kilda... are you serious? the suburb is renowned for its street side prostitution and drug dealers, and people who are as high as a pie. not the place you want your folks to be at if you ask me. I almost moved to that suburb but decided not to when I found out for myself what was going on when the sun sets.

if you need help, let me know. I'm a Monash Clayton student myself, and would be more than glad to help out if need be.
    wow... i didn't know the hotel is situated in this area... so any hotels nearby the campus that you would recommend? i am totally clueless about melbourne... never been there for my whole life.

figures. did you get pulled over, or did you receive a summons in the mail a couple of weeks later?
    well..got pulled over. the police said he high beam me a few times to signal me. well he never turn on his police siren or even the light. how i know it's a police car behind me? and he show no mercy even i told him i am tourist from Sg and staying just for a week.

he took my license and issued me a ticket. then tell me: "i dont care if you gonna pay it or not. i just want to give u a ticket"

wth

wow... i didn't know the hotel is situated in this area... so any hotels nearby the campus that you would recommend? i am totally clueless about melbourne... never been there for my whole life.
    it depends on where you want to stay. there are two motels located at Clayton itself, one is a motor inn of sorts and the other is located next to a TAB (think of it like a place where old people go to gamble, and I can't find the link for it.)

check out the surrounding suburbs as well, like Oakleigh, Chadstone just to name a few. the Novotel Glen Waverley looks nice as well on the outside.

like somebody correctly pointed out, check out the Quest/Accor sites and look for these few suburbs. other suburbs to look out for that are near Clayton are

Mount Waverley
    Chadstone
    Syndal/Glen Waverley
    Oakleigh
    Caulfield

there are many more suburbs in between but I intentionally did not mention them because they can be quite dodgy at some times of the day, or generally is a dodgy area to begin with. I would recommend Chadstone or Glen Waverley, if only because you'd be near a shopping centre (Chadstone) or a huge chinese suburb full of chinese food (Glen Waverley).

also, if you noticed, I did not mention Clayton as a suburb I'd recommend living in for a while, if only for the astronomical crime rate they have there. but if it's just a temporary thing, do check out those two motels. and, you can check out the MRS website. if I remember correctly, Monash University itself does arrange for temporary accommodation for parents and people, although I'm not sure if that includes graduates like yourself.

well..got pulled over. the police said he high beam me a few times to signal me. well he never turn on his police siren or even the light. how i know it's a police car behind me? and he show no mercy even i told him i am tourist from Sg and staying just for a week.

he took my license and issued me a ticket. then tell me: "i dont care if you gonna pay it or not. i just want to give u a ticket"

wth
    again, why am I not surprised. VicPolice are known to be quite the hard ball coppers.

if you're renting a car, be careful because most rental companies in Australia will charge you a $50 fee for any administration fee that occurs from getting a fine. while you were pulled over and issued a direct summons, they could jolly well send a summons to the car rental company, who will then re-forward it to you. when that happens, be careful. I'd monitor your statements for a while just to make sure nothing happens.
    Last edited by terryansimon; 23rd July 2009 at 06:49 PM.
    chicken fight!

Road trips rock in Melbourne. Recently the Aussie Tourism Bureau introduced a new website, dedicated for road trips (http://www.australianroadtrips.com/). I think there're some great ideas there.

Here's what I did for a 2D1N roadtrip last year with my husband - We went onto the GOR not through Torquay which is the typical tourist/tour bus route, but inland via the A1. After a 3hr drive, we arrived at the Apostles (and there aren't 11) around midday. Thereafter we went on the scenic round on the GOR. Stayed over in YHA Queenscliff. Took the car ferry fr Queenscliff over to Sorrento the next morning and went around Mornington Peninsula (great wines and fruit). We did this cos we wanted to avoid the crowd that usually comes by the bus loads after 2pm. If you went the normal way through Torquay, you'll be travelling with the tour buses. Not fun.

Forget Philip Island. Not enough fairy penguins these days. Healesville Sanctuary is a great place. Between Yarra Valley & Mornington Peninsula, I personally think Mornington has better wines these days.

Since you'll be at Clayton, you mustn't miss this one - Vietnamese food at nearby suburb Springvale! Nothing in SG comes close! Boxhill also serves pretty nice Chinese/Cantonese cuisines.

I'm sure you'll have heaps of fun cos Melbourne's one of the world's most liveable cities!

Quote Originally Posted by poohgirl View Post
    Here's what I did for a 2D1N roadtrip last year with my husband - We went onto the GOR not through Torquay which is the typical tourist/tour bus route, but inland via the A1. After a 3hr drive, we arrived at the Apostles (and there aren't 11) around midday. Thereafter we went on the scenic round on the GOR. Stayed over in YHA Queenscliff. Took the car ferry fr Queenscliff over to Sorrento the next morning and went around Mornington Peninsula (great wines and fruit). We did this cos we wanted to avoid the crowd that usually comes by the bus loads after 2pm. If you went the normal way through Torquay, you'll be travelling with the tour buses. Not fun.

unfortunately, the proper start of the Great Ocean Road can only be accessed if you come in from Torquay (if I remember correctly).

by proper start I mean going through a huge signage saying Great Ocean Road, and also reading up on how the GOR came to be.

Quote Originally Posted by poohgirl View Post
    Forget Philip Island. Not enough fairy penguins these days.
    it does depend on what season you're going in. I've been to Philip Island about five times now, and each time I have not paid to see the penguins, only because you get to see them for free at the Seal Island look out point. they're actually so near you, you can reach out and touch them if you want. plus, it doesn't smell of droppings, and you get to see a giant blowhole. it's past the penguin parade area, so there's no payment necessary, although the roads do close past a certain hour.
    chicken fight!

Quote Originally Posted by eedwinn View Post
    www.visitvictoria.com is a good friend for you.
    chicken fight!

thanks! actually i found this hotel, novotel glen waverley which looks pretty near to the campus... but not sure if this hotel is very far from the city area? i intend to rent a car and ask my dad to drive us ard... probably will go to those usual tourist places like great ocean road, hunter's valley etc.
    you'd probably want to take a few more days to take a look at all that mate haha
    i mean no offence by this but singaporeans tend to think some distances in australia are like here where everything is about 30 mins away, over there can be a few days drive haha
    again please dont take that offensively haha
    if you want to explore country victoria its probably a good idea to have at least a week if not more, its bigger then it looks

as for accommodation, imho best thing would be to get a hotel in the city if you're only planning on staying 5 days or so, clayton isnt that far away from the city.
    or you could consider a hotel in brighton somewhere, thats a little closer but also within grasp of the city.

oh and yes i am australian haha
    hope that helped.. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by rgy1993 View Post
    you'd probably want to take a few more days to take a look at all that mate haha
    i mean no offence by this but singaporeans tend to think some distances in australia are like here where everything is about 30 mins away, over there can be a few days drive haha
    again please dont take that offensively haha
    if you want to explore country victoria its probably a good idea to have at least a week if not more, its bigger then it looks

as for accommodation, imho best thing would be to get a hotel in the city if you're only planning on staying 5 days or so, clayton isnt that far away from the city.
    or you could consider a hotel in brighton somewhere, thats a little closer but also within grasp of the city.

oh and yes i am australian haha
    hope that helped.. cheers
    haha i am on tight budget cos i am paying for everything (from air tix to accomodations and expenses) cos i wanted my parents to attend my graduation ceremony. but its not going to be my last trip here though! i will be back again.

Be careful when driving there..
    When I came back from Melbourne, a few months later,
    I was slapped with 11-12 tickets, which totalled up to $2k..
    I was speechless... Let me remind u.. Do not speed over there..

Quote Originally Posted by Cashmere View Post
    Be careful when driving there..
    When I came back from Melbourne, a few months later,
    I was slapped with 11-12 tickets, which totalled up to $2k..
    I was speechless... Let me remind u.. Do not speed over there..
    i wun be driving... most probably my dad cos i got no license

Then tell ur dad to be careful..

yup.

not kidding when I say don't speed.

there's no such thing as 10% allowance.
    there's no such thing as "oh it was down a slope therefore my car picked up speed"
    there's no such thing as "oh the car tyres are bigger than normal and hence I had a higher rolling speed"
    there's no such thing as "I was being tailgated and hence I had to move out of the way"

also, be careful. Victoria, particularly the metro areas such as Melbourne, is slowly phasing IN them speed cameras that also double up as red light cameras. what they do in fact is to

a) catch you if you decide to run a red light
    b) catch you if you decide to run a red light by SPEEDING
    c) catch you if you decide to SPEED.

so it's a three in one thingamajig, and unless you're a Melburnian, you're not likely to be able to identify the difference between the two (speed sensitive red light cameras and the normal ones that is). so watch it when you see the words "Traffic Cameras operating in this area"
    Last edited by terryansimon; 24th July 2009 at 07:15 AM.
    chicken fight!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast